Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    on the inside or the outside? anything I do on the inside I can't see so i don't care how it looks

I figure people using ductape/tucktape on the outside don't really care how the piece looks after the fix ?

I have done repairs on rental drysuits without a backing just maskingtape and the AQS ... didn't look great but it worked
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Good job, looks ^^about right but does that mean you did that skinny bead on the outside with the matchstick?
    Yeah, I put the bead on the outside also. I have done smaller repairs inside only, but this one seemed like it warranted both sides due to size.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    See how the fix is a little lumpy on the inside, when I put saran wrap over top and roll it out with a bottle the backing/the outside material/ the AQS everything becomes a nice flat lamination, the saran keeps the AQS off your hands. just pull the saran off after 24hrs and if some sticks don't worry it will eventualy wear off

keep the tube in a jar in the freezer will make it last longer for fixing gloves/loose velrco patches whatever you can think of, 15min in a cup of boiling water the tube is thawed and more runny that room temp

I do this fix on a lot of drysuits along with replacing latex seals for cases of beer, its a waterproof fix and i have never had a repair fail
    That's great info, thanks! I've also done this with drytops and gaskets, but I think your method is much better than mine. I was joking about a link to the guide, but it sounds like you have the technique dialed and I'll try it next time.

Do you have any example pictures that you could upload?

Seth

I have fixed upwards of 60 dry tops (mostly seals) and drank all the beer but I really don't have any good samples of fixes on my own gear but here goes, more or less in chronological order the repairs of an arcterxy beta shell which incorprates things I learned from almost hitting trees

the 1st pict is a 5 inch tear on the R shoulder , in this case I used a large Canadian flag but the rip was so long i couldn't cover it all but the part you can see is typical of how most repairs will look if you do nothing to the outside and that rip is at least 5-9 yrs old

the 2nd pict is the inside of the jackrabbit patch covering a hole on the L shoulder happened about the same time as the Flag, you can see the piece of dryer anti static smeared with AQS, this was before I started using saran wrap over the AQS

3rd pict is a jackrabbit badge I never put anything on the outside but I find holes are often shoulder high where a patch would look good so try covering the hole with a patch cuz AQS is great for gluing patches onto Gortex, I didn't earn that badge actualy I stole it cuz I liked the colors

4th pict is fixing both the heatsealed pockets which unsealed themselves after > 10 years of service, I glued the parts shut and you can see the saran wrap, I held it together with a heavy weight ...both pockets are fixed completely, have stayed that way and look fine from the outside

I also got some small spark holes I fixed from the inside, the piece looks a little rough on the inside but its almot 15yrs old and still does the job
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	698.0 KB 
ID:	164901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	164902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	164903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	017.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	164904  

Tape is for emergencies. Goop lasts.

Honestly, I'd throw whatever on there for now to get yourself through the end of the season, and then see if micol will repair it for a reasonable fee. Nothing like having the manufacturer do the repair in terms of having it match and look nice, IMO. Patagucci and Dead Bird have done right by me on similar stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    It sounds as if your rip is small, and many of the other suggestions are appropriate.

Just in case however, I'm about to find out how good Rainy Pass (Washington State) is. According to their website (http://rainypass.com/), they do warranty work for some manufacturers.

They seemed to have their act together, so I decided to take a chance on a pants repair. Perhaps someone else can comment.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Follow-up ... my repaired Mammut pants arrived The repair is very nice, and the articulated knee patches are a durable, cordura-like fabric (very much like the scuff patches). The charge (including shipping) was a bit steep (~$120), but I can't complain about the workmanship, and the fact that the one item of clothing that I'm typically very easy on is pants made this repair worthwhile for me (they'll be in my quiver for a long time).

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Honestly, I'd throw whatever on there for now to get yourself through the end of the season, and then see if micol will repair it for a reasonable fee. Nothing like having the manufacturer do the repair in terms of having it match and look nice, IMO. Patagucci and Dead Bird have done right by me on similar stuff.
    I should point out that IME the goop ductape leaves can make one fuck of a mess on any thing people wanted me to fix

Unless it compromises replacing a dry suit seal I don't worry too much, if a garment cleans easy with acetone great, if it doesn't ... thats your problem.

its the start up of paddling season so suddenly everybody has a drysuit they need fixed in a big hurry and I'm awash in beer

We fixed a 1cm tear on a Marmot jacket with a patch kit from REI. Luckily the ripped area was black. I can't remember if we ironed it on or if it just stuck on. It was 5+ years ago and is still there. The patch material has faded differently than the jacket and is more visible now.