Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Im not going to make any claims on being super tuned to flats, so i dont jinx my self, but so far so good but i really hope i dont catch a pedsl to the shin. That definitely crosses my mind. Exploded my rear der earlier today and did a couple chainless laps. Forgot i was chainless and went for some quick pedal strokes to make a gap. Close csll as i spun my feet off and somehow i didnt get stung. Suspension was working great though, even though i think i blew my dvo jade as well

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I’m gonna piggyback a question to this thread. I haven’t read the entire thread but I’m a recent flat convert and have been riding on Five Ten’s. They have incredible sticktion but after 2 months the rubber sole is already delaminating in several areas. Are they the only show in town? Any recommendations for something more durable but still grippy? Lighter weight would be a plus as well.

fix em with shoo goo

arent the 5 10 soles just soft rubber which is gona break down ?

My shoes has a squiggley pattern of ribs that the pins fit into that seem to last
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    fix em with shoo goo

arent the 5 10 soles just soft rubber which is gona break down ?

My shoes has a squiggley pattern of ribs that the pins fit into that seem to last
    I've got 5.10 Impacts that I'm still running that I bought in 2016. Soles are roughed up pretty good, but no delam issues.

I'd personally return them for warranty, since they are so new...

Tell me about flat pedals

Recently picked up a pair of Ride Concepts Hellcats and could not be happier with them.

Had been looking for something similar to the old 661 SPDs and the hellcats fit the bill.

The main reason for not going with free rides is because I knew they were going to fall apart in short order. The Ride Concepts construction seems bomber so far. They are also stiff soled and very supportive. A+ from me

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Recently picked up a pair of Ride Concepts Hellcats and could not be happier with them.

Had been looking for something similar to the old 661 SPDs and the hellcats fit the bill.

The main reason for not going with free rides is because I knew they were going to fall apart in short order. The Ride Concepts construction seems bomber so far. They are also stiff soled and very supportive. A+ from me
    Please provide update in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Please provide update in 3 years.
    Five Ten quality and durability has reportedly gone downhill since Adidas acquired them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Five Ten quality and durability has reportedly gone downhill since Adidas acquired them.
    I, too, have heard this. All the more reason to warranty them bishes. Just keep making 'em give you new shoes if they fall apart.

Ride concepts are great. 3 yrs on mine as my main shoe. Still going but need a replacement. Picked up the new etnies culvert mtb shoe. Working very well. If they last like the ride concepts theyll be as good. Nice features on the etnies

https://etnies.com/collections/mens/...mid-black-lime

Sign up for the newsletter and get 20% off and free shipping. Pretty sick deal actually

Just got in line for a set of Tenet Occult flats. Says sometime in October. Not sure why I latched on to these, but why fucking not. TMACs are selling for $180 now, which is outrageous, but they do seem to be the best flat out there. Pricey enough to drive me to try other options.
    However many are in a shit ton.

PSA: Ride Concepts has the Powerline marked-down 30%, and they are red.

The ride concepts don’t fit my feet well. I picked up some new 5.10s I can walk around in too. They don’t have the Uber sticky rubber, but are no slouch and are holding up really well. Sample size
    Me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Bought some Ride Concepts women's (<- don't tell him) Livewire for my 10 y/o son for $30 on REI Outlet. Seem to be pretty good quality and a maybe bit stickier rubber than my daughters 5.10 Freerider Youth w/ Stealth Marathon which is a bit different than normal Freerider stealth I think. We'll see how they hold up, but one ride so far so good.

I think I'm taking a hiatus from flat pedal riding myself, have been doing it on my hardtail, mostly w/ kids and to work on some bike skills. This morning tagged chainring/chain on a big rock on an ill-timed bunny-hop and is likely gonna cost me a new chain, which as we all know is either price gouged or impossible to find. Hopefully I can find the link and swap w/a quicklink instead.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Bought some Ride Concepts women's (<- don't tell him) Livewire for my 10 y/o son for $30 on REI Outlet. Seem to be pretty good quality and a maybe bit stickier rubber than my daughters 5.10 Freerider Youth w/ Stealth Marathon which is a bit different than normal Freerider stealth I think. We'll see how they hold up, but one ride so far so good.

I think I'm taking a hiatus from flat pedal riding myself, have been doing it on my hardtail, mostly w/ kids and to work on some bike skills. This morning tagged chainring/chain on a big rock on an ill-timed bunny-hop and is likely gonna cost me a new chain, which as we all know is either price gouged or impossible to find. Hopefully I can find the link and swap w/a quicklink instead.
    sounds like you need a bash guard and not new shoes

Ha while that’s true, I don’t have a bash guard but do own multiple pair of spd pedals and shoes. So problem solved.

