Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I imagine the WC DH field finds this discussion amusing.
    Definitely flats on those courses for me, i'd be putting my feet down or there's a good chance just walking some parts, ha. They are mostly clipped in I'm guessing?

Now that Sam Hill has jumped ship to the EWS, World Cup DHers are, ALL clipped in. Every. Single. One.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

A guys opinion who sucks at climbing and hates it is worthless.
    So an opinion from guy who rides bikes professionally and rides both clipless and flats is a worthless opinion? Wow. Not everything in MTB revolves around climbing, kinda like how not everything in MTB revolves around descending....

But, in the lense of your climbing-only viewpoint, i would also offer that on many alpine rides there are extended periods of hike-a-bike in which flats sure are nice, not to mention safer. And also for days that consist of trailwork and riding most folks would prefer flats.

Wonder why Lock-on grips vs Slide on grips discussions don't cause more controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    So an opinion from guy who rides bikes professionally and rides both clipless and flats is a worthless opinion? Wow.
    You are leaving out some choice facts all of a sudden, he's a BMXer who hates to climb. Who cares if he's pro. maybe it would be different if I actually knew him, sure.

But, in the lense of your climbing-only viewpoint, i would also offer that on many alpine rides there are extended periods of hike-a-bike in which flats sure are nice, not to mention safer. And also for days that consist of trailwork and riding most folks would prefer flats.
    True. Any time you are not on your bike, clipless are not preferred. Kinda goes without saying.

You can get shoes that can take an SPD cleat but are still walkable you know... Even 5.10s.

You are leaving out some choice facts all of a sudden, he's a BMXer who hates to climb. Who cares if he's pro.
    I guess you missed the part where i said "when he rides MTB". I figured people would find it an interesting data point that someone with great bike handling skills who rides clipless professionally, would choose flats when riding MTB recreationally on his own time. I guess you are just looking for a very specific set of opinions though.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    You can get shoes that can take an SPD cleat but are still walkable you know... Even 5.10s.

totally. But you do deal with excess wear and tear on your cleat, dirt and mud stuffing it up, not as comfy walking, etc. I also wouldnt want to be 10 miles out on a ridge hike-a-biking on granite boulders/scree and have a cleat get fucked up. None of these are deal killer issues by any means though.

I figured people would find it an interesting data point that someone with great bike handling skills who rides clipless professionally, would choose flats when riding MTB recreationally on his own time.
    It is an interesting data point. Another interesting data point is that the entire WC DH field to a man rides clipless. So, what's your point?

totally. But you do deal with excess wear and tear on your cleat, dirt and mud stuffing it up, not as comfy walking, etc. I also wouldnt want to be 10 miles out on a ridge hike-a-biking on granite boulders/scree and have a cleat get fucked up. None of these are deal killer issues by any means though.
    If you're on pure rock I'll give the nod to Freeriders. For most hike-a-bike I encounter though I'd rather have my X-Alp Enduro V5s.

It is an interesting data point. Another interesting data point is that the entire WC DH field to a man rides clipless. So, what's your point?
    My point is relevant to your point above- a pro who rides clipless when racing, may ride flats when not racing due to convenience, preferred feel or style when not racing against the clock, or other advantages. Point is, most of us arent trying to squeeze every second out of each climb/descent, and we more closely resemble a pro on his downtime than a pro in the start house.

I'm bummed my 5.10s suck walking up anything but dry conditions. And they aren't nearly as ventilated as my clipless shoes when it's 100 degrees out here. If anyone knows a good all-around shoe that's like the 5.10, post it here. Something not uber-stiff but not uber-soft when flexing, has something besides slightly raised dots called 'traction' for hiking, and is more ventilated than a pair of thick vans would be awesome.

has something besides slightly raised dots called 'traction' for hiking
    That's kind of an inherent intractable problem for flat pedal shoes. Much of the benefit of sticky rubber gets negated when you put a hiking shoe tread pattern on it. Some pins might not be making contact at all, and the pins can get caught on the edges and crevices which makes it harder to make small adjustments to foot position. The ideal tread pattern for a flat pedal shoe is none at all, like racing slicks in motor racing.

I'm bummed my 5.10s suck walking up anything but dry conditions. And they aren't nearly as ventilated as my clipless shoes when it's 100 degrees out here. If anyone knows a good all-around shoe that's like the 5.10, post it here. Something not uber-stiff but not uber-soft when flexing, has something besides slightly raised dots called 'traction' for hiking, and is more ventilated than a pair of thick vans would be awesome.
    I'm looking for the exact thing. Currently I've been wearing a pair of Scarpa Crux approach shoes but I'm exploring my options for when they die.

