Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Jackson Conditions 2015

Maybe a bit premature but I figured this would be a good place to post Jackson/Tetons riding conditions. Looking out my office window, Josis is getting closer by the day, I'd say by the end of next week it'll be game on.

I've heard of people digging on Parallel. Any reports? I'm sure a few of us putting 4-6 hours of snow removal on that trail would pay large dividends come April. Can't be too far off considering the exposure.

Finally, for the racers out there, there are three series that are worth looking at...

http://www.montanaenduro.com/
    http://www.bigmountainenduro.com/
    http://endurocupmtb.com/

We totally have bikes on the brain too
    fyi Josie's is closed until 4/30 for winter wildlife closure though- rats- bc it is looking nice
    We've been killing the bike paths though and I imagine early melters like pine crk bench zone on the other side of pine crk pass will be good to go soon?

Skablam! Pumped as well. Was cruising for bike content yesterday and almost got in the car to check out pine creek. I imagine the Victor jump park is up and running for the truly desperate.

Would definitely be interested in a few of the closer stops of the Montana series. Brap! Another guy from work wants in as well. Carpools. Potentially team trophy?

Been meaning to finish up editing my super weak punter JH season edit, will have to get on that now.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Potential schedule (I'll likely do 1/2-3/4 of these barring me staying healthy)

Sea Otter April 17-18
    Moab Enduro Cup May 9
    Helena Montana Enduro May 16
    Bend Oregon June 6-7
    Hood River June 20-21 (Missoula MT alternative)
    Sun Valley Idaho Enduro Cup June 27-28 (alternative - Snowmass CO BME)
    Keystone BME July 11-12
    Bozeman Montana Enduro July 18
    Targhee Montana Enduro August 2 (alternative - CB, CO BME/EWS - its full though)
    Canyons Enduro Cup August 15 (alternative Whitefish Montana race)
    Steamboat Enduro X August 23 (alternative Mount Bachelor Oregon Race)
    Winter Park BME September 4-5
    Mount Hood Oregon September 12 & 13
    Red Lodge Montana Enduro September 20

EDIT - good call on Josis. Dammit. I'd wager we are riding most stuff by the time that's a go...
    Last edited by JeffreyJim; 03-23-2015 at 03:12 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1427743624.649063.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	986.7 KB 
ID:	165730

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1427743656.773718.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	165731

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1427743674.003744.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	165732

Fun overnight in Idaho this weekend. Camp in swan valley, bike in Pocatello (getting pretty dry up top, great conditions on lower trails) with lava hot springs finish. Su-pah!

Anybody been up to putt putt yet?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Just a FYI on the Montana series: scoring is best 4 of the 6 so the schedule above has you in the running for the overall. Registration is open for the Helena race, and the others should be up soon.

Should be fun.

Looks like I'll be doing at least the Helena race with another dude from work here and for sure the Sun Valley race. Pumped!

Anyone ever ridden Green River? May head down third weekend in April. Pretty close to town and looks like some fun desert riding.

Conditions update from friends of pathways FB:

"There are two pretty wet spots on Putt-Putt, if you are coming from the bottom - the first spot in the tress and then right before you come around the corner on the butte, near the Wood's Canyon trail. almost rideable, but would definitely create some big ruts. Sidewalk it much the same."

also...

"Bench Trail near Swan Valley also still has lots of muddy sections as of yesterday."

Heard whispers people have been riding the more open zones at Horseshoe.

Horseshoe has a wildlife closure until the 15th.

Word. Thanks PD. Got my fingers crossed for some sort of putt putt attempt later this week...

I drove through the pine creek area on wednesday and it sure was looking dry from the road. Thanks for posting the enduro schedule, I'd like to make a few this season as well. Good to see Targhee on there. I haven't given a ton of thought to riding yet but the bike is ready to go and we sure are far ahead of where we were last season at least.

Also for the XC Racers...Pocatello Pedal Fest June 13

Rode Putt Putt from the Nelson trailhead Saturday night... dry on the Sidewalk route up through the Wiggle and about a 1/4 past the wiggle in both directions. Got a solid 1.5 hours in, trail fairies have been doing some work on the Wiggle corners too. Yahoo!

