Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    I think they are the same thing.
    "Flat" is a term that I have seen ski manufactures apply to a ski model that doesn’t have bindings mounted to them.
    I thought the same thing, but both his links show without binders.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I thought the same thing, but both his links show without binders.
    Yup, I am thinking that its an input error by a site admin that might not have known any better (?).

Thanks guys, that might be it. At least it would explain the 3kg difference shipped weight. The price difference is the mounting fee I guess.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by meina222 View Post
    You'd see often times Kastles and Blizzards with missing chunks and chipped sidewalls, but these V-Werks seem to be constructed in a way that resists this kind of damage.
    Amen to this! Earlier this season, a buddy had a pair of Kastles get a huge slice from an edge cut - the flap was a few inches long and went through multiple layers. Hard not to grimace after how much those things cost. Not too worried about this for the BMTs, though. More worried about my tendency to ski through/over rocks, sticks, etc. (hard not to around here). But glad to hear you've had a good experience with your Katanas.

And regarding the "flat" - yes this in Europe means no bindings. Sometimes they say it. sometimes not.

As to the BMT's - they have been praised by multiple sources. I'd ski them with no worry if you like how they feel on snow. The Katana bases are exceptionally durable. I went over quite a few rocks in earlier this season in Breck and if these were the old Cochises that would be deep trenches or even core shots. Instead I only found minor scratches. Actually rather shocked how well they've held up. It must be different Ptex (hopefully same on BMT)

Had a few days on mine. Given the light weight, this is a fantastic ski on firmer snow. It skis way better than it should.
    Life is not lift served.

Anyone know how Wardens fit on the mount pattern? Plan on getting a pair of these and mounting em with Kingpins and Wardens for an east coast/early season ski.

Anyone...?

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backcountry-Skis-Reviews

The BMT is dam expensive and if the reviews can be believed then many other skis are almost as good but cost a lot less (uncluding the Völkl VTA88).
    One reviewer said the new Kästle TX90 was stiffer/more stable than the Fischer Hannibal 94 - anyone confirm this?

The Völkl 90 Eight is a lot heavier but offers similar performance to the BMT94 for a lower price.

http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/volkl-90eight-2016

http://offpistemag.com/editors-choice-skis-2017-1/
    Last edited by DB; 11-16-2016 at 07:37 PM.

I really want to get this ski as a spring time long tour ski as I have Wailer 112s for deep pow tours in the winter. It sucks that they would make a carbon ski that you have to mount heavy Kingpins on it? I was told by my ski shop guy that Ive skied with that the g3 ion 12s weren't a good binding for me as they wouldn't hold me well. I guess I will look at the wailer tour1 99's since I like the way my 112s ski. If I am going under 100mm ski then I want an ultra light setup.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

ski2B,

FWIW, my spring touring ski is a BMT 94 mounted with ion 12's and they have held me just fine......and I weigh 220 and no ejections yet. Just for shit's N giggles I took them to our local hill a couple weeks ago and ran them through about 18" of fairly heavy snow with a really soft base and they killed it. Hammered them right through the thickest stuff I could find. "Point and shoot!" As would be expected they didn't float on top but they didn't tip dive at all. Another good option you might consider is a Solomon Mtn Explore 95. Limited time on them but was very impressed. Should make a fantastic spring touring ski.

Quote Originally Posted by coz.teplitz View Post
    Amen to this! Earlier this season, a buddy had a pair of Kastles get a huge slice from an edge cut - the flap was a few inches long and went through multiple layers. Hard not to grimace after how much those things cost. Not too worried about this for the BMTs, though. More worried about my tendency to ski through/over rocks, sticks, etc. (hard not to around here). But glad to hear you've had a good experience with your Katanas.
    I've destroyed a bmt 122 sidewall. It was a good hit but a standard katana etc would've survived it.

They are however great skis and I think the BMT design is a good one. I've also done a few runs on the 94 and liked it. Unlike almost all skis that width these days, it doesn't pre select the turn shape for you (big + for steeps) yet still has good bit.

