Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    What? No duct tape? May the ire of RedGreen rain down.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Update: received a Lenovo ThinkPad P51 Mobile Workstation last week.

It booted up fine, but wouldn't connect to our wifi to which 6+ other devices are connected.

In the course of screwing around with our ISP tech support (yay, Saturdays), I happened to scope out the driver update and checked the Windows Update history.

On this machine, the update history goes back to October 2018 showing failures to connect to Windows Update.

So some clowns at Lenovo decided to ship us a machine with failing wifi/network without either bothering to qc the wifi or even wipe the windows update history.

The machine is going back. I've let Lenovo tech and sales depts. know about my experience.

^^ I just got a new Chromebook from Lenovo and was really disappointed with the shipping, it took over a week for the thing to leave the warehouse after the order was placed. I spoke to two different CS repas and they both said they would do things that they didn't end up doing. The laptop itself is pretty nice but not stellar, I should have stepped it up to the new 15" with the numeric keypad.

I've got an ancient Acer laptop (2004) running windoz xp, no HDMI output,.... It's a honey but I can't connect my monitor to it so I guess I need something newer. Will be used to run AutoCAD, Revit, lighting software, other specialized engineering shit. I don't want to break the bank.

Get the red one.

I like the red one but it's pretty expensive.

Fuck Lenovo in the ass. But use a rubber. Double wrap. Their support blows syphilitic donkeys for nickels.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    ...blows syphilitic donkeys for nickels.
    I caught that show in Istanbul a couple of weeks ago.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I really need to a new laptop, but don't want to spend much. I keep looking at the chromebooks, but just haven't been able to commit to buying one. Do any of you folks have experience using Office 365 on a chromebook? Is the app the only way to run it? I've been searching on web, but finding conflicting information.

Its sad about new Lenovo laptops. They were my number one choice for a long time but they've gotten really expensive and poorly built it seems.

I've been buying and recommending used Lenovo Thinkspads (I really like the UltraNav joystick). A friend just picked up a T530 from laptopcloseout.ca for $350 CDN (with Windows 10 Pro, 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD). The older processor is a little slower and the battery life is 4 hours instead of 10 hours but it does everything a normal user needs.

Lenovo Thinkpads are popular in the corporate world so there's a lot of good quality used Lenovos for sale as companies update their machines. Accessories like chargers and docking stations are available on eBay.

If you need MS Office you can buy license keys for older versions (e.g. 2010, 2013) on eBay for under $20.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Bump for any current standouts? Pc based, not a chrome book, need to run office. Basically a desktop replacement. Reliability and speed is biggest factor. I don't care about weight or touch.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Bump for any current standouts? Pc based, not a chrome book, need to run office. Basically a desktop replacement. Reliability and speed is biggest factor. I don't care about weight or touch.
    if its for an office and a write off, i would just spend $1500ish at any of the big makers. Dell would be my first choice I think. 16GB RAM, 500gb SSD, i7 or i9 proc.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    As long as you're ok with a 13" screen, this is the best bang for your buck (with high quality build) on the market:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...L/p/20R9005VUS

$720 with i7 8565U, 16GB DDR4 2400MHz, 512GB SSD, non-touch nice screen. Full metal case, like MBP, but not $2000 for that level of specs. I have the 14" version of this and it's awesome. Wife just got the 13" and it's sweet, and super light FWIW.

Cheaper, $599, a bit slower, but great build from Dell - https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...cto05l739013us

Even cheaper, $487, a bit slower (still fine for Office), but nice Thinkpad build - https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...=CSE_Connexity

My daughters Lenovo ThinkPad P51 Mobile Workstation just blew it's screen and is in to have it replaced.

We are not impressed.

Boy, times have changed since I last shopped for a laptop. Lenovo used to be bomber and HP used to be junk. Now it seems to be the opposite! I was just reading about how HP has really upped their game and make some good stuff these days and Lenovo's been slipping big time. Interesting.