Tell me about flat pedals

If anyone knows a good all-around shoe that's like the 5.10, post it here. Something not uber-stiff but not uber-soft when flexing, has something besides slightly raised dots called 'traction' for hiking, and is more ventilated than a pair of thick vans would be awesome.
    I only have one ride on them, but so far so good. Look into Adidas Trailcross Terrex series. They make a low top and a mid - the mid includes D3O ankle protection.

Adidas owns 5.10 so it’s stealth rubber. Tread pattern means not quite as good grip as a Freerider but it’s still really good, and they have deep traction grooves in the toe and heel of the sole for hike a bike.

I was pretty happy on a hot day with the ventilation, pretty happy with the traction on the jumps and climbing ability going up a rock garden, and very happy with the looks of something not a skate shoe.

Last edited by SchralphMacchio; 06-28-2018 at 06:35 PM.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I got xc style MTB shoe with actulal groovy soles and big fucking spikes in the toe ... I can walk up or down anything
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm bummed my 5.10s suck walking up anything but dry conditions. And they aren't nearly as ventilated as my clipless shoes when it's 100 degrees out here.
    Which model?

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I only have one ride on them, but so far so good. Look into Adidas Trailcross Terrex series. They make a low top and a mid - the mid includes D3O ankle protection.

Adidas owns 5.10 so it’s stealth rubber. Tread pattern means not quite as good grip as a Freerider but it’s still really good, and they have deep traction grooves in the toe and heel of the sole for hike a bike.

I was pretty happy on a hot day with the ventilation, pretty happy with the traction on the jumps and climbing ability going up a rock garden, and very happy with the looks of something not a skate shoe.

I have a pair of the ones in the top pic in a size8 that I’ve been holding on to and am not using. 4 or 5 rides on them. Quite good on flats and the use would be best as you described. Can’t remember how much they were but I’d sell them cheap

Just got a pair of 510 Freeriders in the mail with my Chester flats. Excited to give them a spin this weekend. Hopefully this will up my game and I'll finally ride up to the rad bro's standards at my LBS. He told me last weekend: "brah, I send this thing off 30 foot table tops no problem".

That's kind of an inherent intractable problem for flat pedal shoes. Much of the benefit of sticky rubber gets negated when you put a hiking shoe tread pattern on it. Some pins might not be making contact at all, and the pins can get caught on the edges and crevices which makes it harder to make small adjustments to foot position. The ideal tread pattern for a flat pedal shoe is none at all, like racing slicks in motor racing.
    true, true, damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got xc style MTB shoe with actulal groovy soles and big fucking spikes in the toe ... I can walk up or down anything
    Yeah I got a pair of those and that's what I primarily use.

true, true, damn it.
    The 5.10 Freeride Contact is smooth where it is in "contact" with the pedal.
    That said, I actually prefer their soles that have the circle pattern in the pedal area, I feel that I get a better grip.
    The difference (to me/YMMV) is that it's easier to adjust foot position with the smooth sole.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    The 5.10 Freeride Contact is smooth where it is in "contact" with the pedal.
    That said, I actually prefer their soles that have the circle pattern in the pedal area, I feel that I get a better grip.
    The difference (to me/YMMV) is that it's easier to adjust foot position with the smooth sole.
    Last pair of shoes were the Contacts, and just got the Freeride Pros at the start of spring. I much prefer the dotted pattern. no noticeable downgrade of grip on the pedals, but i can adjust and twist my foot a little bit easier. plus makes for easier walking on steep slick trails. Also the Pros are stiffer and have a little bit better toebox protection, and are pretty light. Very, Very happy with the new shoes.

no noticeable downgrade of grip on the pedals
    Sort of what I was suggesting, the "dotted" soles grip better IMO because of the little crevasses in the sole pattern.
    The pins on my pedals have no problem engaging these parts. Also, that sole pattern has held up better for me than the smooth on the Contact.

BTW - the point that all of the pro downhillers go clipless is kind of funny. Does that mean I should get a custom 130 compression golf ball because that's what Dustin Johnson hits? lol...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    BTW - the point that all of the pro downhillers go clipless is kind of funny. Does that mean I should get a custom 130 compression golf ball because that's what Dustin Johnson hits? lol...
    You take that golf shit and:

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Run your suspension as hard as Gwin, have brakes with ZERO modulation like Bruni, and CNC your own linkages for custom leverage rates like Minnaar. Race day is everyday for a weekend warrior, so we all should set up our bikes the same as the top pros.

Steep & Cheap has a shit-ton of bike shoes on sale right now. I picked up some Sidi Dominators, those fuckers never go on sale.