Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    So I said to shop Bro for that kinda money are you gona thro in some peddles ?

He thru in a set of the race Face Chesters, sez he has sold hundreds of them, they don't break, the nylon slides off rocks, they are inexpensive and they come in different colors to match you eyes

red
    I have some, they are OK, not the grippiest things in the world, but cheap enough.. This will blow your mind through, go look for fooker pedals on amazon....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I have some, they are OK, not the grippiest things in the world, but cheap enough.. This will blow your mind through, go look for fooker pedals on amazon....
    WTF! That's hilarious

I find they got lotsa grip using them with some 661's

they are 65 canuck bucks

there are lots of rebadged parts out there

fookers eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’ve been running the deity deftrap plastic pedals since the spring. I converted to plastic several years ago and never looked back. I’ve not broken a pedal ever so metal seems overkill for me. These are the largest and most grippy pedal I have had - I love them. I thought the symmetrical shape might feel weird but instead I just feel so planted and comfortable on them going up or downhill.

Also my one hack for worn out five ten soles is to fill the gaps in the tread with Shoe Goo. It really freshens them up. It’s annoying to have to do it but it seems to work. My 10 year old pre-adidas Freeriders are barely worn on the sole so the rubber durability has definitely gone down as others reported…

Any thoughts on the Canfield Crampon Ultimate?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Also my one hack for worn out five ten soles is to fill the gaps in the tread with Shoe Goo. It really freshens them up. It’s annoying to have to do it but it seems to work. My 10 year old pre-adidas Freeriders are barely worn on the sole so the rubber durability has definitely gone down as others reported…
    The main issue I've been having with the post Adidas 5.10s are the soles completely peeling off the shoe. The sole would always peel off around the toe, heel and side but you could easily shoe goo those spots back on repeatedly. On the pre Adidas shoes the shoe stayed very solid, you wouldn't have any further issue. On the post Adidas one you'd have the toe/heel shoe gooed on and then the material holding the sole on would deteriorate on the inside. Next time the toe, heel or side peeled off the rest would come with it.

I finally stopped buying 5.10s and have been using La sportiva trail running shoes. Not as grippy but you get used to it. They last longer, more comfortable to wear, breathe better, and way more comfortable for hike a bike. Just don't smack a barrel or cholla cactus with your toe : )

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Any thoughts on the Canfield Crampon Ultimate?
    I had the original Crampon and a pair of Ultimates. Liked them for sure, the original Crampons were the first really low profile pedals. The Ultimates not quite as thin but way better design. The bearings will wear out faster than you think they should. They have kits you can order to replace. I have the kit, but have never gotten around to installing it. Whenever I do the pedals should go back on one of my bikes.

20% off pedals at PlanetCyclery

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    The main issue I've been having with the post Adidas 5.10s are the soles completely peeling off the shoe. The sole would always peel off around the toe, heel and side but you could easily shoe goo those spots back on repeatedly. On the pre Adidas shoes the shoe stayed very solid, you wouldn't have any further issue. On the post Adidas one you'd have the toe/heel shoe gooed on and then the material holding the sole on would deteriorate on the inside. Next time the toe, heel or side peeled off the rest would come with it.

I finally stopped buying 5.10s and have been using La sportiva trail running shoes. Not as grippy but you get used to it. They last longer, more comfortable to wear, breathe better, and way more comfortable for hike a bike. Just don't smack a barrel or cholla cactus with your toe : )

I had the original Crampon and a pair of Ultimates. Liked them for sure, the original Crampons were the first really low profile pedals. The Ultimates not quite as thin but way better design. The bearings will wear out faster than you think they should. They have kits you can order to replace. I have the kit, but have never gotten around to installing it. Whenever I do the pedals should go back on one of my bikes.
    The crampons and ultimates were definitely good. Issue I had was the pin threads would get damaged easily. Getting back into riding now.. ordered boomslang for my wife and nsb daemon for me. Larger platforms and better mud shedding.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skinipenem; 04-24-2022 at 01:40 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I bought crampons because they were thin, light, and pretty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crampon_review-5.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	401.7 KB 
ID:	414187

I hated the Crampons as they were conVex in shape and the pins were to fat and not sticky.

I would ride almost any other pedal besides a Crampon.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I have owned and extensively used a lot of different pedals (RF Atlas & Chester, OneUp plastic & alloy, Burgtec Mk5, NSB Daemon) and hands down the best grip are Tenet Occult. They have exceptional concavity, and a big enough platform that your feet just sink into them. They're relatively light too. They come both pins and grubs, and with 1 free pedal refresh too (just fill out request online, they send you a prepaid label, you bag them up and mail them in, and you get freshened up ones in about a week).

I had been running NSB Daemons for ~9 months, which are really fancy made-in-Canada pedals, and went back to the Occult after the Daemons started creaking. The grip is flat out better. I had notice that my heels were rubbing and peeling off my chainstay protectors with the Daemons (heels were twisting inward while descending from trying to push the rear end around), and that's totally stopped with the Occults. When I get to the bottom of a run, my feet are still exactly where I placed them at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I have owned and extensively used a lot of different pedals (RF Atlas & Chester, OneUp plastic & alloy, Burgtec Mk5, NSB Daemon) and hands down the best grip are Tenet Occult. They have exceptional concavity, and a big enough platform that your feet just sink into them. They're relatively light too. They come both pins and grubs, and with 1 free pedal refresh too (just fill out request online, they send you a prepaid label, you bag them up and mail them in, and you get freshened up ones in about a week).

