Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hitch mount racks: trays vs vertical carry.

Any strong preferences? One advantage I see of the vertical carry is that it holds six bikes. Any problems with bikes hanging from the fork crown? Which is better for rough roads?

We have both, The north shore rack is awesome when you need to carry more than 2 bikes, its also bomber. We drove across British Colombia last summer with 2 Trail bikes and 2 DH bikes, Road surfaces we mixed the bikes were always solid. We also have a KUAT NV tray rack which is easier to use but not nearly as strong. Both are good racks for there purposes, if you need to carry more than 2 bikes I say hanging style makes more sense so it doesn't stick out so far.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I would agree with above for the most part. I don't know if there has been some way to fix the north Shore to carry road bikes but that used to be a downside to North Shore rack if you also carried road bikes on occasion.

what about something like the softride hangfive. seems more roadbike friendly, but I do wonder about carbon handlebars. The swagman jackknife also seems like it would be neat, but not fatbike compatible as far as I can tell.

NSR = FKNA
    watch out for snakes

For 2 bikes, I love my 1-Up. I agree that 4 bikes on a tray rack sticks out too far, and that's when you want a rack that hangs them. Hanging racks also accommodate a fat bike more easily. I can't get one in my 1-Up without buying the adaptor.

One of my buds has been able to carry his cross bike on his NSR by hanging it from the handlebars. Not ideal, but it works.

Rough roads and Thule trays suck. They will get looser and looser, and the sheathes that wear out that create the play are not available to anyone to buy (supposedly not even at bike shops) and are not even on the rack diagram as existing. It's made to be thrown away. Also my wife is 5'8" and closing the 4-tray, even in perfect new condition, is hard. I'm 6'2" and even then it's a bit awkward.

Mine is on its last leg and I am very ready to buy an expensive NSR. Luckily I am going to CA soon and will buy one there, as the CA dollar is weak, especially after this week.

Selling a like new NSR 4 in Park City. PM me if interested.

the kuat nv is awesome, use grow25 code to get 25% on cc you can also get 10% back from activejunky and the price at the mid 300s for that rack is a great deal!

I can only speak to 1upUSA vs Kuat and Thule.
    1upUSA = 1000x better.

I don't ever see needing to carry more than 3 bikes because all the accompanying bodies and shit inside the car would get horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ridevt View Post
    Selling a like new NSR 4 in Park City. PM me if interested.
    Pm sent, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    what about something like the softride hangfive.
    Heh. We broke one of those its first day out on some pretty tame shuttle rides. The one in the 'vital review' at the bottom

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guid...e/Hang-5,13069

I guess they changed them up but I wasn't impressed. I was impressed with my buddy's strap system to make it last the rest of the trip though.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Rough roads and Thule trays suck. They will get looser and looser, and the sheathes that wear out that create the play are not available to anyone to buy
    True dat.

I drilled a hole through the top and put a bigass bolt in mine that goes through both beams and it's held pretty solid. After seeing everyone else stretch out those beam clamp things, I just did it to mine brand new. It seems to be holding up well but it's not ideal in stock form.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Heh. "Snapped the first time we fully loaded it. 3.5 stars."

First run. First half mile.

About 30 grand in bikes dragging on the ground in half a second. I remember thinking "softride, a name I associate with quality and performance"

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    1upUSA = 1000x better.

I don't ever see needing to carry more than 3 bikes because all the accompanying bodies and shit inside the car would get horrible.
    Oh man we always have at least 4 bikes (and sometimes one or two on top of the car and sometimes one IN the car) Guess it depends on where you live and how much shuttling there is around though. I also like to be able to take both my bikes on vacations too so a 4+ rack is essential imo.

I vote for the vertical rack as well. As far as the road bikes we just keep bike trays on the roof rack for those as I don't worry about my rd bike as much.

Who travels somewhere to ride a road bike?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

1up best rack out there.

Easy - Need trail bike, dirt jumper and DH bike for 2 people on a road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    1upUSA = 1000x better.

I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Who travels somewhere to ride a road bike?
    errr, i have, a few times...most fun was Vegas with a century event in Death Valley and the 34-mile River Mountains Loop pathway linking Boulder City, Lake Mead and Henderson. But obviously the trip wasn't ONLY to road bike...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I'm going through Vancouver where NSR are based out of, can you even buy NSR in stores or at their location in Canada? Or is it mail order-only like the states?

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    Easy - Need trail bike, dirt jumper and DH bike for 2 people on a road trip.
    Then I'd certainly go with the NSRack. 4 bikes are a lot of $hit to leave strapped to your car while you ride trail though. Maybe better to get a Sprinter Van at that point.

I'm going through Vancouver where NSR are based out of, can you even buy NSR in stores or at their location in Canada? Or is it mail order-only like the states?
    Yes you can swing by the shop and pick one up from them direct. Send them an email or call to arrange.

Rough roads and Thule trays suck. They will get looser and looser, and the sheathes that wear out that create the play are not available to anyone to buy (supposedly not even at bike shops) and are not even on the rack diagram as existing.
    The Yakima hitch rack sorta sucks for rough roads, too. The pin that holds it up vibrates out and the rack tilts down (as if to open the back of the truck). I fixed it in Moab by putting a hitch pin through it, but it's a bit annoying to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Heh. "Snapped the first time we fully loaded it. 3.5 stars."
    Seriously...What the hell kind of review was that? It fuckin broke! It broke doing what it was designed to do. Hate to see what a product would be like that gets less than 3.5 stars from that reviewer. Funny stuff...