Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

car nerds - I need help

So my windshield wipers stopped working during last snowstorm. I wasn't driving car when it happened. You turn the wipers on, the wipers flicker and then nothing. This told me it was not the motor, but the wiper linkage assembly.

I removed the wiper motor and linkage assembly (some call it a transmission) to take a look at the linkage. I think I found the problem and popped one of the arms back in place. I was so happy it was an easy fix!

Not. I put the motor and linkage assembly back in car and turned the wipers on and...nothing. I think fuses. I tripled checked them all. Still nothing.

What the fruck?

Any help much appreciated. I am at the point of buying a new or reconditioned motor and maybe a new linkage assembly...you are my last hope, TGR!
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Maybe use your multimeter to see if you're getting power to the motor when the switch is turned on?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

PM either UglyMonkey or Austin, both car nerds extraordinaire.

Had beers with them last week at the Gallatin Riverhouse, entire conversation was "how do you change out the main shaft bearing on a Porsche". AxeBiker was there too, he & I had to limit our conversation to a debate on proper edge angle on 100 waisted skis.

Back on topic: vibes.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I usually start w/ the Google when I'm wrenching something oddball. Put in 2005 jeep Cherokee wiper motor (or lambo etc.). Often this the type of problem your describing is something that is common to a particular model or year. This provides a good starting point. If it yields no insight it's time to whip out the multimeter like Cruiser suggested or pm a smart maggot.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

car nerds - I need help

Are you driving the German Enigma Machine?

A VW

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Are you driving the German Enigma Machine?

A VW
    Hahaha! Yes.

2007 VW Passat

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Maybe use your multimeter to see if you're getting power to the motor when the switch is turned on?
    I thought about that, but didn't do it. Where do you put the electrodes? Anywhere on metal?

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Hahaha! Yes.

2007 VW Passat
    I don't have any advice just sounded like a VW to me.

Every time it rained hard my entire instrument panel would go out on my Touareg, no rpm, no mph, nothing. Repair shops couldn't ever find the problem. When I found out my wife was pregnant I got rid of it.

Good luck.

I thought about that, but didn't do it. Where do you put the electrodes? Anywhere on metal?
    I'd try to put the leads wherever the wires attach to the wiper motor. But I'm no v-dub mechanic.

FWIW there's a recall on the '06-'07 Passat wiper motor for excessive moisture entering the unit causing it to fail. Dunno if it effects you but it's probably worth looking into.
    http://repairpal.com/recall/06V470000
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

You have a ground fault somewhere. I'm not sure the ground wiring on your unit, since I don't even know the make/model of your car, but the motor could be set up to use the firewall as a ground, or there could be a separate ground lead going to wherever. Anyway, check your ground...that's what I would bet on. Make sure there is good, solid contact between the motor and firewall.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

It's a VW, it will start working fine tomorrow. And stop working next week. Then start 2 days later.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

That car show on NPR just addressed this in VW ' S but I don't remember the solution.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I don't have any advice just sounded like a VW to me.

Every time it rained hard my entire instrument panel would go out on my Touareg, no rpm, no mph, nothing. Repair shops couldn't ever find the problem. When I found out my wife was pregnant I got rid of it.

Good luck.
    The sunroof drain was clogged and dousing some fucking module under your passenger side floor boards.

No offense, but if you don't know where to test voltage on a motor, maybe this is something you should leave to the professionals.

Also, most wiper motors get constant voltage to them. The switch completes the ground side of the circuit. There is also a secondary ground inside the motor that makes contact any time the wipers are not in the parked position. This allows the wipers to return to the park position when the switch is turned off rather than just stopping wherever they happen to be.

Electrical problems in a VW? You don't say...

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    The sunroof drain was clogged and dousing some fucking module under your passenger side floor boards.
    I'm sure that was it. However drains ran fine when I tried to recreate it and dealership couldn't replicate. Probably gunked up. It was an 05 so starting to get pricey to keep it going. Loved that thing though, v8.

So the linkage was worn to the point of it popping out and you thought popping it back in would fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    My old car guy worked on a fleet of VW's. Love hate with them, easy money for him but they drove him nuts with the wet modules zapping all the time.

Don't know if this is the problem, but your exact model had a recall on it for the windshield wiper motor.
    http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2007/...assat/recalls/
    Personally, I'd start with that and see if you can get a free fix out of the dealership. If that doesn't work, then move on the next possibilities.

VWs are better to lease than own. You get to drive it while everything still works, they pay for routine maintenance and fix anything that breaks. And then they take it back about when the warranty is up and six months before everything will start to go to shit. Some poor slob ends up buying what seems like a great buy: clean, low mileage car. Caveat emptor.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    No offense, but if you don't know where to test voltage on a motor, maybe this is something you should leave to the professionals.
    QFT.

Hopefully R&R of the wiper motor doesn't require a socket wrench as the OP will probably think the wrench is broken because it 'spins the wrong way'.

car nerds - I need help

So my windshield wipers stopped working during last snowstorm. I wasn't driving car when it happened. You turn the wipers on, the wipers flicker and then nothing. This told me it was not the motor, but the wiper linkage assembly.

I removed the wiper motor and linkage assembly (some call it a transmission) to take a look at the linkage. I think I found the problem and popped one of the arms back in place. I was so happy it was an easy fix!

Not. I put the motor and linkage assembly back in car and turned the wipers on and...nothing. I think fuses. I tripled checked them all. Still nothing.

What the fruck?

Any help much appreciated. I am at the point of buying a new or reconditioned motor and maybe a new linkage assembly...you are my last hope, TGR!
    Do you have a habit of turning them on when they are frozen to the windshield? That strips the cheap plastic that molds to that little nipple that you stick them onto. I had that issue once, used duct tape to hold it over until parts store opened, put on new blades and fixed.

Edit: read a few posts and see you have a vw. Drive it off a cliff.

Edit2: or bridge into a lake. Or let the firemen light it up and practice saving people in seatbelts. Just a few thoughts

I remember I tried to just use the wipers to get a bunch of wet snow off the windshield. Damn near stripped 1 of them where the arm was bolted on. Tightened it down and it works fine.
    Idk, Sicks's comment made me think of that.
    It looks like there's a recall on the exact part you're having trouble with.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

You mention you checked the fuse. Did you check the relay as well?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

car nerds - I need help

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I remember I tried to just use the wipers to get a bunch of wet snow off the windshield. Damn near stripped 1 of them where the arm was bolted on. Tightened it down and it works fine.
    Idk, Sicks's comment made me think of that.
    It looks like there's a recall on the exact part you're having trouble with.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I'd try to put the leads wherever the wires attach to the wiper motor. But I'm no v-dub mechanic.

FWIW there's a recall on the '06-'07 Passat wiper motor for excessive moisture entering the unit causing it to fail. Dunno if it effects you but it's probably worth looking into.
    http://repairpal.com/recall/06V470000
    Duh on my part. Thanks. I tested it and it is good.

I checked that recall out and they offer a cover to the motor to keep moisture out...so no good for me.

I just purchased a reconditioned motor on ebay. I don't have time to be fucking around with this anymore. Next 4 days: rain/snow. Motor will get here on the 5th day.