Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Run your suspension as hard as Gwin, have brakes with ZERO modulation like Bruni, and CNC your own linkages for custom leverage rates like Minnaar. Race day is everyday for a weekend warrior, so we all should set up our bikes the same as the top pros.
    Yeah, that's totally what I said, sure. I'll keep that in mind the next time someone says "Everyone at Rampage and Crankworx rides flats! No one with actual bike skills rides clipless."

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yeah, that's totally what I said, sure. I'll keep that in mind the next time someone says "Everyone at Rampage and Crankworx rides flats! No one with actual bike skills rides clipless."
    Oh lighten up. We both understand the dis/advantages of flat vs clipless. Its just that we value certain dis/advantages differently likely because we ride in different areas, on different trails, and find different things more fun than others.

I'm just here to pay some respect to the amazing knees you flat pedalers must have. I ride clipless specifically to let my feet rotate on the pedal with as little resistance as possible. With light retention I have no issue getting out for either a dab or OTB, and I hate walking tech (or dabbing, really), so most of the appeal of flats is lost on me--luckily, given my knees. Enjoy em!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Much of the benefit of sticky rubber gets negated when you put a hiking shoe tread pattern on it. Some pins might not be making contact at all, and the pins can get caught on the edges and crevices which makes it harder to make small adjustments to foot position.
    More time on the Adidas Trail Cross shoes this last weekend ... I have zero doubt that 5.10’s have better grip through high speed rubble, jumps, etc than the Adidas counterpart, but I think for all day adventure riding I’m really happy with the shoes - very breathable, easy to walk, and still enough grip to climb up punchy rocky rooty stuff. Clipless is faster, no doubt, flats are ever so slightly easier and more practical, and my wife can no longer complain that I am able to get through a section “just because I’m clipped in.”

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    and my wife can no longer complain that I am able to get through a section “just because I’m clipped in.”
    Heh.

I hate being clipped in like I hate frame bindings. When I hit a tough section and made a mistake I could not get out and felt trapped. For me I like flats and now if I can fix pedal strike issues I might actually become a real MTBer
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I've not found the flats to be much worse at technical climbing, although it took awhile to overcome the muscle memory of pulling up in that sort of terrain - 'cause that don't work with flats.

That said, I'm old and weak and my endurance continues to get suckier and suckier... I attribute that to me walking techy ups nowadays... not the pedals. I should blame the pedals.
    I prefer them in almost every situation other than rough high speed stuff where I'll occasionally lose a pedal. It so infrequent though so I'll deal with it. I try not to walk the techy ups but it's happening more often than it used to for the same reasons as you.

I only have one ride on them, but so far so good. Look into Adidas Trailcross Terrex series. They make a low top and a mid - the mid includes D3O ankle protection.

Adidas owns 5.10 so it’s stealth rubber. Tread pattern means not quite as good grip as a Freerider but it’s still really good, and they have deep traction grooves in the toe and heel of the sole for hike a bike.

I was pretty happy on a hot day with the ventilation, pretty happy with the traction on the jumps and climbing ability going up a rock garden, and very happy with the looks of something not a skate shoe.
    Those high ones are almost definitely going to be my next shoes I just need to try a pair on before committing to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I'm just here to pay some respect to the amazing knees you flat pedalers must have. I ride clipless specifically to let my feet rotate on the pedal with as little resistance as possible. With light retention I have no issue getting out for either a dab or OTB, and I hate walking tech (or dabbing, really), so most of the appeal of flats is lost on me--luckily, given my knees. Enjoy em!
    My knees and ankles are SO much happier since I went back to flats almost 10 years ago.

More time on the Adidas Trail Cross shoes this last weekend ... I have zero doubt that 5.10’s have better grip through high speed rubble, jumps, etc than the Adidas counterpart, but I think for all day adventure riding I’m really happy with the shoes - very breathable, easy to walk, and still enough grip to climb up punchy rocky rooty stuff. Clipless is faster, no doubt, flats are ever so slightly easier and more practical, and my wife can no longer complain that I am able to get through a section “just because I’m clipped in.”
    That's great to hear, actually the first review I've seen from someone I know puts them through their paces properly.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Last pair of shoes were the Contacts, and just got the Freeride Pros at the start of spring. I much prefer the dotted pattern. no noticeable downgrade of grip on the pedals, but i can adjust and twist my foot a little bit easier. plus makes for easier walking on steep slick trails. Also the Pros are stiffer and have a little bit better toebox protection, and are pretty light. Very, Very happy with the new shoes.
    original Five Ten Freeriders: Comfortable. Soft. Laster 5+ years

Freerider Contact: Uncomfortable for me. Stupid flat sole. Lasted a few months then replaced with a warranty pair that feel apart just as fast.