Personally I'm 6 years into my MS Surface Pro. Been a solid little thing and still my daily driver. It somehow weaseled its way in to replacing my desktop without me noticing too much. Haha. I use the docking station.

I got an HP laptop 3 years ago to do development on for the digital audio startup work. Lots of compiling, linking, up and downloading to funny boards; it's been bomber.

I'm in the market to get a laptop that will phase out my beastly desktop. I haven't bothered with a game in years, except worms and heroes of might and magic. I have my sights on the dell xps. I really like the screen to body ratio and uhd. What else is similar to it?

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    I really need to a new laptop, but don't want to spend much. I keep looking at the chromebooks, but just haven't been able to commit to buying one. Do any of you folks have experience using Office 365 on a chromebook? Is the app the only way to run it? I've been searching on web, but finding conflicting information.
    There are more than 1 version of Office 365. The ones that allow you to load a local license of the applications (on a PC, Mac, Android device like tablet or phone, Apple iPad or iPhone, etc.) and then the license like O 365 Business Essentials that only allow online version of the Office apps.

Most people that use Chromebooks buy into Google and just open and use the files and documents with the Google Apps- Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc all in the cloud. They do most all of the same stuff as Microsoft Office apps unless you have a really advanced needs (like macros or integration into other software via API's, or certain advanced formatting...)

If you are looking for a decent but not as spendy laptop, check out some of the AMD Ryzen CPU models out there. They are performing pretty close to or in some cases faster than the same higher end Intel laptop CPU's and are being sold for less than the equivalent and comparable Intel processors. AMD has come a long way again in battery life and faster low powered CPU's and Intel is struggling to meet demand with chip shortages and getting their next line of chips to catch up to AMD latest production.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I'm in the market to get a laptop that will phase out my beastly desktop. I haven't bothered with a game in years, except worms and heroes of might and magic. I have my sights on the dell xps. I really like the screen to body ratio and uhd. What else is similar to it?
    Probably the Lenovo Yoga series or possibly one of the Ideapads- (but in Lenovo series those are consumer level systems and not quite as nice build in my opinion as the business class units out there). Do you want small 12 or 13 inch screen only? Convertible to tablet mode (commonly called 2 in 1), how important is touch screen feature?

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-...es-dell-xps-13

I used to be a big ibm then early lenovo fan. I stil have a w500 and a w530(gf's mobile workstation). I got a helix for travel, but I hate it's convertible hinges, too top heavy and the screen to body radio sucks. I'm not touching a 2in1 soon. I thought it would be great for car work software and manuals, but no.

Touchscreen? Dunno i never got in to it on laptops.

I'm still deciding on size. I think I would rather get a 15. They are pretty small with the current screen to body ratio. It will come down to what fits in my smallest travel bag, the Scott E1.

I have the xps 13, and my wife has the 15. I use mine for traveling and browsing, maybe some light adobe creative suite - she uses hers for data analysis. The 15 is as small as a 15in full featured laptop will get but still too big for me to travel with. I use an external monitor or two for real work though

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

If you are looking for a decent but not as spendy laptop, check out some of the AMD Ryzen CPU models out there. They are performing pretty close to or in some cases faster than the same higher end Intel laptop CPU's and are being sold for less than the equivalent and comparable Intel processors. AMD has come a long way again in battery life and faster low powered CPU's and Intel is struggling to meet demand with chip shortages and getting their next line of chips to catch up to AMD latest production.
    This...there’s an Acer I’ve been thinking about picking up. I have an old MacBook Pro that’s on its last legs and just can’t bring myself to get another Mac, even used or refurbished, since I don’t use a computer very often at home anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    HP Spectre 360. I have one; nice screen. Works fine.

Comparo: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lap...vs-dell-xps-13

Looking for a cheap laptop to use for basic work/school stuff. Under $500, maybe?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Newegg is having a hudge sale right now:

https://www.newegg.com/Laptops-Noteb...-223?Tid=17489
    Daniel Ortega eats here.