Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does Insanity=inserts for P18CAST, Beasts and Radicals?

I am seriously considering doing this to every pair of skis I buy from now on. I have Tecnica Cochise's which means they will be fine with P18's next year. Eventually I'll get some nice light touring boots.

I currently have none of the bindings but my Dukes will retire after this winter.

Should I be put in a cage?
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

any hole proximity and/or mount point issues?

and your nice, light touring boots will probably have a BSL that's smaller by ~10mm than your Cochise.
    (which shouldn't be an issue as you can fiddle around with the heel mount to accomodate the other binders; just something to think about).
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Next year's P18s are NOT WTR and are same as this year (thank god)... so if you're ok with cochise in a non - adjustable toe, go for it.

Am I missing something?
    You will have hole overlap issues if you try to mix those three bindings for the same BSL. Especially with inserts.
    Are you planning on swapping soles a lot? Because the AT soles aren't designed to work with the P18's and the Alpine soles won't work with the Dynafits.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Damnit, I had read in a few places on here and from CAST that the 15/16 P18 would be WTR compatible.

In terms of conflicts I figure the highest performance/risk P18 takes priority and the others slide to accommodate. Spyderjon just had a great post in the Radical 2.0 thread that all Dynafits new and old need their rear plate adjusted +/-5mm to make the screws accessible during swaps on inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by powtario View Post
    Damnit, I had read in a few places on here and from CAST that the 15/16 P18 would be WTR compatible.

In terms of conflicts I figure the highest performance/risk P18 takes priority and the others slide to accommodate. Spyderjon just had a great post in the Radical 2.0 thread that all Dynafits new and old need their rear plate adjusted +/-5mm to make the screws accessible during swaps on inserts.
    I haven't checked for inserts, but mounting my beasts for 294mm BSL and the p18s for 310mm bsl did not have any hole conflict.

CAST told me that they would have sliding AFDs that could be retro fit for 15/16...here's hoping that's true.

To the earlier question, I am generally pleased with the way both bindings perform, but if I were you, rather than put that many holes in all of my skis, just do beasts in the "tour likely" sticks and just do p18s in the "resort likely" sticks and when you find yourself hating what you're on wherever you are and just jonesing for a different pair, then it's time to drill more holes.

Edit - dude, I also hate that I can't seem to make the cochise work as a one boot quiver in this scenario...unless I trade my p18s in for marker lords. Seriously fuck that. If the AFD promise turns to myth, there are rumors of summer production of some warden plates. I would consider that an option.

But I remain unwilling to roll the dice with my knee ligaments. I take it your thinking is similar?

I owe a TR/experience summary of my tinkering and ultimately my decision to go with beasts for now. I'll get to it. Especially now that Stevens has suspended operations

How big is the quiver?
    Last edited by SupreChicken; 03-16-2015 at 05:25 AM.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    CAST told me that they would have sliding AFDs that could be retro fit for 15/16...here's hoping that's true.

To the earlier question, I am generally pleased with the way both bindings perform, but if I were you, rather than put that many holes in all of my skis, just do beasts in the "tour likely" sticks and just do p18s in the "resort likely" sticks

Edit - dude, I also hate that I can't seem to make the cochise work as a one boot quiver in this scenario...unless I trade my p18s in for marker lords.

But I remain unwilling to roll the dice with my knee ligaments. I take it your thinking is similar?

How big is the quiver?
    Fingers crossed for AFD's

Logic when it comes to shotgunning holes in a ski is probably a far better idea

We'll have to see what happens with Cochise's......new sole blocks maybe?

Knee ligaments are very precious.

And since I'm moving from the permanently unemployed to gainfully employed AND living a substantial distance away from my GF for 2 years......this quiver thing could get dangerous.

The P14's get the WTR (walk to ride) and gliding AFD. This gives you an additional 4mm of toe height and the gliding toe AFD. Not sure if 4mm will work for the tech toes. I am running CAST/P14/COCHISE. Love the system need a boot fix hoping the WTR P14 works.

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Fiddle View Post
    The P14's get the WTR (walk to ride) and gliding AFD. This gives you an additional 4mm of toe height and the gliding toe AFD. Not sure if 4mm will work for the tech toes. I am running CAST/P14/COCHISE. Love the system need a boot fix hoping the WTR P14 works.
    I measured the toe height differences between the Unshaved tech soles and the din soles at 4mm exactly. Marshal crammed his tech soles into the green p18s without any problems, so I'm pretty confident that a sliding AFD with adjustable height will solve the issue

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    dude, I also hate that I can't seem to make the cochise work as a one boot quiver in this scenario...unless I trade my p18s in for marker lords. Seriously fuck that. If the AFD promise turns to myth, there are rumors of summer production of some warden plates. I would consider that an option.

You're also unwilling to see a decent bootfitter to get a properly fitting pair of alpine boots.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Well Men's Journal (of all fucking things) has confirmed at least the 14's next year. Only Google hit I could find.

http://www.mensjournal.com/expert-ad...ok-spx-binding

Yeah, there's a WTR P14 and I think P12. I looked at all the bindings at SIA. I guess it's possible that there is a WTR P18, but I sure didn't see one. Also not sure how you would retrofit the P14 sliding AFD onto a P18, but maybe it's possible.

