Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What Laptop Now?

Well my Macbook Air appears to have a future as a doorstop and not much else. Maybe they'll resurrect it at the Apple store on Thursday but I kinda doubt it, it's dead as a door nail right now.

There's no real reason for me to have a Mac, I use Word and Gmail and cruise the net and watch video, that's about it. I travel a pretty fair amount so I need something light and sturdy with good battery life. 13" screen is fine.

Been trying to read some reviews but I'm on my phone and it's a pain. So enlighten me please. What laptop should I buy?

Apple will replace every part in that laptop for $300 as long as you didn't drop it in the ocean.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I just got an Asus with a 15.whatever" touchscreen, full keyboard, Windows 8. It was like $500. It's very nice. Windows 8/8.1 is a bit of a bitch to set up on first use for some reason, but after that, it's fine. Actually, it starts up and shuts down really fast. For whatever reason, running updates the first time seems to take forever and the progress bar isn't accurate at all, so it looks like it's doing nothing. It's really frustrating. Classic Shell gets you your Windows style Start Menu back, although, you're used to a Mac, so you may not care. Windows 8 also has some other "features" and default apps that are a bit annoying, but once you set up the defaults, you're good to go. Can't really comment on battery life. It's one of those ones you can flip over and use as a tablet...So I got that going for me. If you need help/more info, I could help. (starting my own business, I can remote on to you, etc. No, I'm not posting about it here. I know the website isn't the best. Thanks.)
    Also, ninite.com is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Apple will replace every part in that laptop for $300 as long as you didn't drop it in the ocean.

You got in before me! Explain, plz.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

For basic phartin' around on the web and some doc work I like my hp Chromebook a lot. I've had it for about 6 (maybe 8) months and it's been bomber for $300.

Would buy again...

I didn't do anything to it, it just froze and then went black, so I guess we'll see what they do on Thursday. It's four years old so I didn't really expect them to do anything.

Last edited by Tippster; 03-10-2015 at 08:27 PM.

i'll second ml's comment. i fried my motherboard about a year ago making music and they troubleshooted and replaced for $280 + tax if i remember right. it's a flat fee of sorts; my understanding was that i was going to pay that price regardless of what was fixed/replaced until it was in working order or replaced. this was on a 2010 MBP w/ no applecare or whatever that warranty is.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I just got an Asus with a 15.
    I know nothing about this brand of computer. I'm sure they are great but good gravy, the name! Every time I see it my mind rearranges and adds letters and I see "Anus"

Despite KQ's scrabble brain, I can't speak highly enough about the 2 ASUS laptops I've ownerized.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I edited to the new Asus Zenbook 13" - probably my next compooper.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    For basic phartin' around on the web and some doc work I like my hp Chromebook a lot. I've had it for about 6 (maybe 8) months and it's been bomber for $300.

Would buy again...
    Almost. Get an Acer Chromebook instead. They are less expensive AND better. Love it.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Well, if all you use your computer for is playing on the internet and the occasional word processing, then a cheap Chromebook should totally do the trick. I've heard nothing but great things about them for those purposes. They're not for everybody, but could be perfect for you.

I've got a 7 yo Dell that I love and a 2 yo Toshiba that is equally wonderful.

I did have to replace the Dell's hard drive after 6 years but it was an easy DIY project that cost less than $50 and now it's like brand new.

If you MUST abandon Apple then another vote here for Asus. I have owned two. Currently have a Toshiba work laptop. Not bad but I like the Asus and the 13" looks nice.

I personally would stay with what you have if it can be cheaply repaired. The latest window system was designed for touch screen and to me it sucks. I have downloaded a program called "classic shell" to make it go away.

Also, I hate touch screens but that's a personal observation. Your results may vary.

edit to add I bought the lady in my life a Surface 2 then upgraded her to a Pro. She likes it but I loathe it. The whole swipe/touch thing drives me nuts

If you are looking to replace the air with something light and powerful, check out the MS Surface Pro. It's been a great unit, I can run my CAD software, Lightroom, and photoshop, albeit a desktop is better for these programs. Different price point than some of the other recommendations but not out of line with the MB Air.

anus laptop sounds like oxymoran.
    watch out for snakes

I like my Asus also (my home laptop). My work laptop is a Lenovo which is a workhorse.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

me - big asus fan - great machines - unfortunately I don't have one now

Yeah if ml's right I'll just get them to fix it, I won't know until tomorrow since that's the first appointment they had but if that doesn't work out I'll check out that Asus Zenbook but the chromebooks are so cheap I'll look at them for sure. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    If you are looking to replace the air with something light and powerful, check out the MS Surface Pro. It's been a great unit, I can run my CAD software, Lightroom, and photoshop, albeit a desktop is better for these programs. Different price point than some of the other recommendations but not out of line with the MB Air.
    I LOVE my Surface Pro 3 (a system on which Windows 8 is really great on actually), but I think it would be the wrong recommendation for OP. Yes, it's a beast of a computer for the size, and is insanely capable, but it's super overkill for iceman's needs. It's a premium computer, but it comes at a premium price.

As far as brands go, I am also a fan of Asus. They make some very well built products at fair prices. I bought a cheap-o budget model for my wife like 4 years ago, she beats the crap out of it and treats it very poorly (poor lil' computer), but that thing's been fantastic. Still runs quick! Have had a ton of friends and family with Asus lappies, and they've all been great from what I hear. Would recommend to OP.

I'd still put my money on a Chromebook (of what brand I don't know) as far as getting the OP the most bang for his buck for his super-light computing needs.

2nd or whatever a surface pro 3...sounds like it would fit the things you do for productivity and pleasure and be a perfect fit for travel.

Love my little Acer Chromebook. I snagged it on a kindle fire deal for $60. Would've bought one for each of the kids at that price if they'd let me. It has been a great little unit for basic web stuff.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I'd still put my money on a Chromebook (of what brand I don't know) as far as getting the OP the most bang for his buck for his super-light computing needs.
    I agree. I figured I'd throw the SP3 out there since he's replacing a MBA and he may want to keep up with the cool kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    ...he may want to keep up with the cool kids.
    well duh

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I LOVE my Surface Pro 3 (a system on which Windows 8 is really great on actually), but I think it would be the wrong recommendation for OP. Yes, it's a beast of a computer for the size, and is insanely capable, but it's super overkill for iceman's needs. It's a premium computer, but it comes at a premium price.
    This is all correct, but Icemang flys a lot. One distinct advantage the SP3 has there is that it's a tablet, not a laptop, and thus doesn't have to be turned off and stored for takeoff and landing. It never gets old telling flight attendants to (politely) pound sand when they tell me I need to put my "laptop" away.

ETA: Battery life on the SP3 is pretty great too.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 03-11-2015 at 03:15 PM.