I had been running NSB Daemons for ~9 months, which are really fancy made-in-Canada pedals, and went back to the Occult after the Daemons started creaking. The grip is flat out better. I had notice that my heels were rubbing and peeling off my chainstay protectors with the Daemons (heels were twisting inward while descending from trying to push the rear end around), and that's totally stopped with the Occults. When I get to the bottom of a run, my feet are still exactly where I placed them at the start.
    That makes sense. I ordered the nsb daemons purposely for a little less grip... hoping for ease of repositioning.

Have you tried the chromag daggas? Those things look ridiculously grippy.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    That makes sense. I ordered the nsb daemons purposely for a little less grip... hoping for ease of repositioning.

Have you tried the chromag daggas? Those things look ridiculously grippy.

Nope, but I considered it. What worries me about them is just how crazy tall the pins are... they've got to just destroy shoes. I'd worry about them creating pressure points even through thick soles like my Impact Pros. And they're pretty heavy too.

Nope, but I considered it. What worries me about them is just how crazy tall the pins are... they've got to just destroy shoes. I'd worry about them creating pressure points even through thick soles like my Impact Pros. And they're pretty heavy too.
    I think the dagga pins have two height settings fwiw.

I didn't want anything that grippy. The pedals on my dh bike (maybe older deity or ones; I can't remember) are so grippy with five tens that adjustment requires a full foot lift.

Race Face Atlas... I think I want...

I bought a few sets of Chesters from the local shop demo fleet a few years back. $5 a pair. Some even matched some of my bike's colors. Been fine with those but my standards are quite low.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Race Face Atlas... I think I want...
    I ran a pair for a bit, they required a rebuild in short order but seemed to take the hits. Ultimately the inner bearing would interfere with my shoe sometimes and I needed to rebuild them too much. I sold them with a bike and bounced through some that aren't worth mentioning until I finally got some DMR Vaults. Nice concavity and durable. I think I serviced them once about 3 years ago after 2 years of use and they are still going strong.

Edit: It looks like Race Face updated the inner bearing interface so maybe they last longer now...
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Good beta... it's hard not to just buy Vaults since they rule.

Just don't buy the fancy magnesium spindle Vaults. I know 2 guys who got them (weight weenies) and those things need a rebuild every 3 months.

Just don't buy the fancy magnesium spindle Vaults. I know 2 guys who got them (weight weenies) and those things need a rebuild every 3 months.
    Darn I was eyeballing the Mg Lite vaults. Do you know if their issue was with the Mg vaults (CrMoly spinde?) or the Mg Lite (TI spindle?)

I just can't fathom riding 430g+ pedals when I've been riding these Ti spindled 330gish Twenty6 designs I've had for over a decade.

The Atlas seemed like a good way around that.

I'd just keep riding my Twenty6 Designs... they've lasted forever with maybe two rebuilds except for all the impacts have made some of the pin mounts not usable...

Darn I was eyeballing the Mg Lite vaults. Do you know if their issue was with the Mg vaults (CrMoly spinde?) or the Mg Lite (TI spindle?)
    I believe the Lite ones... like I said, they're both irrational weight weenies. The one guy has moved onto other pedals and the other one just ponies up for rebuild kits constantly rather than ride pedals that are 50g heavier.

I believe the Lite ones... like I said, they're both irrational weight weenies. The one guy has moved onto other pedals and the other one just ponies up for rebuild kits constantly rather than ride pedals that are 50g heavier.
    50g I wouldn't sweat. 100+g is significant when you repeat the exercise over 3-4 components you are at 1lb.

The Mg is the body of the pedal (instead of Al), a minor weight savings.

The Mg Superlite has a Titanium spindle instead of CrMo steel, a large weight savings.

None of those should be responsible for frequent rebuilds... but if I read the website right, the MgSuperlite has DU bushings and no sealed cartridge bearings? That would be the problem...

50g I wouldn't sweat. 100+g is significant when you repeat the exercise over 3-4 components you are at 1lb.

The Mg is the body of the pedal (instead of Al), a minor weight savings.

The Mg Superlite has a Titanium spindle instead of CrMo steel, a large weight savings.

None of those should be responsible for frequent rebuilds... but if I read the website right, the MgSuperlite has DU bushings and no sealed cartridge bearings? That would be the problem...
    Yup. The Ti spindle just gobbles up the bushings.

This is a product review for PNW Composite pedals that just came out and I got a pair to replace my Canfield pedals that I have had for four years. I was on my second rebuild and do for another, so it was time for new pedals. I decided to try the PNW's as I have bought some of their other gear and I like it and I like the company too.

Anyway, I have four rides on these pedals and so far like them way better than my Canfields. They are a bit bigger and just grip my shoes better and they grip better when I move my foot around. One thing that is different with these is that the pedal is wider on the inside half and the outside half tapers to the middle so less pedal exposed for strikes. I like these pedals so far and if they hold up and then maybe go into the "game changer" category. I guess if there is a con, it might be that it is thicker than I would like.......

Name:  pnw pedals (2).jpg
Views: 188
Size:  64.0 KB

They have actual pins and are less convex (but still convex) so I'm not surprised you like them more than the Canfields.