Root cause was flats are really dumb, kinda fun and useful for some skill development, but are definitely dumb. Won’t be my last go w flats, but going fast = clipless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

going fast = clipless.
    I have found this to be true as well. I spent 3ish months on flats at the beginning of the season and I don't think they're dumb they helped me a lot with technique but I'm notably faster on clips especially in high speed chunk. Only thing I prefer about flats is being able to drop a foot quickly on corners. I had a super greasy wet race yesterday and in muddy conditions it can be hard to get clipped back in quick on rough tech trails. That said I also have a hard time sometimes getting my foot back in the right position on flats since they're so grippy

I'm into riding flats at the beginning of the season and then switching over to clips once things get underway and if I'm doing any racing
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Kidding a bit about them being dumb, but dumb can often be fun anyway. Wasn’t my first flat foray and won’t be my last either. I did a few months 100% flats and ride them w my kids often. While everything is absolutely possible of course on flats, they’re just slower through bumpy sections IMO, I found rooty/rocky climbs in particular are considerably more difficult so right there for XC/Trail they’re too slow for race/fast scenarios. Also been riding clipless since mid 90s so have no problems in tech or cornering.

I do think they promote much better connection especially cornering and getting better for hops/height. YMMV

Kidding a bit about them being dumb, but dumb can often be fun anyway. Wasn’t my first flat foray and won’t be my last either. I did a few months 100% flats and ride them w my kids often. While everything is absolutely possible of course on flats, they’re just slower through bumpy sections IMO, I found rooty/rocky climbs in particular are considerably more difficult so right there for XC/Trail they’re too slow for race/fast scenarios. Also been riding clipless since mid 90s so have no problems in tech or cornering.

I do think they promote much better connection especially cornering and getting better for hops/height. YMMV

All true! The highlighted point is probably why I've been exclusively on flats for the past 5-ish years, after 25-ish years on clipless.

Any suggestions for a good flat pedal shoe on the softer side of things? Like, if there’s a shoe that people complain is too soft…that’s probably the shoe for me.
    I tried some Freeriders a few years ago and currently giving Leatt Chase shoes a go, but they feel like Frankenstein boots.
    I rode in some super lightweight Vans a few weeks ago and really like the pedal feel, but my toes feel like they’re in jeopardy…so looking for something in between.
    Thoughts?

I was going to add some cambers to my other new etnies mtb shoe. Probably to stiff.
    Looks like the mirana would fit the bill for you though. Padded tongue, toe cap and mich rubber but not as stiff as the mtb shoes.
    Sign up for 20% off and free shipping(be prepared for a lot of emails if you do)

https://etnies.com/collections/mens/...ck-black-black

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Any suggestions for a good flat pedal shoe on the softer side of things? Like, if there’s a shoe that people complain is too soft…that’s probably the shoe for me.
    I tried some Freeriders a few years ago and currently giving Leatt Chase shoes a go, but they feel like Frankenstein boots.
    I rode in some super lightweight Vans a few weeks ago and really like the pedal feel, but my toes feel like they’re in jeopardy…so looking for something in between.
    Thoughts?

Soft in terms of sole stiffness?

Regular Freeriders or the 5.10 Sleuth would be my top ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Thoughts?

Ride concepts vice mid? I use them as a street shoe but they're actually lacondeguy's shoe and grip a pedal pretty well. I've got the powerline and tnt for trail and park respectively and like them a lot but they're reasonably stiff.

Thanks for the shoe rec everyone. Will be trying the rides recommendations. My 5.10 impacts have lasted me close to 10yrs, but this last shoe goo sole repair is likely the last.

It all goes at once. But a decade on footwear and brain bucket is alright. Really should have thrown a new drivetrain on when I replaced the wife's.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Thanks for the shoe rec everyone. Will be trying the rides recommendations. My 5.10 impacts have lasted me close to 10yrs, but this last shoe goo sole repair is likely the last.

It all goes at once. But a decade on footwear and brain bucket is alright. Really should have thrown a new drivetrain on when I replaced the wife's.
    Stay away from new impacts, they only visually resemble what you've been using for 10 years. Ever since Adidas bought them, qc has been atrocious.

So I said to shop Bro for that kinda money are you gona thro in some peddles ?

He thru in a set of the race Face Chesters, sez he has sold hundreds of them, they don't break, the nylon slides off rocks, they are inexpensive and they come in different colors to match you eyes

red
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know