Freerider Pro: Better fit, function and durability, but I have chunks falling out of the sole where it sits on the pedal after 1 year of use. So, durability is still not good.

What gives? Flat pedal shoes are more expensive for me since they get torn up faster. Should I get them resoled or something? Clipless shoes at least last me for many years!

I like flats because I can grab my MTN bike and go get beer downtown in my sandals without slipping a pedal and bashing my shins when I hit my sick moves on my way down the hill. Rode clipped in for 20 years, the beer factor is the biggest disadvantage. Going fast through chunder is the biggest advantage but I don't give a #uck about that anymore, I'm focused more on slowing down a little and being clean and stylish in my riding.

Need some new flats, and would love some opinions based on first-hand experience. Been running the Pedaling Innovations Catalyst dinner plate pedals - my first mtb flat pedal. I love their size, but want to try something with a lower profile, and perhaps a touch shorter, as I would like to reduce pedal strike. I want versatility - big and stiff enough for all day rides, but good grip for jumping and tech, low profile, etc. All the things. Going on a 2019 Patrol.

Thinking 110x110ish for size. 100x100 is too small for my big and fucked feet.

Considering, in this order:
    OneUp Composites (or Aluminum, but leaning towards the Comp) - big, cheap, grippy, thin. Convex.
    Canfield Crampon Mountains - looks great, but convex shape has me curious. Also, $$$
    Hope F20 - pimp.
    DMR Vault - too thick?
    Kona Wah Wah 2 - concave composite

Anyone have personal experience with any of these - particularly the OneUp? That one seems right on the mark.
    sproing!

Good luck finding anything with a platform that you'll find big enough.

I find anything with the small thin pins to be too hard on shoes and too prone to pin damage.

I find the non-square ones (RaceFace Atlas, Spank Spike, etc) don't feel as big as their stated dimensions. I really need square corners at the outside edge to feel like it's doing anything. One pointy part that sticks out farther does nothing for me.

Pedal strike is over rated. Deal with it and get used to whatever you're using.

Plastic pedals will slowly die as pin holes strip out and deform to where you get one less pin and then one less pin and so on.

For a lot of companies, you really need to consider whether bearings and pins are available.

Deity TMAC seems to be at the top of the heap from my perspective.
    Crank Brothers Stamp Large is a good TMAC alternative. I find that putting their long pins on the perimeter and small pins in the middle give it a much more agreeable concave feel.
    However many are in a shit ton.

OneUps are great. I've got 2 pairs of alloy, 1 composite. The comp feels slightly bigger since it doesn't have a "bearing bump" inboard. I haven't had to replace any bearings yet in like 2 years or however long they've been out, compared to every 6 months with RF Atlas.

I have both Deity Black Cat and Spank Spikes. I prefer the Deity’s. They have enough grip but not too much. I find the Spanks tricky to reposition on the fly due to the long pins. The squarer profile of the Deity’s is more supportive also.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for the comments and recs y'all! Hadn't look at the Deitys but those are nice. I wish I could "demo" the pedals before buying...oh well.

FYI, I contacted Canfield because I coundn't figure out how to order the Crampon Mountains and they replied "We are out of stock for a few more months on the MTN pedals." Months! Guess I'll be buying another option....
    sproing!

I've been riding the chromag scarabs for a long time. Nice and thin, big platform, great grip
    The new Dagga from Chromag also looks wild.

Why do convex pedals exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

To match the natural concave of a human foot.

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    To match the natural concave/arch of a human foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Why do convex pedals exist?
    Because some people will literally believe any bullshit.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Most sensible comment on the subject, ever
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Tell me about flat pedals

I know they’re not on your list but I have a pair of the Chromag Contacts and they are badass, I really really dig em. For the money though those One Up’s look like a pretty sweet option IMO, no exp though.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Thanks for the advice y'all. Settled on DMR Vaults. Found some for 35% off at chain reaction cycles. Will report back.

Contacts look really good too...and I would still like to try some of that convex bullshit out...someday.
    sproing!

Get the red ones.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Get the red ones.
    Well duh. Everybody knows that. I mean, meter-man's not a complete idiot is he?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    To be fair, I pedal strike way less with Crampons than with my Stamps. That convex shape makes for nice thin leading edges. But Crampons make my feet cramp, so Stamps it is.