Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for "playful charger"

I'm looking for a new pair of relatively fat skis to compliment my brahmas. I mostly ski in the east, specifically Vermont but take around 1 to 2 trips out west. I'd consider myself a solid advanced skier but not quite an expert. I enjoy skiing the whole mountain and particularly off piste.
    I'd like these skis to be around 108-120 in waist and to be able to bust through crud yet also be manageable in tight spaces. Pow performance is also relevant but I wouldn't expect these to perform as well as a dedicated powder ski. Groomer performance is not as important but I'd like these to be somewhat manageable. So basically what I want is around a 115 sized ski that can chop thru crud, float well in around a foot of powder, and perform well in trees. Also I'm around 5'9 and 170 lbs.
    Skis on my short list are the:
    Moment bibby pro
    On3p billy goat
    Rossignol sickle
    Line supernatural 108
    Praxis gpo
    praxis concept

Thread is now where it belongs

And yet you failed to delete the craptastic thread you left in the main forum on this topic
    Clean up yer shit JONG.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    You know that "playful" and "charger" are essentially oxymorons, right? That said, I'd take a good look at the Gotama and Cochise or 2016 Bodacious ... slight rocker with a bit of stiffness.

my first option would be the jeffrey 114

Praxis MVP
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Kied View Post
    You know that "playful" and "charger" are essentially oxymorons, right? That said, I'd take a good look at the Gotama and Cochise or 2016 Bodacious ... slight rocker with a bit of stiffness.
    2016 Billy Goat is both more of a 'charger' and more 'playful' than a 2016 Bodacious, FWIW. New Bodacious is very much more a powder ski than it's predecessor. More on that to follow.

The 2016 192 Cochise and 189 Billy Goat are what I would choose (in the two different widths) to fill this roll. Based on his post however, I would encourage him/her to explore the 178 Armada Invictus. 179 Gunsmoke or 179 Billy Goat.

In my opinion the GPO is a playful charger and fits your bill pretty well. 187 would be a good length. Haven't had experience with the rest on the list, but most seem like good choices

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    2016 Billy Goat is both more of a 'charger' and more 'playful' than a 2016 Bodacious, FWIW. New Bodacious is very much more a powder ski than it's predecessor. More on that to follow.

The 2016 192 Cochise and 189 Billy Goat are what I would choose (in the two different widths) to fill this roll. Based on his post however, I would encourage him/her to explore the 178 Armada Invictus. 179 Gunsmoke or 179 Billy Goat.
    This.

Would a billy goat in 186 be too long? And can someone clue me in on the gunsmoke

I mean. Slightly fatter than specified, but it tight spaces, I actually think the caylor/jeff122 is less of a handful than the billy goat in sub optimal conditions. Goat is definitely more of a charger.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Consider the Atomic Automatic 117. They are very versatile. I find them capable of many turn shapes and styles despite having a 19m turn radius. They love all kinds of powder and are the best tree ski I've ever been on. As far as being a charger, they have a speed limit but it's pretty high. I find if you keep them on edge you never have a real problem with stability. In crud, you have to be a highly reactive skier because they do get bucked around if you get lazy on them but I never felt truly out of control. And they carve pretty well on the groomers too. I ride the 186cm and I am 5'10" 160.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive mammal View Post
    Would a billy goat in 186 be too long? And can someone clue me in on the gunsmoke
    I'm 5' 11" / 170 pounds and the 186 was a no brainer. If I was a little smaller, I'd still get the same size.

Appreciate the responses. Was wondering if anyone who has experience on either the mvp, gpo, or billy goats will describe any of these skis as hooky

^^^ there are threads on all three of these skis, do your own homework.

You're searching skills are horrendous dude. If you want some decent answers, do some work. Otherwise screw off.

The MVP is definitely not hooky at all.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I've owned the mvp and currently have gpo, neither were 'hooky' and both were/are really awesome. (5'11 on 187cm)

So as a a western travel ski and east coast soft snow ski would the MVP, gpo, or bg be ideal. Still open to any other ski suggestion. Oh and btw I did search the threads for these ski comparisons and found threads about the gpo and bg but none of them being compared to the MVP. However I may just truly have terrible searching skills

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive mammal View Post
    So as a a western travel ski and east coast soft snow ski would the MVP, gpo, or bg be ideal.
    If you bring along a narrower ski to back it up when you travel somewhere and it is sitting in the middle of a high pressure system for two weeks. Otherwise I would go with something in the high 100s.

Looking for "playful charger"

^^^read about each one and take your conclusions! wanna know specifics about the mvp read the praxis thread, you can find a lot of BG vs GPO but the mvp doesn't really get into the picture since it's quite a bit diferent ski than the other two!

bg and gpo could be of more use on your trips but given how things are with snow out west and if you don't expect east magical winters to continue, between these 3 the MVP would be the best in my opinion, 110 is a great width and you should be able to float in a foot without any issue!

also keith is running a sale right now and you should be able to get it for $460 or so...

but, but it's hard to think of anything bad about the BG, I've skied them quite a lot this season in less than ideal conditions and it's an awesome wide all mountain ski for big terrain!

Would also like to throw the moment deathwish into the mix and see how it compares to the others

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    my first option would be the jeffrey 114
    Second this. I purchased the Jeffrey 110 as a second ski to my BGs, and they kill it. They are playful and charge, especially in variable conditions. I use them for anything less than 6 inches of powder. Another option may be a Blizzard Peacemaker, on blister they sound similar to Jeffrey performance wise, that is probably the ski I would of purchased if it wasn't for the Jeffrey.

[QUOTE=XavierD;4461879]2016 Billy Goat is both more of a 'charger' and more 'playful' than a 2016 Bodacious, FWIW. New Bodacious is very much more a powder ski than it's predecessor. More on that to follow.

Agreed. Meant to write 2015, with the metal. It was an afterthought since he mentioned something in the 108-120 range.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Agreed. Meant to write 2015, with the metal. It was an afterthought since he mentioned something in the 108-120 range.

4frnt Hoji. Seems like everyone thinks that the Renegade is the only ski that 4frnt makes...