Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Don't BMX racers wear clipless?
    Grown-up pros do. But most BMX racers are kids and kids mostly ride flats. Plus the BMX freestyle/dj guys are all on flats. And growing up with a BMX background really does give you a nice bike-handling skill foundation.

I think everyone knows, flats are fun, clipless is efficient.

I think everyone knows, flats are fun, clipless is efficient.
    I switched to flats a year ago, and I don't see any difference in the uphill times.

Maybe a few fewer crashes on uphill technical stuff though.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Flat pedals are flat

Good for riding my town bike to the bar

I would put flats on a fat bike for snow where the SPD pedal & cleat pack with snow/ice

Flats were great for riding skinnies becuz I could ditch the bike 1/100 th of a second faster than I could with SPD's , but I also tended to inadvertently ditch the bike on bumps when I wasn't riding skinnies, eventualy I just quit riding skinnies and stuck with the SPD's in the trails
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Also, what's the deal with alloy vs. composite?.
    Not much, metal pedals can be made thinner+more concave which is nice if you're riding the roughest stuff you can find, but now that there's a few great composite options that are large and with good metal pins, I feel no reason to spend more, I've been pretty happy on one up composites I've had all this year so far.

^^^one ups look good, both the aluminum and th e composites and are reasonably priced. Those guys keep pumping out cool products.
    I really like ultra thin pedals. So planted. Thicker the pedal the more they feel like they want to roll. I was hooked after my ht ae03’s but the bushings and bearings wore out after a year. It was ez to rebuild but still died too soon. Bought some Canfield crampons and they’ve been really good. I’ll buy them again. After a year they still feel like new. Occasionally they have them on sale

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Bought some Canfield crampons and they’ve been really good. I’ll buy them again. After a year they still feel like new. Occasionally they have them on sale
    ^^^
    Awesome pedal, but you can't beat the RF Chester for value to performance ratio ( IMO ) ...

They do look good. I heard of an atlas issue someone had so I got scared off. Quite possible it was a one off issue and they’re fine though, I’m not sure because I haven’t heard of any issues since. One rock the wrong way can ruin a great pedal. It was at the time I was checking different options for new pedals. Rf, one up, canfield , deity were the ones I was looking at and the Canfields just happened to be on sale

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    ^^^
    Awesome pedal, but you can't beat the RF Chester for value to performance ratio ( IMO ) ...
    Yup. No complaints about mine in the last year of use. Light, cheap, and grippy and they come in a lot of different colors.

I find the idea of $100 plus flats ridiculous. I currently purchase mine from China off of fleabay. Quality has been outstanding, good grip etc.

Can anyone explain the cost of the HD components pedal for $150?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

The ultra thins cost a few extra cha chings. Once you get on those ultra thins it’s hard to buy thicker flats. Price be damned , now you’re just looking for durability

and they come in a lot of different colors.
    Right, but you got the red ones, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Right, but you got the red ones, yes?
    Green and black. Maybe that's why I'm so slow

Green and black. Maybe that's why I'm so slow
    Damnit! I ordered a pair of the green Chesters earlier this week. I'm not looking forward to slowing down...

I am squarely in the "older I get - the faster I was" category...

I've been extremely pleased with my spank oozys. Metal, thin, grippy as fuck, and they can take a beating and keep on spinning.

I’ve got Crampons and love them, but also put chesters on my wife’s new bike and was impressed when I rode it, especially for the price.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Flat pedals are awesome for bike parks, jump lines, and super-tech. They fucking suck on the uphills for efficiency and are much easier to pedal strike, which at this point is how I often crash. And I pedal less on uphills to avoid strikes, and less on downhills (well, just a smidge less on DHs) so I don't really understand how people don't notice the difference between the two. I do understand why people keep flats for XC riding, and that's fine, but really? You don't see a difference???

My pedals have flat one side, clips on the other. I love them.

^^^Jeez Guy, those are the worst of all worlds. Bad at everything, all the drawbacks of both with few of the rewards of either. I would encourage you to to try a real pedal/shoe combo of either persuasion. You'll be blown away.

