Camping North Cali coast

Greetings all...the wife, doggie, and I are planning a road trip to parts of Northern California coast this spring (early May). We will be heading from MT down through ID --> UT --> NV --> CA and hitting the coast at around Point Reyes and then driving north along the coast to Crescent City, then working our way back to MT through OR --> ID. I've got all the inland stuff worked out, but we are still looking for camping spots along the coast. We will prob spend a week or so driving north, and we camp in our modified 19' Airstream, we have all the gear to boondock, and the trailer has a 4" lift so hookups are not a necessity and we can hit up rougher roads than the common travel trailer. Probably will want to base camp at a couple spots and do day trips from the camping locations. Years ago we camped in Redwood NP for a night when we were travelling from Eugene to San Fran to visit family, and have not been back since. Any recommendations on places to visit or to avoid? Are the Cali state parks with camping (like Salt Point ect) nice like the OR state parks? Good Eats/Drinks along the way? Good places to take the dog out for playtime on the beach? Anyone want to meet up for some scuba, freediving, or total gaper surfing?

For Oregon I thought the Redfish in Port Orford was the coolest restaurant ever and it is in a spectacular location on the OC. Plenty of camping and RV options there. The Redfish is also attached to an impressive world class art gallery, The Hawthorne Gallery.

http://redfishportorford.com/

http://www.hawthornegallery.com/page...ery_north.html

Great surfing at Shelter Cove in Southern Humboldt
    Good abalone diving at Little River (just south of Mendecino)
    Hwy 1 from Mendo to Hwy 101 is a curvy bitch. Same with Briceland Road from 101 to Shelter Cove. They don't call it the Lost Coast for nothing

Mendocino - check out Russian Gulch just north of town. It's kind of under the radar and one of my favorite spots (you will need reservations in advance though) and the cove right there at the camp ground is a prime abalone diving spot.

Gold Bluffs Beach Campground. You're welcome.

Edit: no trailers allowed down there, so I guess it won't work for you unless you park the airstream, which might be worth it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

+ 1 on Russian Gulch. I've done some ab diving there. Better off the headlands than in the cove. Nice campground too. Although I think Van Damme is a little nicer - especially in the upper loop. Might be tough getting reservations.

I don't surf, but I see long boarders at Casper all the time. RV/campground there too, but it is kind of RV-y.

Eats: Piaci Pizza, Ft Bragg. Mendo burger, Mendocino.

How are the Cali parks in regards to dogs? Reading the sites it says they have to be on leash at all times. In MT in the woods K is never on a leash (unless we are skijoring in the winter), and on the beach in OR we always let her run free to chase sticks and swim. Are they sticklers regarding leashes in Cali?

Don't call California "cali"....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Some places you can't take them even in the sp's. I think the fern canyon trail at Van Damme was no dogs. Most of the beaches you can let them run. It's hippy country. No one's going to harsh your buzz, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubadub View Post
    How are the Cali parks in regards to dogs? Reading the sites it says they have to be on leash at all times. In MT in the woods K is never on a leash (unless we are skijoring in the winter), and on the beach in OR we always let her run free to chase sticks and swim. Are they sticklers regarding leashes in Cali?
    It really depends on the place. Most places are pretty relaxed about it, but you'd better make sure you have the dog under control. If that's not an issue you won't have any problems.

It's strict in the redwoods. Pets are not allowed on hiking trails in the redwood parks, not even on a leash. Pets are restricted to designated areas (i.e. within 100 feet of a road or around camping areas) and must be kept on a maximum six foot leash at all times. If your dog barks relentlessly at elk, don't even go to places like Prairie Creek Redwoods (where the previously recommended and excellent Gold Bluffs is located) unless you want to hear people complaining to the rangers and hosts about how your dog ruined sunset elk watching for everybody else. There's so many elk in that park that dogs are pretty much a guaranteed conflict.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 03-18-2015 at 06:32 AM.

If in Gold Beach, OR, eat dinner @ 'Anna's By The Sea'. Indian Creek is a nice campground, Gold Beach RV park is more crowded but right near the Pacific.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

....and we camp in our modified 19' Airstream, we have all the gear to boondock, and the trailer has a 4" lift ....
    Must. See. Pics.

Any chance you have a build thread anywhere? Not going to lie, what you just described is giving me a semi.

another vote for Russian Gulch. Once you hit Oregon I recall Harris Beach being a blast but that was over 10 years ago for me

The Airstream is a 1960 Caravel that we had remodeled (not restored). There are some pics in the RV thread in the ski fourm, I'll dig back through and re-upload them to here. I'd take some more, but it is in the shop getting an awning and c-jacks installed...Thanks for the info! Has anyone ever been down to Mattole Beach, the north end of the "Lost Coast"? Has a small BLM campground right on the beach, looks about perfect!

My favorite spot on the north coast is Salt Point. Large campground. Don't know about dogs. There's also an overflow, no hookup camping area on the bluff. Below the bluffs south of Stump Beach are fantastic rock formations and tide pools. A popular ab diving spot, in season whenever that is. Hope my info is still good--haven't been there in too many years. The beach itself is small, other beaches along the coast have more room for a dog to run. And the rocks below the bluffs wouldn't be a good place for a dog to go into the water.

Check out the app "Bring Fido" for everything dog.
    Lost Coast is the best,but not sure about a trailer,we used a VW camper but it is a bit rough.
    picador

Has anyone ever been down to Mattole Beach, the north end of the "Lost Coast"? Has a small BLM campground right on the beach, looks about perfect!
    No I haven't done it to that campground, but that road doesn't work for towing an Airstream. Also, most roads from King range to the beach start around 3-4k' and snake their way down to ocean level. Then, you have to get back out. Check a topo map closely in this area.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Has anyone ever been down to Mattole Beach, the north end of the "Lost Coast"? Has a small BLM campground right on the beach, looks about perfect!
    Every time I have been to that beach it was really windy there. Not uncommon for the lost coast, but it wouldn't have been really comfy camping. Not to mention the trailer would be a bad call on that road.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!