Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Results 201 to 221 of 221
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Ok for those of you like me who didn't want to buy flat pedal specific shoes as you tried out flats - just shut up and do it. I started to get the hang of flats with my chambers sans cleats but yesterday tried a pair of 510 freeriders and had my mind blown. The grip literally felt like I was in clips again if not better. The chambers had decent grip on the pins but nothing compared to 510s, and mainly the softer sole on the 510s allowed me to feel the pedal way more and grab the pedals with my feet. Main advantage areas were bunny hopping and jumping since I felt like I could pop the bike and hold it in the air, even adjust direction in the air. My feet also got knocked out of position less especially when climbing techy sections. Honestly from my experience flats with good shoes and pedals don't feel that different from clips. Still not sure which one I like better but the fact that I'm already asking that after only 2 weeks on flats tells me something
    Yeah, I bought some 5/10s and I cannot believe the grip. I was practicing manuals and went over backward. The damn shoes didn't release! If I had been clipped in I would have released. Honestly, it freaked me out. That millisecond of realizing my foot is still stuck to the peddle at a 90 degree angle was not fun. I changed out the pedal studs (is that what they're called?) to a shorter version.

    Rode our tech area with the dogs to see how I'd fair and was thoroughly impressed with the grip.

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NorCal coast
    Posts
    952
    Yeah... that's what we've been trying to tell people dipping their toe in the flat pedal water. The pedal is only half the system... good flat pedals with shitty hard rubber shoes will feel like garbage.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    9,206
    Not flat pedal specific, but Iíve been using Boreal Bambas for a few years on flats and theyíre really great. Sticky rubber, leather upper with toe bumper. Great protection and grip.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Yeah... that's what we've been trying to tell people dipping their toe in the flat pedal water. The pedal is only half the system... good flat pedals with shitty hard rubber shoes will feel like garbage.
    Totally. You guys said it all along I just needed to experience it for myself. But I do think the time I spent getting used to flats with really stiff soled shoes helped rip the bandaid off since it forced good gripping technique
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    12,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Yeah... that's what we've been trying to tell people dipping their toe in the flat pedal water. The pedal is only half the system... good flat pedals with shitty hard rubber shoes will feel like garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Not flat pedal specific, but Iíve been using Boreal Bambas for a few years on flats and theyíre really great. Sticky rubber, leather upper with toe bumper. Great protection and grip.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums


    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    12,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Totally. You guys said it all along I just needed to experience it for myself. But I do think the time I spent getting used to flats with really stiff soled shoes helped rip the bandaid off since it forced good gripping technique
    5tens are great. Impacts only for me. Freeriders are too flexy and the others dont have the pedal coverage of the impacts. Still, 5tens are adidas and their quality/durability has slipped a bit. Good news is this year specialed and ride concepts rubber is on par with 5ten stealth rubber. Ive been on flats for quite a few years now so i can usually adapt to harder or grippier rubber, to a point, but i still need something with a good design and relatively sticky. My 2 year old ride concepts have been awesome. Most comfortable flat shoe ive had and great styling. The d30 insoles are super cush and i'd imagine some safety benefit. Im holding off on a new pair atm but theyre near the top of the list. I think the new ride concepts with the new rubber will be the complete package. Not sure if the sale is still on but buy a pair and get a pair of their sandals for free(nice sandals). Ill see if i can find the ad

    https://rideconcepts.com/?utm_source...aXZlLmNhIn0%3D

    Id buy another livewire but i wouldnt mind some powerline's. 50% more $'s though seems a bit steep on the jump for an inside ankle guard. No problem with the livewire thus far. Ive worn them a lot, everywhere, all day

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    5tens are great. Impacts only for me. Freeriders are too flexy and the others dont have the pedal coverage of the impacts. Still, 5tens are adidas and their quality/durability has slipped a bit.
    Yeah the freeriders don't seem like particularly high quality shoes and the soles are a lot softer than I expected, but I got a pair used twice for like $30 so no complaints here. The shoe-pedal connection feels like velcro. If I stick with flats I may consider the specialized ones or RC
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    12,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Yeah the freeriders don't seem like particularly high quality shoes and the soles are a lot softer than I expected, but I got a pair used twice for like $30 so no complaints here. The shoe-pedal connection feels like velcro. If I stick with flats I may consider the specialized ones or RC
    Friends did that. They stick but they also realized the error in short order. They went through them relatively quick and got something else. They didnt pay $30 though. They work pretty good, my friends just had impacts previously so they had something to compare them too.I hear the dirt jumpers like the freeriders

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    13,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    The shoe-pedal connection feels like velcro.
    Remember that velcro ski binding joke video? That's a borderline reasonable idea for bike pedals/shoes.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    11,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Remember that velcro ski binding joke video? That's a borderline reasonable idea for bike pedals/shoes.
    Kind of like the *gasp* magnets
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,705
    Local guy uses those magnet 'clipless' pedals + five ten hellcat style clip/flat shoes for lots of riding. Far from a ripper, but see him at MTB and CX races on those, seem to work fine.

