Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    [QUOTE=XavierD;4461879]2016 Billy Goat is both more of a 'charger' and more 'playful' than a 2016 Bodacious, FWIW. New Bodacious is very much more a powder ski than it's predecessor. More on that to follow.

Agreed. Meant to write 2015, with the metal. It was an afterthought since he mentioned something in the 108-120 range.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    2016 Billy Goat is both more of a 'charger' and more 'playful' than a 2016 Bodacious, FWIW. New Bodacious is very much more a powder ski than it's predecessor. More on that to follow.
    Agreed. Meant to write 2015, with the metal. It was an afterthought since he mentioned something in the 108-120 range.

4frnt Hoji. Seems like everyone thinks that the Renegade is the only ski that 4frnt makes...

Quote Originally Posted by garretvs View Post
    4frnt Hoji. Seems like everyone thinks that the Renegade is the only ski that 4frnt makes...
    Seconded. Poppy and bouncy, still a directional charger. Can also lay trenches on groomed if skied right.

4FRNT Hoji

How about the YLE? Haven't skied them, though I would like to. Have seen 4frnt call it a big mountain ski with park dimensions.

I put stability at the top of the list of required characteristics when someone says anything 'charger.' So the Hoji is right out; along with the renegade. I guess they work if you are a 160lb Canadian with perfect balance, but I like my weight forward when skiing fast.
    YMMV.
    The YLE is a symmetrical ski, so unless spinning and skiing backwards are high on your priority list, I would pass over it.

Kye line looks promising though. Funny how camber does a ski good.

praxis Rx
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive mammal View Post
    Would also like to throw the moment deathwish into the mix and see how it compares to the others
    Nothing against Moment at all, but if your considering this, you should be lookin at the Concept
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I put stability at the top of the list of required characteristics when someone says anything 'charger.' So the Hoji is right out; along with the renegade. I guess they work if you are a 160lb Canadian with perfect balance, but I like my weight forward when skiing fast.
    YMMV.
    did you ever ski the 195? or are you referring to the shape in general? just curious. i should have never been on the 187 so i'll leave my opinion out.

Second vote for the Bibby Pro. I ski in the east as well (Maine), and have been on this ski exclusively all season for resort and touring (I've got sollyfit plates on mine). They're easily wide enough to float well in deep soft stuff, stiff enough to blast through chopped up and crud, yet "playful" enough to do just about any turn you want in trees or softer bumps. And the moustache rocker truly works... it'll carve hardpack and groomers pretty damn well for being a pretty wide ski. Only thing that sucks is the topsheet chips if you even look at it wrong. That said, bases have been pretty tough.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    did you ever ski the 195?
    No, but I don't think that would have changed the wishy washy feel of the skis.

No, but I don't think that would have changed the wishy washy feel of the skis.
    No offence, but pretty much every review disagrees with you, as do I. They're a full reverse camber pow ski, and they ski great in anything soft. They feel unstable on ice at speed, but that's not what they're for.

Another vote for the Bibby Pro. Full rocker, but stiff enough to push snow at speed. Decent on groomers too. It skies very similar to a Rocker2, but with more punch.

Looking for "playful charger"

I haven't skied the hoji, but the renegade belongs on the list. They don't work for everybody, and they do require a style adjustment, but they hit all the criteria (including stability) and they're so much slashy fun if you can figure them out. Maybe the hoji hits those marks better, I dunno....
    focus.

get some Fischer Ranger. They charge and ski well in every kind of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by europaul View Post
    get some Fischer Ranger. They charge and ski well in every kind of snow.
    There isn't a single ski that ski well in every kind of snow.

I need some quiver advice and don't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd hijack this one. Skip down a couple paragraphs if you have ADD.

I'm 6', 167lbs and currently ski 187 GPO medium+ flex with carbon layup (not UL core) as my soft snow resort ski. I got medium+ because I didn't want the ski to be too demanding (stupid) and got the carbon layup (even stupider) because I have CAST and occasionally do short tours on this ski. Overall this is probably the best ski I've ever owned, but in deep, chopped up snow it gets deflected. a lot.

Unlike a lot of people in this thread and the GPO vs billy goat thread, I absolutely love this ski in pow (I'm putting dynafits on them), and have no problem charging in untracked/partially tracked. the problem is getting back to the lift through the really skiied out shit. I ski pretty centered, with a little bit of pressure on the tongues.

Originally I was going to get another pair in the standard layup but with the Canadian $ at a 10 year low, and me spending a bunch of money on courses/trips this year, I'm going to have to find something cheaper.
    I'm looking for something that is easy to ski like the GPO but better in chop, and this is what I can get fairly cheap:

TL/DR Summary: Which of the following skis like a 187 Medium+ GPO w/ carbon but doesn't get bucked in chop?

187 Hoji - Looks like a fun ski but sounds like you really have to be on it when skiing chop.
    186 Volkl One - Sounds interesting, haven't found any good comparisons to the GPO.
    186 Moment Governor - worried it might be too demanding for me.
    184/190 Moment Bibby Pro - this is what I'm looking at the hardest right now, though not sure what size I'd go with, Haven't drank the 'longer is always better' TGR kool-aid.
    186 ON3p Billy Goat (maybe) - found a pair with the heli topsheet (2nd gen I think) on craigslist, I had the first gens for a season and hated them with a passion, but I hear they are a way different ski now. these skis will likely sell before I can get my hands on them though.

Quote Originally Posted by powder fiend View Post
    ...187 GPO medium+ flex with carbon layup ... in deep, chopped up snow it gets deflected. a lot.
    Your GPO skis weigh only about 2064g per ski. At speed, lightweight skis can get deflected. Maybe get something heavier...and maybe stiff underfoot.

Tell me some other skis you've tried that pleased you for deflection.

Last edited by Vitamin I; 09-19-2015 at 11:11 PM.
    - TRADE your heavy BILLYGOATS or PROTESTS for my lightweight versions at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The last two posts are both good ideas.

If the gpo weighs 2060 g, the weight is not the reason it gets deflected.

I ski the carbon katana, around 1800 g, and it's pretty steady in chop, in heavier Sierra snow.

Bibby Pro

From the list - Govenor first and than Bibby... Govenor is not demanding...! I own the 192 GPO and did not find the Govenor any more demanding... I def like it more than my 190 Bibbys I own...

And if you are open to suggestions you should look at the Volkl Shiro... Loved the ski and last years model can be found pretty easily and on the cheap...
    Last edited by Undertow; 09-20-2015 at 04:50 AM.