Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    huh right on, you don't happen to know the mount pattern of those offhand do you?

IIRC HR = bd helio200 so it would be samesies as what i'm plannin' on doing.

glad ur not ded btw
    Yes, same BD 200. Here's the template that I used: https://www.atkbindings.com/wp-conte...11/hr1_r01.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    Yes, same BD 200. Here's the template that I used: https://www.atkbindings.com/wp-conte...11/hr1_r01.pdf
    rad thanks so much for your help

glad i'm not gonna die here

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    rad thanks so much for your help

glad i'm not gonna die here
    I'm a good 30lbs heavier than you so should be good. It's a sweet setup, enjoy

I’ve never heard of a binding pulling out of a v werks ski but I’ve still followed the second-hand recommendations from a supposed volkl rep in the comments of a wild snow post. I can’t remember exactly the details (they’re easily google able) but I think it was that having a hole in the center is bad (dynafit style) and the holes should be at least 30mm apart on the toe and 45mm apart on the heel.

I’ve gone with raiders on two pairs because of that and ruled out haute routes, crests, etc. but again, it’s probably fine?

The narrow toes (crest, haute route, old raiders, trofeo, etc) are 2/3 inside the supposed H, 1/3 outside.
    The wide toes (new R12/FR14,etc) are 100% inside.

Mounted Alpinists first on my bmt 94s. Binding drove me nuts (high heel riser wouldn’t stay down, always went back to flat mode), remounted Salomon MTN. Just Gorilla Glue, no issues. Such an awesome ski imho!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sent this to tgapp but might as well post here as a wider reminder of the V-Werks construction.

Even within the (bullshit) H region, you'll find voids in the core when drilling. There's still enough meat to retain a screw, but def let the glue cure upside down. It'll have the best retention and will keep water out of the "extra-oxygenated" core.

Name:  i1Md3Gn.jpeg
Views: 1115
Size:  30.8 KB
    Last edited by Norseman; 12-03-2020 at 12:18 PM. Reason: formatting

^ Definitely found those channels while doing inserts. Put plenty of Gflex in there, cured upside down.

If I find the lotus 120 to be OK in the shittiest conditions, such as wind affected refrozen crust would the BMT94 be an improvement? The L120 has a lot of surface area that can catch bad snow. I want to stay with reverse camber, and something that does well in powder. The BMT 94 would replace my vectors that I find they have very hooky tails in dense powder and if I get too far forward to onload the tails the tips dive.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    If I find the lotus 120 to be OK in the shittiest conditions, such as wind affected refrozen crust would the BMT94 be an improvement? The L120 has a lot of surface area that can catch bad snow. I want to stay with reverse camber, and something that does well in powder. The BMT 94 would replace my vectors that I find they have very hooky tails in dense powder and if I get too far forward to onload the tails the tips dive.
    94 are very predictable in most conditions. Not good in all conditions, but predictable.
    Like all (?) lightweight skis they get knocked around when they meet rough snow sliding sideways, but that's part of the program

The L120 and BMT94 are both light, reverse chamber and carbon built. Specs wise the major difference is width. How does with alone impact getting knocked around?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I’ve skied my share of wind-affected refrozen crust with 176 bmt 94s and I’d say that they are user-friendly. I also used to have a pair of the 190 l120 spoons. I would have preferred the 184s but they were fun in big open pow fields and decently spaced glades. I find the bmt 94s a lot more forgiving and predictable but a good bit of that is the difference on length. But the (much) softer tail of the volkls also probably lends itself to easier maneuvering through shit snow. They also ski pow way better than you would expect a 94x176 ski.

The only thing I don’t like about that ski is the lack of camber in icy skin tracks, but that’s also why it skis everything so well.

I find the L120 very forgiving except trail gunning, and I really liked that about them.