Frankly, the WTR Pivots looked extremely shitty and prone to breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    You're also unwilling to see a decent bootfitter to get a properly fitting pair of alpine boots.
    Heh. Can't refute that :P. Those scorpions were rough. That might change with the kr2 sitting in the gear cache in my size. If it's gonna be that burly a boot with no walk mode, I'd like to be able to get in and out of the boot without feeling like I need a crowbar, 15mg of morphine, and a jar of Vaseline (fun sounding emergency kit) to start and finish each ski day. Cabrio design appears to be a good way to address that. If I like that boot well enough, I could see a CAST mod being a good idea. After reading the reviews, I don't think the Lange XT is what I want. Reviews think it softer than the Cochise 130. Man. Really like that boot. Maybe I should just get another pair of those since the Orange monstrosity of 2015 is supposed to have less cuff slop than the 2013 version I have...

A few more hours to decide.

Ugh those toes look awful and very breaky breaky.

Maybe not insanity but certainly over obsessive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I can't believe no one has asked "why?!"

Seriously, am I drunk (I am) or are you mental?

I started to read the first post and didn't get through it all before asking why. This is silly.

Chicken's boot issues are way more interesting. Come have a sit down with gregL or I, and we can get you all figured out.

Fwiw, I inserted all my skis for sollyfits and bought a pair of tecnica cochises as a one boot quiver. Two seasons later and I'm fucking sick of it. Planning on getting a pair of alpine boots next season and leaving the Cochise as a dedicated touring boot. Will have two skis with plates for touring/travel set-up and the rest with alpine binders. Swapping plates, binders, soles, & adjusting forward pressure just about every time I went skiing got old. Plus I never felt the Cochise lived up to my expectations at the resort.

Ymmv, but I think you'll find that it would be more of a pain in the ass than it would be beneficial. Plus your skis will be Swiss cheese.

^^^ couldn't agree more.

i ran with plates for a season or two.
    the appeal of the simplicity and $ savings on binders is attractive, but the fiddle factor in the morning / night before was vexing.
    plates/inserts makes sense (to me) for a tech binder quiver or pair of skis.
    for alpine i like to bring 2 pairs of likely candidates depending on snow conditions and ski the fatter one until that sucks, take a safety break and switch to the skinnier pair.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yeah, there's a WTR P14 and I think P12. I looked at all the bindings at SIA. I guess it's possible that there is a WTR P18, but I sure didn't see one. Also not sure how you would retrofit the P14 sliding AFD onto a P18, but maybe it's possible.

Frankly, the WTR Pivots looked extremely shitty and prone to breakage.
    I was under the impression that the 18 will be WTR compatible but you actually change the whole AFD out, but it remains a non sliding AFD as WTR soles still have the plastic spot to slide on. Maybe the the WTR AFD that you swap out has a slider though.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by powtario View Post
    I am seriously considering doing this to every pair of skis I buy from now on.
    I hear this a lot. Somebody falls in love with a particular piece of gear or certain setup and then wants to run that same setup forever. The problem is, next year there is ALWAYS something newer/better/more refined, etc...
    Don't do it.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    I hear this a lot. Somebody falls in love with a particular piece of gear or certain setup and then wants to run that same setup forever. The problem is, next year there is ALWAYS something newer/better/more refined, etc...
    Don't do it.
    Excellent point. Drunken thought induced mission aborted

Quote Originally Posted by EEC View Post
    Fwiw, I inserted all my skis for sollyfits and bought a pair of tecnica cochises as a one boot quiver. Two seasons later and I'm fucking sick of it. Planning on getting a pair of alpine boots next season and leaving the Cochise as a dedicated touring boot. Will have two skis with plates for touring/travel set-up and the rest with alpine binders. Swapping plates, binders, soles, & adjusting forward pressure just about every time I went skiing got old. Plus I never felt the Cochise lived up to my expectations at the resort.

YMMV, but I think you'll find that it would be more of a pain in the ass than it would be beneficial. Plus your skis will be Swiss cheese.
    This! It takes me so long to dial in the release on a pair of Dynafits & every time I re-mount I have to reset the lateral release (at least when running brakes on Vertical STs).

I'm OK with inserts from a strength perspective, and I have no problems with swiss cheese skis. Having said that, only if I find myself wanting to make a "permanent" conversion (from area to tour or vice versa), will I install inserts in rather than plugging the holes. This way, if/when I change my mind, I can reverse the process.

Dedicating a setup for swapping back and forth as a matter of course just doesn't work with Dynafiddles for me. Gotta look more closely at my Ions to see if they're any better. While I recall it would only require resetting the length in order to access all of the binding screws, I likely will come to the same conclusion with these. There's enough to do to keep skis in tune and waxed. Doing binding swaps on a regular basis just introduces too much possibility for error ... for me. YMMV, so I say, knock yourself out and see what works for you.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Just mount the beasts and be done with it.