Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Not really, axebiker. Since shipping prices have gotten more dimension-oriented, it's a helluva lot cheaper to break them up and ship in two boxes. The holes should have had some semblance of threads. A smear of epoxy and not over-tightening will work 99 outta 100 putting same screws in same holes.
    The shipping price is NOT the OP's problem, and the dismount wasn't suggested in the ad as he has repeatedly pointed out. Charge more for the shipping but don't dismount bindings unless you've discussed that with the buyer and they're cool with it. That wasn't the case here, clearly. He may have had "good intentions", but it was for his benefit, not the buyer's.

At the very least, poor form.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Having said that, I sympathize with the OP, because he's clearly a newbie, he screwed up the re"mount",

Cheers,
    Thom
    Huh? Pretty strong assumption, don'tcha think?
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post

Agreed. Maybe the op screwed it up, but the reason why you don't go around doing this unmount crap is this could be caused by a crap initial mount and the buyer, and probably the seller won't know until you try to remount and start spinning screws.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Epoxy and steel wool will still work, C. And it's fast and easy. Don't over-snug the screws, finish by hand. Give them at least 48 hrs to cure. Then, if you want, you can give them one more light snug twist.

The holes should have had some semblance of threads. A smear of epoxy and not over-tightening will work 99 outta 100 putting same screws in same holes.
    I would do this^^ except I use 1/2" cut up fibreglass threads and slow set epoxy and I've done it with 4 screw tele bindings where you are really stressing the mount, just run the screws in till they are about to spin and let the epoxy cure, crank the screws down after 48hrs. IMO if you can crank the screws down like you would the screws in an unstripped hole there is no difference .

sometimes screws rust/ loosen/strip on their own or from the initial mount which wasn't done right and very few people check their bindings regularly to see if the screws are tight

yeah the seller fucked you up but its likely easiest at this point to just fix the situation your self
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-12-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by -axebiker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    here is what a genius did to me on ebay, instead of shipping in a bigger box he took the bindings off....same bsl as me. he's willing to refund me $50, something a hack like me could fix? I have some steel wool and epoxy....was ready to go until I saw the skis today when they arrived. skis and bindings like new, only used a few days, look pivot 14 turntables, head rev 90 skis. home repair or head to shop?.
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    soooooooo, everything was going along fine, used a little epoxy in the holes. got to the back 2 screws on one of the heels - both holes stripped. how fukked am I? taking it to a shop at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

Having said that, I sympathize with the OP, because he's clearly a newbie, he screwed up the re"mount", and he wants to ski on skis and bindings he paid for. We've all been there. How many of us haven't learned about torquing down screws the hard way: the next step after really tight, is really loose

To the OP: you got good advice and this will all be fine

Cheers,
    Thom

I think it's more than a safe assumption (considering the first quoted post: "something a hack like me could fix?"), and knowing this can only result in better advice for him. Let's see, he was unclear about the mushrooming on the top skin, he stripped two screws in the remount, and was sketchy about how to recover general.

I repeat: none of this is a crime, but it does point toward him benefiting from the collective wisdom here, and as I said (in the part of my post that you snipped for brevity) - "we've all been there".

We have a lot of fun hazing people for being JONGs here, but I applaud the OP for reaching out for help.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-12-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

^^^thanks the advice here was great ....fixed the mushrooming on my own; no big deal shaving it. I don't get on why you keep insisting I stripped the holes though....I used a screwdriver....slowwwwly. those back 2 heel holes were already damaged. just thought this hack could save some dough if it was a simple enough task. at this point the skis are safe and sound at a very reputable shop I go to - I wasn't about to try helicoiling.

I mis-read ya man. "both holes were stripped". Hidden benefit: you now know that all the holes are solid ... something you wouldn't have known had the skis arrived mounted. Think about that, the next time you're on top of some gnarly pitch.

Now ... in retrospect ... isn't learning fun? Soon, you'll be scoring skis with swiss-cheese holes at bargain basement prices and getting them up and running. How does it get better than that

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-12-2015 at 10:56 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Second vote for the nylon tap-ins. Easy, cheap, and strong:

http://www.slidewright.com/nylon-tap...serts-10pk.php
    Third vote for the tap ins. I had some weak screws on a ski from a similar situation to the OP and nylon tapins fixed things right up. No problems in the season+ since.

Not gonna get into who's fault is it but come on. What have you been doing for 2000+ posts. Spending more time online than skiing? Going by the pictures, if you have to ask, I guess you're not qualified to do it, no matter how easy it is. This place has gone soft.
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

^^^working, enjoying my sons life, skiing, having fun....didn't realize I was supposed to learn how to be a ski tech as well. same goes for cycling...riding for ever but for the life of me still can't tune a derailleur perfectly. I leave it to experts like yourself for solid advice.