Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I don't always ride flat pedals but when I do they are DMR Vaults. I have tried a lot of flat pedals over the last 10 years, many expensive ones and many modestly priced ones. The DMR Vaults are by far the best pair I have owned. The size and shape are perfect, anything thinner has to use shitty bearings or sacrifice the shape because of the bearing. The pins are great and the pedals are very durable. They also come in a ton of colors... including red.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I would say I'm seeing more people who are riding clipless pedals than in the past
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I would say I'm seeing more people who are riding clipless pedals than in the past
    In my experience in CO it is the opposite

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6856.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	292600

I made these bad boys about 15 years ago. The axles were made out of shit steel and bent but the skateboard wheel bearings held up strong.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I don't always ride flat pedals but when I do they are DMR Vaults. I have tried a lot of flat pedals over the last 10 years, many expensive ones and many modestly priced ones. The DMR Vaults are by far the best pair I have owned. The size and shape are perfect, anything thinner has to use shitty bearings or sacrifice the shape because of the bearing. The pins are great and the pedals are very durable. They also come in a ton of colors... including red.
    Sweet! I got them in orange.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Well duh. Everybody knows that. I mean, meter-man's not a complete idiot is he?
    lol, guess so - the truth hurts!

cyd, thanks for the cramp comment on the Crampons. I've got crampy feet, and the thought of something pushing UP into my arch all day sounds bad. That's part of what me moved to flats in the first place - way less cramps, loss of circulation, etc. The PI Catalysts are incredibly comfortable for all-day riding but just feel too big when jumping and in tech terrain. Stoked for the Vaults, but mostly stoked to ride the new whip!
    Last edited by meter-man; 08-30-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    I have both Deity Black Cat and Spank Spikes. I prefer the Deity’s. They have enough grip but not too much. I find the Spanks tricky to reposition on the fly due to the long pins. The squarer profile of the Deity’s is more supportive also.
    I really like my Spank Spikes precisely because they have boatloads of grip.

That said I finally switched to clipless because I was tired of getting bucked off the pedals when going #fullenduro through chunder. They're better in some ways, worse in others.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    In my experience in CO it is the opposite
    Young people who would have worn skate shoes 15 yars ago with the laces undone have learned to tie their shoes and and are going clipless (altho not xc type shoes) in web picts I see a lot more clipless pedals on bikes in competition

I like clipless cuz my feet don't fall off the pedals

which ever style you like is is what you should use
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Wife rides these. They rock
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Long story short -. Ridden clipless for a long, long time. I'm 60, saw all these successful riders on flats so figured I'd try them. Love them! I've bought several pairs of cheapies. Plastic with screws for the studs. You can find them for 20 to 50 bucks. Same exact pedal. Only the names differ.
    Are the hundred dollar ones really better? How??

I have had Hope's, one ups and vaults on my hardtail.

The one ups are good and sticky. Only tried the composites but I almost bought the other ones and my buddy hated the bump from the bearing so much that I was afraid to commit.

The Hope's look pimpy but they arent nearly as sticky as the one up or vaults. They were sticky enough and I probably would have stuck with them if they were mine but they werent. They were also really easy to adjust your foot if it wasnt just right where stickier pedals are trickier.

I now run the vaults. I probably like them a little better than the one ups but honestly I think any of the well rated pedals are fine...

Also.. I ride pretty technical terrain on a hardtail.. I almost never lose a pedal.

I had first generation wah wahs on my process and they were fine, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantmy2dollars View Post
    Are the hundred dollar ones really better? How??
    Probably not if you aren’t doing jumps and tech.

However many are in a shit ton.

Real Story: “Bryn quietly waits for his old friend Sam Hill to ride off before sending one more irrelevant post. Connor Fearon and Brendog roll up minutes later and ask him if he wants to join them for a lap”

However many are in a shit ton.

Fearon just had a post about how id your trying to race DH as a kid you should run clipless..... and that flats are a disadvantage on many course.

I got a used bike and it came with a plastic pedals. I’m thinking of replacing with a metal one. Question is, do I get one for $10 from eBay? I can’t imagine they are that much different than the ones that cost about $100....

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Probably not if you aren’t doing jumps and tech.

Not much in the way of air but it's technical riding around here. I might be slower than the younger guys on the down but I still ride rock gardens, skinnys and the rooty rocky stuff we have here in the east. A while ago being clipped in gave me confidence. Now, not being clipped in feels better - especially since I almost never slip off with these plastic ones. I'm running a pearl Iz shoe with the cleat cut out still in place

I've liked the Chesters a lot over the last few years. Still ride clipless for most XC riding, but love the flats for Moab, and most DH. The flats are the shit for commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    I've liked the Chesters a lot over the last few years. Still ride clipless for most XC riding, but love the flats for Moab, and most DH. The flats are the shit for commuting.
    Thats the pedal I've got on all my bikes now. If you dont mind them labeled Fooker (I kid u not) they are exactly the same for about 20 bucks

I have Twenty6Products PreRunners and Predators.

They are awesome. They were expensive. They don't make them anymore.

They have the most aggressive needle pins ever. They are razor sharp. You can cut yourself just brushing against them. Dangerous. But they stick like glue!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Bumping this thread since I want to switch over to flats for a little while because I need to correct my form in the air and float the bike better. Everyone says switch to flats and your bad habits will be exposed and I'm ready to expose some bad habits. I don't think it'll be a long term thing so wondering if people have recs for a cheaper flat pedal that will grip well and hold up decently without spending much money (or ideally if anyone's got a used set). I was planning to just pull the cleats off my giro chamber shoes and use those but I also have skate shoes I can use if it makes any difference

Seeing endorsements in the past few posts for Chesters or the knockoff Fookers (lol). Any reason not to just go real cheap and get these? I like to ride fast in tech and hit small jumps but again this whole thing will be more of an experiment than a lifestyle change
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Bumping this thread since I want to switch over to flats for a little while because I need to correct my form in the air and float the bike better. Everyone says switch to flats and your bad habits will be exposed and I'm ready to expose some bad habits. I don't think it'll be a long term thing so wondering if people have recs for a cheaper flat pedal that will grip well and hold up decently without spending much money (or ideally if anyone's got a used set). I was planning to just pull the cleats off my giro chamber shoes and use those but I also have skate shoes I can use if it makes any difference

Seeing endorsements in the past few posts for Chesters or the knockoff Fookers (lol). Any reason not to just go real cheap and get these? I like to ride fast in tech and hit small jumps but again this whole thing will be more of an experiment than a lifestyle change
    Chesters are great. I bought three sets off my local shops rental fleet that were like new. Lots of rental fleets use em so look for that.

Get some 5.10 free rides and go ride. It is pretty fun and liberating.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post

Get any $40-$50 plastic pedal from a reputable brand. I like the OneUps.

Try your giro shoes - The cleat block might be annoying though. But I’d look for a mtb specific flat pedal shoe on sale somewhere. A skate shoe would likely have too soft of a foot bed, to slippery of a sole, soak up the wet, etc...

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Chesters/Fookers are fine but I like the OneUp Composites better - larger platform and better grip.
    https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/comp-pedal

IMO the Deity Deftrap are the current best $50 plastic platform pedal. They’re huge, slightly concave, and seem to hold up really well.