SLC Mags - Popperton Smash and Grab

Hey SLC mags. A reminder to stash your stuff when you park at trailheads. I did a loop from Popperton from 10 to 11:45 am today (Saturday) and came back to a smashed window and my purse was stolen. Pretty brazen for a popular parking area on a sunny Saturday. They didn't touch anything else in my car (jackets, toolbox, etc).

Police already found my purse (missing credit cards and DL). Fuckers used all of my credit cards for games at Redbox - Disputing all the non-return charges is going to be a headache.

Sucks, saw this on the Utah trail conditions page on facebook. By the looks of it they've been to the Zoo gravel lot as well, one big pile of glass from a side window. Any chance RedBox setups have built in cameras like an ATM? Hopefully at least the store with the box has cameras that caught someone making the purchase.

I'm always paranoid when I park at Popperton. I'm amazed that people are brave enough to park up the street near the new community garden. When I start at the zoo, I usually park on the street.

same thing happened recently here in Boise a few smashed window and purse or pack missing, nothing else!

Everywhere I've lived has had a trailhead that's known for break ins - Popperton was one. I've just gotten into a habit of keeping my car empty of valuables and leaving it unlocked. Better to lose some change than have to replace a window.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

We have a spot with a similar problem. Leaving the car empty and unlocked doesn't do any good because when they find nothing they damage the inside of the car. I don't ride there anymore.

Yeah, total country move on my part to leave my purse on the floor. Considering they would have found the spare key if they went through the console... I'm fortunate. Got a little complacent living in Steamboat for a few years...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    try taping a shotgun shell or large caliber bullet
    w/ the "do ya feel lucky punks" note on the window
    or i know these guys they ride to the trail head on bikes
    but those fuckers are core
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I had all my 661 samples + Iphone taken at the Wasatch Blvd park and ride near the bottom of Millcreek. So fun to get back from a ripping Crest run and see the pile of glass next to my truck. Fuckers left my wallet though? Phone + wallet come on every ride now.

Worst part was finding my phone for sale on KSL and the cops telling me they couldn't do shit about it!

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    We have a spot with a similar problem. Leaving the car empty and unlocked doesn't do any good because when they find nothing they damage the inside of the car. I don't ride there anymore.
    Yup. I used to do this until one night thieves broke into all the cars in the driveway of the place i was living. They stole stuff from all the other cars but when they found nothing in mine they ripped up the seats and pulled the dashboard off. Fuckers.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Everywhere I've lived has had a trailhead that's known for break ins - Popperton was one.
    Shit, every single trailhead on the Wasatch Front is known for break-ins. I feel like I see fresh glass every ride.

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    same thing happened recently here in Boise a few smashed window and purse or pack missing, nothing else!
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...n-charged.html

This sucks, I hadn't heard of break ins or seen glass at Popperton, and I use that trailhead a lot. I used to park up by the new community gardens but yeah that seems like a bad idea now. Have always heard of a lot break ins at the Zoo trailhead and yeah parking on the street over there, or even in the actual Zoo parking lot seems like the call. I still avoid using that trailhead if possible.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Yeah I also didn't know this was happening, but I am new to the area. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yeah I also didn't know this was happening, but I am new to the area. Damn.
    I once caught a 10-12 year old walking into my carport at 2am going for Round 2 of thievery. Start 'em young! People here will break into most anything. Snatch and grab of bikes from open garages at 11am, break-ins from detached locked garages at night (they followed you home), locked spaces in the basement of condos, and never ever leave stuff in your car outside your house. Having an apre-beer at The Porcupine and you parked in the gravel lot across the road? You might be cleaned out after only two beers. Too lazy to bring in your gear after along day of skiing? Later!

Leaving phones, wallets, and purses at trailheads in plain view is not a bold or ballsy break-in compared to what happens elsewhere. If you haven't had your shit broken into in SLC, just give it time, or you are smart enough to take some extra time to put stuff away and not do dumb lazy shit. I got an ipod and a bunch of quarters stolen once forgetting to lock my car overnight in front of my house. I do that maybe twice a year. Relentless bastards!
    Last edited by muted; 03-21-2015 at 07:02 AM.

I never had any real problems but I walked out to the garage one morning to find some dude in the backroom going through our bikes. By the time I reacted he was out the door and I didn't catch him before he got down the driveway. Pretty brazen stuff

Left my car unlocked in the U student ghetto and still got my window smashed. Idiots probably didn't even check the door. Anyways, they did it just to steal a $75 car stereo's face plate. Crackheads are crackheads and they always seem to thaw out in the spring around here.

Shit guess my brain is still living in small town CO. Time to start paying better attention.