Awesome bike trail app kickstarter needs help...

This awesome app still needs a lot of help to reach their Kickstarter goal that ends in a few weeks. Once it has the proper coverage, I'd prefer it over mtbproject.com. Faster and carries more useful information for when you're traveling somewhere new.

www.guidepro.co

Just use Trailforks.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Just use Trailforks.
    Not to be harsh to the above kickstarter, but I'm not overwhelmed. What shirk said there's already other alternatives out there and launched. They don't really sell what they're adding that trailforks doesn't do... and 6k$ aint going to get you to a place that competes with trailforks. Frankly seems from the video like a guy with an idea, congrats.

Where do they get their trail data?
    Who monitors it?
    How are they going to stay in business (make money)
    Why should I use this over trailforks, mtbproject, mtbr, etc

Just use Trailforks.
    Ditto.

The app already exists and works well (hard to find in the app store though - being worked on). The funding is for phase 2 of development. Try the Sedona and Palisade regions - those have the most detailed content.

The trail data is generated by regional experts who know, build, and ride the local trails - usually the local trail organizations. They're paid to provide highly accurate and detailed information, as opposed to user-supplied data which is often incomplete and sometimes inaccurate.

Monitored in what way? Servers and functionality, or content? The content is not user-supplied, so no monitoring necessary.

The app is $5 and I believe you pay to install loadable modules for regions (feature doesn't exist yet). I think some of that goes to the local trail organization?

Its basically a replacement for the paper maps you'd buy at a bike shop. Its not really a direct analogy to mtbproject, trailforks, etc, despite the medium being the same (iPhone).

Its a lot faster and easier to navigate what you want. The data is structured so you can search for types of rides, and the data gives you a better idea of how to ride, get to the trailhead, and markers along the ride to stay on it, including tracking where you are on the ride. You can also add/remove trails on a per-ride basis so that the app executes faster and doesn't innundate you with every trail in the area.

Try the app out for $5 - it somewhat answers this question. Sedona and Palisade are the most complete in terms of content.

Isn't the Trailforks app just a reporting tool? It doesn't seem like a trail guide app, from what I can tell? (different from the website)

Do any of these have the option of "Build a Ride" where you can link multiple trails together and get a complete profile? As far as I can tell, that would be the main difference. I've used trailforks and mtbproject for a few years but honestly I rarely take them with. I hate fucking with a phone mid-ride.

It's pretty funny to see all these apps coming out and I still find people lost all the time on my local trails. It took me years to figure out all the loops and connections without a smartphone, now people are out at every junction with their phones out trying to figure out where the fuck they are.

Fucking with paper maps is the same, isn't it? Most apps do a poor job of replacing a paper map. This one is designed to remedy that.

Yeah, this app - Guide Pro - can do the build your ride feature - sort of. It allows you to select a few trails and only those show up on the map. You can't build a ride from trail segments, though. At least not yet? Not sure whats in the works for development phase 2.

Paper doesn't need WiFi, GPS, or batteries and folds up nicely in your pocket, it can also be waterproof. But yeah, you can probably also just print out your route from the app on your computer maybe.

"The trail data is generated by regional experts who know, build, and ride the local trails - usually the local trail organizations." This seems like it hurts it more than helps, limits the amount of data when only a few "Local Experts" list trails. They'll only list the mainstays that you could find anyway. The CO trail, Peaks, etc. MTBproject does a pretty good job with user generated trails.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Do any of these have the option of "Build a Ride" where you can link multiple trails together and get a complete profile? .
    Profile and directions in the new Trail Routing function on Trailforks.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/trailfo...l-routing.html

I wish them luck, but they're competing against what is becoming the biggest trail database ever. Trailforks is free and funded out of the deep deep pockets of Pinkbike there are no plans to monetize it. Resources are not an issue for Trailforks. Currently their mobile app is not full function but they are working on it.

trailforks kind of sucks. They basically took everything that was on skidmap and re-branded it as trailforks. A lot of the names of trails in trailforks are named incorrectly and some trail paths are even dead wrong. Now you'll notice they're starting to scrape from MTBProject.