    As a part time flat pedal rider, I've found the Freeriders to be perfectly fine, especially if you can find them on sale. Got mine on sale for a hideous red color a few years ago and they're holding up fine for use 1x week mostly w/ my kids (rest of my rides are clipped in).

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    12,717
    The problem with freeriders is theyre fine until theyre not. Pedaling through technical sections, on most trails, theres always that possibility you will catch your toe or the front of your foot. The freeriders will fold in half like your foot. Clipless shoes with a solid platform and a toe cap give a lot of protection against that. A good flat pedal mtb shoe will fold a bit to be comfortable to walk in but wont revererse fold and risk breaking a foot or toe. Pedaling on flats you do catch more trail obstacles because your always pushing on the pedal to stay attached and will resist pulling , even in those tech situations. Thats the main reason i want a new pair of RC livewires. The sole has lost some of that reverse stiffness that stops them from folding. Not quite freeride reverse flex level but approaching that. Its been on my mind.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    5,424
    I canít stand that Five Ten isnít consistent with fit/size from year to year and between models. Super annoying to order a shoe in the size youíve been riding for years, only to have it too narrow or too short.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    12,717
    5tens are a little too wide in the forefoot for me.
    My older vans flat pedal shoe has been good. Nit the stickiest but not bad. Not the stiffest but stiff and have remained the same. Theyve held up really well except the sole and rand started delaming. I fust pored some crazy glue in the delam and all good. Also owned by adidas so thars probably the delam issue. I bet Cab will make a half cab mtb shoe soon. He still makes phat $ off of his shoes. Vans/adidas so they could have syealth rubberClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210505_130946.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	373580

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187
    What's out there for flat pedal shoes that hike reasonably? My 5.10s are fine to walk around in, but pushing a bike up a steep muddy hill is desperate. Something with the stick dot pattern in the middle but a lugged pattern front and rear would seem ideal.

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NorCal coast
    Posts
    952
    Five Ten Trailcross

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    23,842
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    5tens are a little too wide in the forefoot for me.
    My older vans flat pedal shoe has been good. Nit the stickiest but not bad. Not the stiffest but stiff and have remained the same. Theyve held up really well except the sole and rand started delaming. I fust pored some crazy glue in the delam and all good. Also owned by adidas so thars probably the delam issue. I bet Cab will make a half cab mtb shoe soon. He still makes phat $ off of his shoes. Vans/adidas so they could have syealth rubberClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210505_130946.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	373580

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Shoo goo or aquaseal is yer friend
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    4,482

    Tell me about flat pedals

    510 Freerider Pro is a significantly better shoe than the standard Freerider IMHO. Less liner/foam to absorb water. Harder material / water resistant outer / toecap...

    Swapping out the laces for elastic lock laces is a clutch upgrade.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    12,717
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Shoo goo or aquaseal is yer friend
    Haaa after i posted that i immediately thought "what would xxxer use, or Thom.
    3 mini tubes of crazy glue for $1 from the store by the same name for a quick fix. Left shoe has a tiny seperation again so shoo goo or aqua seal may happen yet, if my $1 three packs of the crazy glue stockpile is dried up that is

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    23,842
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Haaa after i posted that i immediately thought "what would xxxer use, or Thom.
    3 mini tubes of crazy glue for $1 from the store by the same name for a quick fix. Left shoe has a tiny seperation again so shoo goo or aqua seal may happen yet, if my $1 three packs of the crazy glue stockpile is dried up that is

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    if you need to use AQS to fill an open wound like when the toe rand opens up from the shoe,

    I would get some in there with a toothpick or nail of sft BUT AQS is not a contact kind of a glue so its not gona stick until its either clamped, or almost dry and almost dry would be 8-10hrs, wait 8-10 hrs and it will probably stick if you squeeze it all together
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  21. #221
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Five Ten Trailcross
    Thanks, sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •