NSR: Way Down South (South Africa TR)

Spring has sprung here in CO for the 3rd or 4th time this season, but with the equinox making it official, the sun's rays are finally starting to invoke yearnings for warm weather adventures. Climbing and MTB gear is being resurrected, ski days are starting at 4AM and finishing by noon, my neighbors are doing their best beached whale impressions on the front lawn, and I'm going through photos from another winter season gone by.

Adventure numero uno this year came in the form of a Thanksgiving journey to the Rainbow Nation. My family has never been shy to buck convention during the holidays, and this year we opted out of the big family gathering (again) and packed our bags for Africa. I purchased a new camera ahead of this trip, in one last attempt to offset my weak photography game by throwing money at the problem. What follows is my best attempt at cataloging some of the radness that is South Africa. The food is world class, the country is beautiful, and the exchange rate is favorable for 'mericans. Go. Go now.

The trip started with a quick flight from Denver to Atlanta. I immediately immersed myself in the Hartsfield-Jackson International culture and fueled up for the world's 2nd longest direct flight with Chicken & Waffles.

We established home base in Cape Town

and then explored coastline real estate options for TGR dentists

Sometimes life's a beach....and sometimes that beach has Monopoly houses on it

The best way to capture an over-photographed subject (like these SA Penguins near Simonstown) is to present a fresh perspective. Here, I opted for the "out of focus" angle

Views from the Lion's Head are acceptable

but the bayside property in Clifton had little to offer a TGR gear whore who needs reliable parking space for a 6SPD manual AWD Wagon. NEXT!

Table Mountain dominates the Cape Town skyline from any angle

We used a few rainy/overcast days to knock out some of the major attractions near CT. Kirstenbosch gardens here

Boomer28 gave me some great beta on SA, the most memorable snippet being that you can "fucking rip" up the coastal highway to Langebaan. My mother was not keen on averaging 120mph as Boomer suggested, but undeterred by her lack of charisma, we made a day trip to Langebaan for some kitesurfing (didn't happen) and a 7 course BYOB seafood feast prepared over wood-fired grills (did happen). Very dutch, very good

Did the wine tasting thing in Stellensbosch. I was out of my element, but still managed to get white gurl wasted

Beautiful coastal waters, filled with sharks!

After 7 days in Cape Town, we closed the book on city livin'

Our next stop was Kruger National Park. Obviously this was a completely different experience than Cape Town, and making it out to rural South Africa felt like going on a bonus vacation.

This game drive brought to you by the finest off-roading vehicles ever constructed

The Elephants were pretty damn impressive - my favorite part of the safari. Giant beings, with visible history in their markings. Super cool to see them up close.

The King

Traditionally-styled Rondovals offer many of the real estate amenities favored by TGR aficionados:

off-the-grid? Check.
    "tiny house" layouts? Check.
    luxury interiors? Check.

Alas, the Rondovals left something to be desired in terms of gear quiver storage space. Also, the MTB trails options in the area were uninspiring, and skiing access was limited (but still better than I-70). Keep looking.

Spring time is baby season in Kruger, and we managed to catch the tail end of that. Young Hyena here

On the final day, and final drive, we caught a glimpse of this massive leopard, which rounded out the "Big 5". A fitting end to a great trip.

Headed home

Last edited by North; 03-23-2015 at 10:25 AM.

cool photos

cool TR, well played. Hopefully your ATL chix/waffles were better than the ones i had there at the IHOP express...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's