Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do you do with old boots?

I'm in the process of a big basement clean out and I'm sitting here staring at a pile of old beaten ski boots.

So what do you do with your old worn out boots?

Mine are all trashed beyond any potential resale or use, but it just feels strange throwing them in the trash.

Is that what people do, just toss em?

The hoarder in me is clearly struggling here...

boot fitting store might be able to re-use some buckles or cuff screws?

if not, huck em

Flower pots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1426977599.353934.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	165460
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

make a fence?

or a chair.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

call a local recycling center and see if they can do anything with them if you're feeling guilty about landfilling 'em?

“I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

• Flower pot (sorry for duplicate)
    • Saw the tops off (donate buckles & hardware per mntlion's sage advice) and use the bottom part to mount to the bindings, enabling use of a ski vice that has an otherwise too narrow jaw width (grab the boot instead of the ski).
    • Saw as above and use as a parts catcher, kind of like this one: http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...arts_Tray.html
    • Donate to someone's ski museum. I gave 5 pairs of skis to Larry's Bootfitting in Boulder & it made me feel good
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-22-2015 at 01:47 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

goodwill

We made a trophy out of one of our surgery resident's broken boot--given to the most inept resident at the yearly departmental ski trip. I bet you're wondering what we did for the most inept resident in the OR.

Hmm, I've been procrastinating making a bookshelf out of some old beat skis for a while now. Might use boots for the dividers

A lot of the old boots and equipment from my family and friends go towards getting new people started. They might not be any good for you, but they still beat the hell out of paying for rentals.

If you have any buckles + catches that screw on (not rivet), I could use a couple. Mrs. C. has some partially bent buckles on her boots that I need to replace sometime over summer - cheesy thin metal on these Dalbello Scorpions where the rivets are failing.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Take photos of the boots, then pull the sole blocks, cuff pivots parts, and buckles. Put this all on ebay. Throw away the actual shells.

Somewhere out there, someone LOVES their boots. They have the same boot as you, and they will need to replace a buckle. A complete replacement sent of spare parts is a handy thing to have it you really love a boot. Plus, these parts are all swappable regardless of boot size.

... or flower pots.

watch out for snakes

Cut off the entire sole so it will still fit into a binding.
    Mount on wall or ceiling, using a 2x4 or or 4x4 spacer, depending on binding.
    Use sole as a ski rack by clipping binding on to sole.

If this works, try it on your roof rack.

Have done the opposite- used mounted old bindings straight onto wall as a convenient place to keep boots.

We used to mount them to the wall above the tuning benches and use them to hold drills when they weren't in use.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I'm having a hard time throwing these away, but they are pretty worked. May have some life in them though???

Technica Cochise 130 - 27.5, new-er Intuition wrap liners. Buckles and tour mode work. Tech heel/toe soles. One strap is a little ragged.

Need the price police to intervene. Was thinking of selling them for free-fiddy + shipping

Name:	image1 (2).jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	844.5 KB 
ID:	297710

Name:	image2 (2).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	922.2 KB 
ID:	297711

Name:	image3 (1).jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	859.7 KB 
ID:	297712

Name:	image5.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	655.4 KB 
ID:	297713

Name:	image6.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	771.0 KB 
ID:	297714

Give them away, I got a duplicate of my boot here on gear swap, l bought buddy a beer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I put the left over hooker feet in them and bury them in the yard

Most shell & cuff plastics are recyclable. Take off the metal hardware (usually steel & aluminum which can also be recycled) and as many other components as you can and you should be able to sort them in plastic recycling. The liner, however, is usually destined for the landfill.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    I'm having a hard time throwing these away, but they are pretty worked. May have some life in them though???

Technica Cochise 130 - 27.5, new-er Intuition wrap liners. Buckles and tour mode work. Tech heel/toe soles. One strap is a little ragged.

Need the price police to intervene. Was thinking of selling them for free-fiddy + shipping
    I always wanted a pair of cochise straps for my touring boots. I think they would make transitions faster(?). If you don't have any interest in the whole boot I would take those buckles.

Remember the back entry Hanson's? Know a guy who made a table lamp out of one that was in pristine shape. Almost art...according to him. Didn't get to the Smithsonian.

If they're cracked or lugs are worn I throw them away. If they are still sound, and kids size I gave them all away for free, last batch here in the Kids Gear thread to a maggot up the street. Adult size I tried and didn't like go to thrift store donation bin. I'm not boxing and shipping gear even if I can make a couple dollars doing so.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!