The good news on the dirt in our back yard... Our local F.S Trail Manager Scott Bossell took a long walk up Horseshoe Canyon with his chain saw this afternoon and cleared 16 trees for us, Thank you! It's ride time dirt soldiers!! Sharks Belly is still holding a bit of snow so, please be respectful to the FEW areas of wet. Ride Teton Dirt!
    Caught this post on facebook today and had to give it a try. Really fun out there and a super nice day. There's a few spots still holding snow but for the most part its full on summer conditions.

Fun Saturday afternoon at Horseshoe (can't believe how dry it is!) and a good long ride on the Putt Putt last night. It's good to go from the next intersection with the road past the Wiggle, and drying out quick. Higher than that still needs a chainsaw.

Putt Putt & Wiggle I have ridden a bunch in the past few days & it has been fun. If I can't do great spring ski touring, I might as well make the best of it& ride my bike.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Putt Putt is 99% melted. The upper sections could benefit from another day of drying but I didn't feel bad about riding to the end, though I did walk a couple muddy/snowy spots. Great dirt out there today.

Ferrins is dry to the base of the top meadow, after that still pretty snowed in. One or two spots to walk around on the way down but otherwise good to go.

Rode Munger after the rain last night and it is in stellar shape. Aspens are lighting up and it was super pretty with nobody out. Get those corners in over there before the grass grows in and you can't see shit again!

dang thought munger would still be muddy- good to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    dang thought munger would still be muddy- good to hear!
    I was really surprised. Maybe one 2X2 patch of snow off the trail during the ride, and a little greasy in some corners, but not even as much as I would've expected for it having just downpoured. Riding great though! Sometime I'll have to try and tackle Big Munger though...

Munger Mountain south of Wilson has been riding awesome the last week. Wally World-> Squaw Creek-> Tusky Ridge-> Poison Creek loop is all dry & super fast. Everyone seems to do that same route, so you rarely see people going up or down versus Cache Creek were it is packed.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Altaholic View Post
    Munger Mountain south of Wilson has been riding awesome the last week. Wally World-> Squaw Creek-> Tusky Ridge-> Poison Creek loop is all dry & super fast. Everyone seems to do that same route, so you rarely see people going up or down versus Cache Creek were it is packed.
    Yeah I never understood why the suggestion route is always going up Poison instead of down it... some of the best corners and braaap'ier spots in the network.

In other news, West Game has been cleared from the bottom at least up to the top of the downhill. Rode that Friday and the F.S. guys have been doing a ton of work, including some re-routes that include a benched section that's got some fun wallridey sections.

Also, Phillips Ridge is dry and cleared except for maybe 4 small snow patches from the bottom all the way to below the Boy Scout switchbacks below the top ridge. Haven't looked up Phillips Canyon yet. Thanks trail fairies! Anyone know when a dig day is coming up?

Random odd question. My brother in law is bringing his kids up here after Memorial Day weekend and his 5 year old loves shredding the dirt jumps on his Strider. Any thoughts on a place we could take the little guy to rip around where he wouldn't get run over? Obviously, his stamina isn't massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Random odd question. My brother in law is bringing his kids up here after Memorial Day weekend and his 5 year old loves shredding the dirt jumps on his Strider. Any thoughts on a place we could take the little guy to rip around where he wouldn't get run over? Obviously, his stamina isn't massive.
    Try the bike park in Victor- perfect for kids.

In other news, over here on the Spud side the aspen trail is riding really well. Creeks not too high, one mud spot in normal place. As said earlier, Horseshoe Loops in good shape, but the latest news says that there's a dead moose up near the 5-way on Cody's, and something has been feeding on it. Might not be a bad idea to bring your bear spray over there. Mill Creek is clear to the overlook. Lots of plans for trail work in place for this summer- I'll post up when I have more details.

I ran into a mountain lion on Cody's just off from the five way a few years ago. Good habitat back there. Be careful!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident