Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tell me about flat pedals

After years of being clipped in, I've gotten lazy about a lot of things. So I've switched back to flats. I have some old Azonic A-frames I've been using, but I'm curious about these newfangled thin pedals. Is there a significant difference in using pedals that are a few millimeters thinner than mine, or is it just internet hype? And if they are worth getting, recommend me some good ones that are reasonably priced (like less than 80 bucks). Seems retarded that some of these things cost $150 bucks.

I only clip into my road bike.
    I have straitline pedals on my trail and dh bikes. The original version, so not really newfangled thin. I remember A-frames being pretty good, all things considered.
    One thing I like about the straitline is they're big and easy and cheap to rebuild. I happen to have an almost new pair in white for sale from a friend who didn't like them. $90.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah! View Post
    After years of being clipped in, I've gotten lazy about a lot of things. So I've switched back to flats. I have some old Azonic A-frames I've been using, but I'm curious about these newfangled thin pedals. Is there a significant difference in using pedals that are a few millimeters thinner than mine, or is it just internet hype? And if they are worth getting, recommend me some good ones that are reasonably priced (like less than 80 bucks). Seems retarded that some of these things cost $150 bucks.
    You definitely get fewer pedal strikes with a thin pedal. Some people prefer the feel they get from being close to the spindle on the thin pedal. Maybe borrow a pair and see how they feel to you?

Good deal at this time of year? Maybe find a used pair. The nice ones last forever and can be serviced.

Fairies fly flats
    watch out for snakes

The A frames are solid - big base, sharp pins. They feel thick, especially in chunky or steep terrain, but I don't hit them much. It's more like a feeling of teetering, like I'm rocking back and forth on them, and I'm not sure if that's attributed to pedal thickness or just sucking at riding flats (probably the latter though).

Don't know anyone else who rides flats, so I'm on my own here. Guess I'll browse around and see if anything cheap pops up. Thanks!

I have 4 pedals to recommend. My current favorite is the Race face Atlas. These only apply if you decide you are willing to spend a little more. The angled pins are legit, for me this is the best feeling pedal I have ever used, grip, release, you name it. The next three can be had at or below the $80 threshold. I have all of them in the rotation still on different bikes: Race Face Affect, Kona Wah Wah, Shimano Saint. The Saints have been bomber, they are not super thin though. The Affect seem small sometimes but have been smooth and solid. The Wah Wah have been kicking around fore several years, bearings have needed to be replaced as well as one spindle (smoked a rock( but they have a been a solid pedal for me with the middle pins removed.

During this time I also have had Staitline Amps and Spank Spikes. I hated the Amps, I swear I could feel the spindle and thought the drag from not having having bearings was annoying, they took rocks well and looked sick though. The Spikes went through bearings like mad, I was using them in PNW winter though.... so super wet. They have apparently changed up the seals and bearings so maybe that has been improved, they felt a tad wide for my liking as well.
    Last edited by rludes025; 03-23-2015 at 08:03 AM.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Love the Raceface Atlas as well. Also liked the spike spank pedals but the atlas is slightly better in my opinion.

For cheap and tough it is hard to go past the Saints, but they are a little heavy and not super thin.
    For light, thin and cheap the Xpedo Spry are hard to beat.

If you don't want to spend big money on flats I highly recommend the Nukeproof Electron. They're made from a nylon composite so they're lighter and less expensive than a high end metal flat pedal. They can be had for about $40-50. I use them on my DH bike - they're also thin and wide with bombproof construction. I've smashed hard many times and they barely scratch. Combine those with some sticky 5.10 shoes and you'll be happy.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...4/rp-prod85858

Tell me about flat pedals

If you ever hit rocks with your pedals the Xpedo Spry are garbage. The pins strip the magnesium body on contact so you can't replace them, and I had a pedal completely break in half in the middle of a ride. Didn't even last a season.

Diety Compounds (same as the Nukeproofs) are great. Easily serviceable. Cheap replaceable parts. Pins don't strip. Bodies are rock solid. Have smashed the bajeebus out of them so many times. Some place in China makes them as OEMs for Diety and Nukeproof. I've seen them with other branding, too, but can't remember who.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 03-23-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    If you ever hit rocks with your pedals the Xpedo Spry are garbage. The pins strip the magnesium body on contact so you can't replace them, and I had a pedal completely break in half in the middle of a ride.

