Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Explain smartwatches to me....

Whats the point of smart watches? Is anyone actually using these things? A step from smartphone to full on Dick Tracy do-all communicator?
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

It would be nice to not have to pull your phone out but other than that with a one day charge I don't see it. It's pain enough keeping a phone charged.

Only things that I see as an advantage to them- if you wear a watch anyways, it will add and extend some of the phone capabilities. Just like some things, it is a bit of a fashion item also. The Apple watch announcement mentions things like heart rate monitor. Fitbit and the like are catching on as extensions to fitness phone apps...

Will be interesting to see if Apple does succeed in selling the smart watches where Samsung and a few others had very limited success with their phone/ smart watch ventures.

Two words. Google glasses.

No. I can't.
    I still call it The Jake.

I assume this is aimed at Apple Watch. I am totally their target market. iPhone 6 / 2 Macs / 2 I pads & love watches and have a dozen of them and love gadgets and I have no interest in the Apple Watch.18 hours battery life😡 Not waterproof 😡. Basically extends your iPhone to your wrist. I bet Apple stock takes a hit on this

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    No. I can't.
    You don't want a 10K+ watch with same guts as the commoner's watches?

My sister uses one if the Google watches. Not sure which but she seems used to it and it's not to obtrusive. The fit didn't really work for women though and I think she's working on something that runs in android on the watch so she has to use it.

What's wrong with recharging a watch battery every 18 hours?

To me it's the same thing as wearing an ankle monitor. They are basicly the same thing.

I don't get why people feel the need to be reachable 24 hrs a day. Who hasn't gone to a party and seen people standing around peering at their phones updating their status, checking if anyone they know posted some dumb shit, I carry a cell for work purposes. The MOMENT I am off I am out of touch. Phone's off and I am out actually living my life.

I recently went back home for a family gathering. I have a dozen cousins between the ages 18-30.
    Each one of them had their faces glued to their phones. Making an attempt to catch up and have an engaging conversation with them was hilarious. Lots of mumbling while gazing into their phones.
    Yeah....uh huh....yeeeahh.....uh huh....

I backed the Pebble kickstarter. It's nice to decline calls and acknowledge notifications without messing with the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    What's wrong with recharging a watch battery every 18 hours?
    If you travel it is one more charger to bring . If you forget to charge it then no watch that day. Also $10,000 . No way. I was thinking $1000ish and still wouldn't get one. They will be on clearance for $400 in a few years when they can't sell them.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

it's like that reece's peanut butter cup commercial.
    chocolate. peanut butter. combined and confectioner's genius is the result.

smart phone. watch. watch my smart phoniness.

But it's an Apple. Buy it, assholes!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    If you travel it is one more charger to bring . If you forget to charge it then no watch that day. Also $10,000 . No way. I was thinking $1000ish and still wouldn't get one. They will be on clearance for $400 in a few years when they can't sell them.
    You do realize that they're selling a $350 version, right?

They're like watches, but smarter.

A few things I like:
    The not having your phone out during a meeting check of what's coming in
    Integration with fitness apps
    being able to start/stop apps like iTunes on a ride without digging out my phone.

What I don't like
    All the people glued to their smart devices 24-7.. now even more intense
    seems like 1st gen is good, not great yet....
    another charger.

I'd take one as a gift now.. but will totally consider the second gen.... I've been putting off getting a fitbit esque type of gadget anyway..

Still needing to carry my phone on a bike ride...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I use one at work. It's nice to see notifications discretely without taking out my phone. Sometimes I'm meeting with someone and I get a text. I just glance at my watch and if it's not important then nobody is the wiser.

The Sony SM3 is pretty cool though. Load your music onto it so that you can stream it to your bluetooth headset. Then go for a run and the integrated GPS syncs up with the runkeeper app to give you all your progress info without carrying a phone along.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

they're watches that're smarter than you

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You don't want a 10K+ watch with same guts as the commoner's watches?

My sister uses one if the Google watches. Not sure which but she seems used to it and it's not to obtrusive. The fit didn't really work for women though and I think she's working on something that runs in android on the watch so she has to use it.
    Not that I don't want to share tech per se

It's just that I don't get the appeal of them. I think I've made it known that I'm a watch slut and that through every watch thread here that there is no real rational basis for them to someone who isn't into them.

It's the same way with the smartwatch. It's ugly, cumbersome, has no cool mechanical movement and will eventually break, die, or become obsolete. I've got old dead watches that have only gone up in value. I doubt there'll be a rush for a 40 year old well-worn apple watch in the future like you can commonly find for the analog wrist wear.

To each his own though.
    I still call it The Jake.

who gives a shit about fitness apps? go exercise and stop when you're done.

also, you guys know that if you get a text or some other notification you don't have to check it immediately, right?
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

True, but WTF is the point in having a device that instantly relays messages to you but then waiting until later to look at them. Maybe we should just go back to sending important news via telegram or carrier pigeon.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/10/8182131...atch-huge-deal

When battery life with occasional use is around a week, I might get one. Or not.

Reminds me of:

Pawnbroker: Burnt my fingers, man.
    Louis: I beg your pardon?
    Pawnbroker: Man, that watch is so hot, it's smokin'.
    Louis: Hot? Do you mean to imply stolen?
    Pawnbroker: I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
    Louis: Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is the sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!
    Pawnbroker: You got a receipt?
    Louis: Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
    Pawnbroker: In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.
    Louis Winthorpe III: Just give me the money.
    Pawnbroker takes watch and gives Winthorpe a $50 bill
    Pawnbroker: A pleasure doing business with you.
    Winthorpe takes money, then looks at display case for another potential business transaction
    Louis Winthorpe III: How much for the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    True, but WTF is the point in having a device that instantly relays messages to you but then waiting until later to look at them. Maybe we should just go back to sending important news via telegram or carrier pigeon.
    so not only are you enslaved by your own gadgets, but you're grateful for it?
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.