However like others have said, there's much cheaper options only a little heavier and also much lighter options around the same price (Movement x or alp trax series).
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    ski2B,

FWIW, my spring touring ski is a BMT 94 mounted with ion 12's and they have held me just fine......and I weigh 220 and no ejections yet. Just for shit's N giggles I took them to our local hill a couple weeks ago and ran them through about 18" of fairly heavy snow with a really soft base and they killed it. Hammered them right through the thickest stuff I could find. "Point and shoot!" As would be expected they didn't float on top but they didn't tip dive at all. Another good option you might consider is a Solomon Mtn Explore 95. Limited time on them but was very impressed. Should make a fantastic spring touring ski.
    Thanks,
    I am leaning towards these. As versatile as everyone says they are I am considering putting Kingpins on them and using them also as a one ski travel quiver where I could mix inbounds and touring though I may not be as thrilled on high vert touring days. First world problems for sure.

Really like mine. 186s with Ions. Tours and skis well, but I would not ski them inbounds due to ski weight. They do get bounced around

I have the BMT 109 mounted with MarkerFit swap plates.
    Between this season and last I probably have around 60 days on them, mostly inbounds and side country at Alpental, with a handful of touring days on top of that.

Generally speaking, I like them as a daily driver until things get firm and scraped off, at that point the Mantras come out.
    As SF mentions, they do get bounced around, there's very little in terms of damping and they are quite reactive.
    They do hold an edge well though and I have found them to be quite versatile and as long as the conditions are on the softer side.

From a durability standpoint, I've beat on mine pretty hard and aside from the usual handful of nicks and scratches they are holding up quite well.
    Bases seem hard, and i've taken a few hits from sharks in the Nash entrance, over all they've held up well.

Pulled the trigger on some today . I found last years model at 50% off. Probably going with the Kingpins. Will probably be 90 percent touring rig. Thanks for the feedback

After thinking about it I am going to go with the ION 12's as the whole reason for going for a thin carbon ski is for weight although the shop I buy from doesn't want to sell them to me. I read the Ion thread and lots of people seem to have problems with the heels but I will take my chances. They will probably only get around 10 days a year in the spring and summer anyhow.

I have ions, and had only one problem, the pin that held the risers slid out, they replaced the top of the heel binding.

Otherwise, solid. Skied it in bounds yesterday on frozen corduroy and they stayed on. Not so with my radical ft 12, which would pre release in the same conditions.

Ski2be: care to share where you got them at 50%? Me looking too

Last years model ( the black ones ) at Amazon through a vendor Ive never heard of (only had one pair ) . Saw them for $599 somewhere else but only 186 and 168cm . Just google search and they will come up

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    After thinking about it I am going to go with the ION 12's as the whole reason for going for a thin carbon ski is for weight although the shop I buy from doesn't want to sell them to me. I read the Ion thread and lots of people seem to have problems with the heels but I will take my chances. They will probably only get around 10 days a year in the spring and summer anyhow.
    Maybe consider the Dyna Speed Turn 2.0. Solid, simple, lwt binding that can be had for cheap.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Maybe consider the Dyna Speed Turn 2.0. Solid, simple, lwt binding that can be had for cheap.
    I have a pair of those but the hole pattern misses the H reinforced area on the Volkl

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    I have a pair of those but the hole pattern misses the H reinforced area on the Volkl
    Oh my bad! I thought it was the same as the Ion.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Hand flexed them in the shop and tail seems mighty stiff...anyone have a calibration to the praxis scale? "med/stiff" or #4 or stiffer?

Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post
    Hand flexed them in the shop and tail seems mighty stiff...anyone have a calibration to the praxis scale? "med/stiff" or #4 or stiffer?
    I find these full rocker skis you don't really ski the "tail stiffness" like a cambered ski would. In my Vwerks Katana, I never feel much of a ski beyond the mid body. Just ordered my BMT94, so will tell you more about that next week. Though I can't give you any praxis scale relativity