If you want accurate maps with descriptions, pictures, correct GPS paths go to MTBProject, they are partnered with the IMBA and take accuracy seriously.

guidepro, trailforks and singletracks are basically scrambling to keep up with mtbproject

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Paper doesn't need WiFi, GPS, or batteries and folds up nicely in your pocket, it can also be waterproof. But yeah, you can probably also just print out your route from the app on your computer maybe.

"The trail data is generated by regional experts who know, build, and ride the local trails - usually the local trail organizations." This seems like it hurts it more than helps, limits the amount of data when only a few "Local Experts" list trails. They'll only list the mainstays that you could find anyway. The CO trail, Peaks, etc. MTBproject does a pretty good job with user generated trails.
    definitely nice to have paper, especially in a place like Sedona since all of the trails connect and I find myself referencing the map several times to get a good idea of where I'm at. Have consulted MTBProject for recommended rides all over the western slope, sedona, moab, st. george area and front range/summit/eagle county. It's never disappointed so far. Seems like all of the other sites just list trails out and don't outline recommended rides so what good is it when you could just have a paper map for that...Come to think of it, even the paper maps like the one for Sedona has "recommended" rides on it.

Anyone watch the video?

Sounds like some people just need to learn how to read a map better.

MTBProject has no trails for all of North Vancouver, Squamish and most of BC for that matter.

Perhaps it's more USA based. Trailforks has always been pretty accurate to me.

Now, for Android use, I use the various gps live apps from http://www.trailmapps.com/

Those rock. Accurate, and they have all the trail descriptions, live map and shows exactly where you are standing when on a ride.

Mostly BC though. No USA. ANd they are paid app. But worth it.

it's like some people don't even see where their Hey This Is Great! concept will lead.

it's like some people don't even ride bikes.

it's like some people think discovery is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    They basically took everything that was on skidmap and re-branded it as trailforks.
    Say what? Trevor May created trailforks from scratch no re-branding.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=147033

The history is in that link if you care to read it.

http://www.trailforks.com/about/skidmap/

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    Seems like all of the other sites just list trails out and don't outline recommended rides so what good is it when you could just have a paper map for that...Come to think of it, even the paper maps like the one for Sedona has "recommended" rides on it.
    Thats one of the main problems that Guide Pro is trying to resolve (amongst other things). Provide accurate information from local experts for recommendations, style of trail, direction to ride, etc.

Are these app-maps better than the strava global heatmap? I love that thing. It leads me to all sorts of new rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Are these app-maps better than the strava global heatmap? I love that thing. It leads me to all sorts of new rides.
    Trailforks works to eliminate all of the illegal/unauthorized trails.

They work with the local trail associations to flag these trails so they don't show up when a user uploads a ride report or tries to add a new trail.

It's not perfect and there is a lag, but it's way better than Strava at keeping stuff off maps that shouldn't be there.

Say what? Trevor May created trailforks from scratch no re-branding.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=147033

The history is in that link if you care to read it.

http://www.trailforks.com/about/skidmap/

I realize that, but it seems like most of the trails that are mapped now came originally from skidmap. Skidmap had been around awhile and was awesome when there was nothing else out there that had an easy to use online map for trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    not really for mtn biking, but if you go to maps.neotreks.com and use their "land use" map it shows a staggering number of trails with some not even listed on lat 40 maps, ect. It may not be 100% accurate, but it has led me to some really weird obscure trails before. Hell it even shows the famous Crested Butte "secret" trail which is unlabeled...pretty funny

Trailforks says there are no trails near my location. The trails near my location will be bummed when they find out.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Trailforks says there are no trails near my location. The trails near my location will be bummed when they find out.
    Savor that.

I'm jealous.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Nevermind, it was the reports app. Website is hard to navigate on a phone, bit looks like they have some stuff. MTBProject looks to have most everything with some really good descriptions. Didn't know this was out there. Pretty cool, though as others have said, I'll continue to carry my Nat Geo maps.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.