One of the main reasons I am looking at other skis is that the L120 requires precise technique on solid off camber rain crust and other shitty uphill conditions. When everyone puts crampons on, I can't because vipecs don't have crampons that wide. I manage, but it's a lot of work. Sounds like the BMT is similar but at least I can use crampons.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

If you're powder focused, why not look at BMT 109? I have both and, while the 94 punches above its width, the 109 is a better pow ski. And fwiw, I went from the blue 120s to the 109 and really enjoy the added versatility and tourability (though really miss the 120s on big, open terrain).

Yeah I actually also have and love the 109s (186). More better in pow, but still has the other advantages you’re looking for (deals with shit snow well, fits crampons, etc).

I am finding the 186 BMT 94s very hard to ski. Sure they do ok in powder, but in tighter spaces those tails have a rabid hold. At speed they get thrown all over the place in anything but virgin pow. People seem to love these so I wonder if I should re-mount them +2-+3 from ~-2 that they are at right now or just pass them on.

I don't think I have ever heard that about the tails. Maybe check tune?

Regarding stability; yes - they are a relatively lightweight BC ski. They won't ski inbounds chop or backcountry sastrugi well, but when skied on their edges I feel they handle ok even on hard snow. They don't have a lot of suspension though, both due to lack of mass and lack of camber.

Both could also be that you're in the backseat. What bindings are you using? Dynafits with a lot of ramp, or?

Edit: yeah, absolutely remount to reccomended. They are pretty directional as is
    Last edited by sf; 01-03-2022 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    I am finding the 186 BMT 94s very hard to ski. Sure they do ok in powder, but in tighter spaces those tails have a rabid hold. At speed they get thrown all over the place in anything but virgin pow. People seem to love these so I wonder if I should re-mount them +2-+3 from ~-2 that they are at right now or just pass them on.
    If you're at -2, I'd move them to the line. I originally mounted mine at -1 and found I liked the line better. It made them a lot easier going and more predictable. Though, if it's the tails that are giving you problems, I'm not sure a forward mount will do much.

If you want to sell those skis send me a message, I have a friend who has been looking everywhere for some BMT 94 in 186

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Are you using a new to you tech binding?
    This screams binding delta issues to me.

I started off by detuning inside of the tip and tail contact points. I kept detuning to about a palm palms from the tip and tail contact point. They seem fine otherwise.

I am using vipecs which I been using since they came out with many other skis. Never had this issue.

I got the skis with jesters(wtf). I had to go in front or behind the line to mount the vipecs. I recently tried some skis with demo bindings and I find I like being in front of the line much more than behind.

Has anyone ridden both the 2015-2018 full rocker Mantra and the BMT94 - does the Mantra have the same magical agility as the BMT?

I own the 94's and have spent a little time on said mantras several years ago. That mantra is agile but it weighs a shit ton more than the 94's so all the tradeoffs (e.g. MUCH more damp + deflects way less vs. MUCH higher swing weight.......). That particular version of the mantra was tragically mis-marketed by volkl. Everyone wanted it to be like the older versions but in reality it was a skinny metal katana (not the vwerks, the previous metal version that everybody here loves so much). So, the best way to look at the reverse camber mantra is as a 100mm version of the metal katana, use it as such and you will be happy. Good enough on a groomer but dominating low tide, off piste ski. I'm still looking one of those reverse camber mantras in a 191.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    I own the 94's and have spent a little time on said mantras several years ago. That mantra is agile but it weighs a shit ton more than the 94's so all the tradeoffs (e.g. MUCH more damp + deflects way less vs. MUCH higher swing weight.......). That particular version of the mantra was tragically mis-marketed by volkl. Everyone wanted it to be like the older versions but in reality it was a skinny metal katana (not the vwerks, the previous metal version that everybody here loves so much). So, the best way to look at the reverse camber mantra is as a 100mm version of the metal katana, use it as such and you will be happy. Good enough on a groomer but dominating low tide, off piste ski. I'm still looking one of those reverse camber mantras in a 191.
    Found the ski you're looking for

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...type=top_picks

I’ve put more days on my 184 M4s this year than any of my inbounds quiver, just so smooth and predictable, on or off piste, no matter the conditions.