Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Carrying a second bottle (or bladder?) on a bike with one mount?

I just bought a .6L Platypus water bag today to augment the bottle on my bike. I'll put it in my jersey or bib pocket/and ski jacket pocket. I'll drink from the bag first, then just fold it up.
    Pearl Izumi has mtb liners with back pockets, as does Giro.
    Last edited by flowtron's ghost; 03-09-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Same boat with my 5010c. (and the other bikes) Most rides are with a pack, bit I get in plenty of 1.5-2 hour quickly rides where it just isn't needed. Dislike the under downtube option. Not anti-pack by any stretch, it's just nice to not wear for shorter rides.

Pound lotsa' water pre-ride. Make sure you're using a large bottle,obviously.
    I use a minimal oh shit bag for these rides. Goes on any of the bikes and is dropper friendly, at least for a Gravity Dropper and a Reverb.

In a 3x5 rip-stop zip pouch: a half dozen zip ties, 1.8" 26er spare tube, 2 small ti tire levers, 1 co2 cart. In a little Ziploc bad are: 2 quick links, a couple m4, m5, and m6 bolts to fit a couple random things.
    That pouch gets combined with a mini- pump that has the co2 head bits built in. A couple feet of Gorilla tape is wrapped about the pump body. All gets strapped under/behind the seat with an Awesome Strap. Light, minimal, very secure, doesn't bounce around or make noise. Enough junk to take care of most basic breakdowns. Just make sure things that need air are in their happy places before taking off.

Blackburn something tool with its chain tool, phone/keys/wallet/camera whatever get stuffed in pockets here and there. Sometimes a second bottle or beer in jersey pockets. Sometimes will stuff things in one of these as well. Hold a ton without feeling bulky or bouncy fits nicely under whatever shirt or jersey I'm wearing.

http://www.spibelt.com/products/spib...iginal-spibelt

Otherwise, my newest bag is an Osprey Raptor 6 as a new daily driver pack. Minimal size, 100oz bladder, and you can still cram a lot in there without it feeling bulky and unwieldy. I like having the smaller pack for non all day kinda stuff.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Yeah handlebar bag or bottle cage might make sense if a frame bag is out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I just bought a .6L Platypus water bag today to augment the bottle on my bike. I'll put it in my jersey or bib pocket/and ski jacket pocket. I'll drink from the bag first, then just fold it up.
    Pearl Izumi has mtb liners with back pockets, as does Giro.
    I tried that in my SWAT bibs. I hope you like your water piss-warm, because that's what you'll be getting.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I tried that in my SWAT bibs. I hope you like your water piss-warm, because that's what you'll be getting.
    Who doesn't?!

I'll have a cold bottle on the bike, and the bag water will probably be involved with early-ride-cottonmouth-management.

Does anyone make any shorts with a cucumber shaped bladder that goes along the inside of one leg? Like a colostomy bag, but you know........for sporty.

If you're going to bloat parts of your clothing, might as well make some lady friends.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Who doesn't?!

I'll have a cold bottle on the bike, and the bag water will probably be involved with early-ride-cottonmouth-management.
    And then for the emergency situations you can always wring out your chamois for some extra "bag water"

It's $35.....

http://dakine.com/p/backpacks-and-ge...t-laps-15l-15s

And does exactly what you want.

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Just you wait, fanny paks are gonna make a big come back.
    watch out for snakes

I've got this great idea.

Take and IV bag, fill it with water, then put it into a white tube sock and put that in your jersey back pocket. Run the line from the IV over your shoulder and clamp it with a clothspin.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    The anti hydration pack discussion has continued to baffle me. I like the pack.
    The anti anti hydration pack discussion is what baffles me. Also, people telling other people that they're opinion on whether or not to use a pack is wrong - that baffles me too.

I second the recommendations for the fanny pack type bottle carriers/cargo carriers if you're looking to carry an extra bottle. How many fucking tools do some of you need to carry that you need a backpack to carry them? I get a good multi-tool, tube, CO2, chain link, gu, clif bar, and chain tool in my Le Sportsac.

Fanny packs don't look any stupider than...
    1) Troy Lee clothing (especially those pants with the codpiece-looking crotch)
    2) Riding a $10k Santa Cruz and having no riding ability
    3) Carrying a headset press and repair stand in your camelbak
    4) Goggles with a halfshell
    5) Complaining that the leverage curve/shim stack/fork trail/buzzword of your choice on your bike is holding you back
    6) Spandex
    7) Your mom

Can you get sick drinkin piss?

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Just you wait, fanny paks are gonna make a big come back.
    Alright alright alright
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5691982

What if you filled the inside of the handlebar with water? Wider bars = longer rides.

You could look like this guy. or just wear a backpack.

Good move: maximum taint to nipple contact there. Left his actual braze-on mount free for the custom GoPro shock cam, too. Bonus.

Dropper lever on same side as shifter? Suspect.

+1 for Platypus soft bottles/bags, been using one for skiing several years now.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah! View Post
    3) Carrying a headset press and repair stand in your camelbak
    so I should stop bringing an engine hoist in case I run across some nimrod "4-wheeler" who needs one? thanks.

^ cool idea, though I've somehow ridden for few years with an ordinary bottle in my jersey pocket and it hasn't burst in to flames...yet.

The anti-anti-pack side of this "discussion" is weird and confusing to me. I don't like to ride with a pack. I don't care if someone else likes riding with a pack. Why does anyone care if I don't like riding with a pack?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I'd pack mine with M&M's, peanut for the protein of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    ^. Why does anyone care if I don't like riding with a pack?
    As long as you fix your own bike without shit you needed to carry in a pack (you carry it somehow?) no worries but if you don't have the basic tools/patches/spare tube/ pump cuz you chose not to wear a pack to put it in then you are depending on me if I am there, but if you are alone I don't care cuz if I don't know... it didn't happen
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Is that Duane "The Rock" Johnson in that fanny pack picture up there? ^^^