Diety Compounds (same as the Nukeproofs) are great. Easily serviceable. Cheap replaceable parts. Pins don't strip. Bodies are rock solid. Have smashed the bajeebus out of them so many times. Some place in China makes them as OEMs for Diety and Nukeproof. I've seen them with other branding, too, but can't remember who.
    I have those Diety's on my Dirt Jumper, they work well for that but for trail riding I like having three pins across the back of the pedal. It just feels more balanced. Maybe my feet are too sensitive.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I've run Shimano Saints, and currently have Race Face Atlas. I like the Atlas a lot better. It's about 30% lighter, noticeably thinner, and the angled spikes are legit... my shoes stay planted way better. I think they've got a bit larger surface area both length and width too, which helps give them a more solid foot feel. I also had to take out and clean the bearings of the Saints after a fairly small amount of rides (like a dozen) because I could feel them grinding on some dirt that worked its way in.

I've had a few different older flats - I'll say that some of the ultra thins you lose the concave nature which really affects the feel and makes it easier to slip a foot. I ended up having to put in monster pins on my HT AE-03s to compensate and now they're like a friggin bear trap... but watch out if you lose a pedal. I've only ridden around the e13 LG1+ but they'd be my go to pedal if I were to get some new ones for my DH rig...they might be overkill for an AM bike though.

EDIT the HTs also developed some bushing play after about a season of DH riding, which seems pretty weak since I don't actually pedal that much.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

I've been riding some azonic wicked pedals on my trail bike. They're thin light and don't have a huDge platform that sticks out from under the outside of my foot that hits rocks.......... which is all I really care about.

Thin pedals are cool. You get more rock clearance AND a slightly lower center of gravity akin to lowering your BB height. I just wish I could clip into them.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Doesn't seem to make much sense to get Saints - I already have thick, heavy pedals.
    VTsession - Those Nukeproofs caught my eye but I wondered about the material. Sounds like the ones to try given the price.

Performance Bike has good platform pedal.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...400936__catNav
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I have Kona Wah Wah's and while they aren't the thinnest, they can definitely take a beating. Think I found them for like $90.

Lotsa talk about pedals but most flats suck depending on the shoe you are wearing. Personally, I like Impacts. I've been through a couple pair of them (they last forever though) and I still like them the best. I've tried different skate shoes, 5.10 Freeriders, some Vans and still go back to my old 5.10 Impacts. If you don't have good shoes, spend the money there first. If you have good shoes, carry on with the pedal chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Lotsa talk about pedals but most flats suck depending on the shoe you are wearing. Personally, I like Impacts. I've been through a couple pair of them (they last forever though) and I still like them the best. I've tried different skate shoes, 5.10 Freeriders, some Vans and still go back to my old 5.10 Impacts. If you don't have good shoes, spend the money there first. If you have good shoes, carry on with the pedal chat.
    True dat

Formerly Rludes025

+ 1 on FiveTen impacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah! View Post
    Doesn't seem to make much sense to get Saints - I already have thick, heavy pedals.
    VTsession - Those Nukeproofs caught my eye but I wondered about the material. Sounds like the ones to try given the price.
    I was skeptical too, but once you have the pedal in your hand you see that the material is very strong. I've heard the resin pedals are more popular in the BMX world.

I've been very happy with Deity Skyscrapers.

Flat pedals have helped me push my bike way harder toward its limit. I'll attempt way dumber stuff riding with flats knowing I can jump over the bike if I explode a berm too hard or do some wrong steering into a rock garden.

It has saved my ass a bunch from the dreaded bike scorpion.

Quote Originally Posted by juanbendedknee View Post
    Flat pedals have helped me push my bike way harder
    True, it's easier to jump off right before a steep uphill and start walking with a bit of momentum. The lighter the pedals, the easier it is to push btw.

on the teetering topic, yes thinner does noticeably effect the tippy rocking sensation of thicker pedals, also length front/back has a pretty big impact if you are as prone to rolling pedals as i am, grew up clipless and not a newschool ass off the rear wheel rider, ie i dont weight my feet enough...

im coming off saints which are kinda short front/back and not the thinnest, really like my buddies spikes but atlas are even longer and i trust the brand more as a multiple bike build quality component
    fyi spikes are 80 at universal on sale as long as grey is your color of choice, heard rumor an updated model is due soon
    the plastic deity and nukeproofs have an endcap thats prone to popping off, once it does they explode shortly after, i beat the piss out of endcaps by throwing my bike a lot, poor form on my part, but it is what it is, they dont hold up for me...

im saving my pennies for atlas, price tag is tough to stomach as a dirtbag but i take pride in replacing bearings rather than parts, so am willing to step up if its actually worth the cost

also, i think i have more pin scars from pushing my FR bike uphill than slipping pedals riding down... hike a bike is brutal on calves!