I mostly agree with all of you about $100+ flat pedals but all the high end flats have been always been this way, even more. Some of the blingiest, like the Twenty6 Predator, were $300+.
    Not that I ever have, or ever would pay that. Looks like Twenty6 designs is tits up these days anyway though. I bet he regrets the name choice for his company, ha.

I'm a clipless guy myself. I like a bit of platform though, for emergencies, and a shoe that walks OK.

I do have some of the resin pedals on the DJ bike, and I like flats for jumping, and for Park (mostly jumping). Used to run them on the DH bike for park, but still preferred clipless for racing unless it was super wet and slippery. Flats are sweet but, like many here, I do a lot of mileage and a lot of vert, and I like really techy stuff up and down. Having used both in various situations, I prefer clipless for my trail bike. Mostly for pedal stroke and power but also, in spite of nice 5.10s and good pedals, my feet will bounce around a little on rough stuff and I hate trying to adjust my foot position while riding on flats. BMX background here too and bunny hopping on flats is still intuitive for me, easy peasy. My technique automatically adjusts based on what I'm on, and what I'm trying to do. Like just trying to to clear a hole, get my back wheel up on something, or get up and over something tallish. It's just a learned skill.

Anyhow, not being a total connoisseur, the resin pedals seem great to me, and definitely worth the price. Also agree that a good shoe is key, probably more important than a good pedal.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Flat pedals are awesome for bike parks, jump lines, and super-tech. They fucking suck on the uphills for efficiency and are much easier to pedal strike, which at this point is how I often crash. And I pedal less on uphills to avoid strikes, and less on downhills (well, just a smidge less on DHs) so I don't really understand how people don't notice the difference between the two. I do understand why people keep flats for XC riding, and that's fine, but really? You don't see a difference???
    I ride both and it sounds like you need some better shoes for flats.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

My buddy rides Pro BMX (20" and cruiser), travels to all the nationals with the team etc and he rides clipless on those little bikes.

But when he rides MTB he ridesa 29er oddly, and flats even though he has to pay out of pocket for the flat pedals (but not for the 5.10s haha). He hates climbing and sucks at it, but he says that the only area where clipless are superior to flats in his mind is when flat-out sprinting, or when trying to pedal over chunky terrain. So unless you are trying to set PRs on climbs or pedaling hard through chunk flats dont have a downside, and have a lot of upsides - after ride use, hikeability, and being able to bail easily and moto turn easily.

I have 5.10 freeride pros and concave, thin, resin pedals and love the combo. I can hit rocks or logs and the resin pedal doesnt catch like a metal pedal would. Grip is great, and i just did a ride that involved about 4 miles of hike-a-bike over granite boulder fields and the 5.10 rubber really shone brightly there.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I ride both and it sounds like you need some better shoes for flats.
    Brand new 5.10s. I would hope there are less stiff shoes out there, but it's not the shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    My buddy rides Pro BMX (20" and cruiser), travels to all the nationals with the team etc and he rides clipless on those little bikes.

But when he rides MTB he ridesa 29er oddly, and flats even though he has to pay out of pocket for the flat pedals (but not for the 5.10s haha). He hates climbing and sucks at it....
    A guys opinion who sucks at climbing and hates it is worthless.

Also, anyone who walks up steep techy climbs, yes flats and your 5.10s are better, I'm sure they are great walking up, ha. Anyone who tries to climb those steep techy climbs, whether you make it all the way up or not, it's clipless all the way. Maybe this is why we are getting such a variance of opinions here, what people are actually climbing up.

I've not found the flats to be much worse at technical climbing, although it took awhile to overcome the muscle memory of pulling up in that sort of terrain - 'cause that don't work with flats.

That said, I'm old and weak and my endurance continues to get suckier and suckier... I attribute that to me walking techy ups nowadays... not the pedals. I should blame the pedals.

I imagine the WC DH field finds this discussion amusing.