Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's with the dot on smith goggle lenses?

I always thought they were marked as demos or something to deter theft But I picked up a pair of Vice's for my daughter for her birthday and lo & behold they have it too. I checked out other peoples Smith's at the hill and they all seem to have it but there's no mention of it or its function in the users manual and a google search turned up nothing. What's the deal with it? Some kind of pressure release valve maybe?
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

GPS Tracking, Thanks Obama...

Adsorbs solar radiation.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

I think it's to prevent fogging and relieve pressure between the lenses

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I think it's to prevent fogging and relieve pressure between the lenses
    So You're saying I answered my own question?

It's a goretex marketing gimmick

Ever since smith went to porex lens they've been garbage. Gone from A+ fog control with a prodigy Frame/lens to a c- with the O series. Not all the lens fault, but design is garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

No such tingamabob on my old Fuse googles.

It is a pressure relief mechanism. It's described in Smith clinics as a "gore-tex like" plug to alleviate pressure between the lenses if taken in a plane. As far as I know Smith is one of the few, if not the only, manufacturer to fully seal double lenses rather than use a foam product which can allow moisture to get between the two lenses. Pretty sure the only lenses that still have this technology are the I/O series.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Ever since smith went to porex lens they've been garbage. Gone from A+ fog control with a prodigy Frame/lens to a c- with the O series. Not all the lens fault, but design is garbage.
    I must be lucky as hell as I have 2 pairs of I/OX and have been skiing them since the first day they released the I/OX and have had zero issues with fogging...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I must be lucky as hell as I have 2 pairs of I/OX and have been skiing them since the first day they released the I/OX and have had zero issues with fogging...
    Do you wear a helmet? Using my smith varient helps but without a helmet the fault I find is there is a open space between the top of frame and the lense. Snow gets in there on powder days, then melts (exp when hiking) and leaks down, creating condensation and fogging along the top. It happens with my I/0 and I/OX.
    get paid

Do you wear a helmet? Using my smith varient helps but without a helmet the fault I find is there is a open space between the top of frame and the lense. Snow gets in there on powder days, then melts (exp when hiking) and leaks down, creating condensation and fogging along the top. It happens with my I/0 and I/OX.
    Fair point... Never skied with them w/o helmet... I ski with 2 diff Giro helmets and never had an issue with I/O or I/OX... Hate Oakleys and my Smiths have never let me down... Dig the Annon quick change, but Smiths get it done for me now...

Goggles have user manuals?... I hope I've been doing it right.

Live and ski in northwest b.c. lots of wet days. When goggles soaked on long wet days and then transported wet in humid environment home from ski tour days, I suspect porex vent allows moisture to penetrate interior of lenses creating fog in between. Seal around lens intact, only weakness could be the porex vent hole. Sounds good in theory, lousy real world (in the harshest of conditions) results. To remove moisture, i hang the goggles over a drier vent...warm/hot dry air seems to do the trick; heating the lenses and pumping out the moisture. But over a few winters the repeated fogging/drying cycling has resulted in permanent (slight) clouding of interior lenses due to residue. This happened with every goggle I ever owned...a bit less with this lens but not perfect mouse trap yet.

I don't wear a helmet and have had zero issues with fogging or snow getting in.

Interesting, the only manufacturer that mentions a gizmo like this at all is Electric:
    When you're at higher elevations, pressure buildup between the lenses can cause optical distortion, so a pressure valve is placed on the lens to prevent this from happening.
    And why wouldn't Smith put it in a more unobtrusive location? It's pretty much out of your vision range but still...

Humid weather and powder = smith foggles. Touring at Fahrenheit 25 to 30 degrees = I/ox foggles. You have to baby these I've found.

It is, as people have said, to allow moisture/pressure out from between the sealed lenses.

If you're having problems with Smith lenses fogging, make sure to take them out of their bag & frame at the end of the day and let them sit indoors for an hour or more. I was having horrific problems with all 3 of my lenses fogging, contacted Smith, and was told to try this. I started religiously taking them out of the storage bags at night and had zero problems after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post

If you're having problems with Smith lenses fogging, make sure to take them out of their bag & frame at the end of the day and let them sit indoors for an hour or more. I was having horrific problems with all 3 of my lenses fogging, contacted Smith, and was told to try this. I started religiously taking them out of the storage bags at night and had zero problems after that.
    This is why I hang my goggles off the mirror on the drive home after a wet day.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

I used to use prodigies. They were awesome. I havent been able to use any smith goggles since those without fogging issues. I use Oakleys now and have not had a problem. Optics are better too. Only thing I miss is the blue sensor mirror on really shit light days.

Thread needs theRawg
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Thread needs theRawg
    He'd just remind us that the Roj doesn't wear goggles.
    get paid

also my experience. pre-porex lenses were somehow much better, i wouldnt say the newer ones are garbage, but they arent as good anymore.

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    also my experience. pre-porex lenses were somehow much better, i wouldnt say the newer ones are garbage, but they arent as good anymore.

freak~[&]
    I guess I should clarify. The porex lens are OK, tho they aren't as good as previous lens. My main Gripe is with the design of the I/O series. The open space between the top of the frame and lens is an obvious flaw, allowing snow to wedge into that area and leak thru leading to fogging.
    get paid

Anti vibration device licensed from K2. "If it blinkin, it's thinkin!"
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.