Selle SMP - Aint worth it? Or taint worth it?

The Selle SMP come in a variety of models.
    (*Not to be confused will Selle SLR saddles*)

http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en/products/saddles

All the online reviews are very good. They don't have a flat or round backside lip which is a concern for mtb riding. The pressure relief is supposed to be very very good. I like the beak for steep climbs and not snagging shorts.

Do you?

Which ones work best for mountain biking?

Are they worth it?

Pro model. One of many.

Selle SMP - Aint worth it? Or taint worth it?

Get an old Flite or WTB saddle at a swap for $25-50 and be done with it. Get the one that fits your sit bones.

Ex:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/400871123975?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/251857420427?nav=SEARCH

Saddle reviews are fairly useless.

Go sit on it. If you like it, buy it.

That looks naughty.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    That looks naughty.
    Word. Just a little Chamois Butt'r and that crack would be better than some silicone mail-order devides

And if anything drips it will just lube the front chainrings.

buy what works, once you KNOW it works, buy 2 more as backup.

SLR fit my ass well, but that is NOT the case with everyone.

Yeah really the only way to shop for a saddle is to find a shop that has demos. I bought a new one for my road bike last year and spent over a month trying things out. You really need to get out for multiple long rides sometimes and not just ride around the block to figure out if it's any good for you.

It turned out that the one I thought I wanted was the least comfortable for me, and the one I ended up with was not even a consideration at first.

Seems to me that people who don't actually do a lot of riding and/or have a terrible fit are the ones that end up with weird gimmicky saddles.

I have an SMP on my road bike. The Drakon. I log a ton of miles on my road bike and it's the best saddle for that bike that I have ever owned....period. I've never had a saddle fit me so well, and I feel like it just disappears on a ride like it's not even there. Once I got it set up correctly, I was finally like "aha! THIS is what it's supposed to be like".

That being said, I have an amazing bike fitter near me who has an SMP demo program. So he's really well versed in setting them up correctly and I was able to try a bunch first. They are flying off of his shelves.

It fits me so well I will probably end up with one on my XC hardail MTB eventually. Not so sure about the trail bike though as I just don't spend as much time sitting and grinding away on that bike as the others.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Seems to me that people who don't actually do a lot of riding and/or have a terrible fit are the ones that end up with weird gimmicky saddles.
    I love my Chromag Trailmaster Ltd.. It rocks rocks rocks. To protect it from wear in the wet muddy winters here, I even concocted a parafin/mink wax formula that rubs on thick, gets into the leather and lasts longer than regular leather treatment.

Butt ... although the Chromag seat is surprisingly good, it has no gap for my man bits to fit into like the SMP.

And my jiggle wiggly goes phantom mode (numbness and tingles) when I wear my Troy Lee thigh/hip protector outfit. The extra gear makes my balls area a little over-padded. Which in turn seems to turn the seat into a blood pressure cuff for the nether regions.

It is a known fact that blood circulation to the man bits is paramount for trying skinnies, helicopters, long big air jumps, and debating Shirk on tgr

Blood flow begets trail flow. Flow baby! Babies also benefit from having less wound-up DNA.

Then I read that such numbness and tingling can lead to cyclists becoming more susceptible to problems down there - including but not limited to prostate cancer.

So ... I'm open to a new saddle and the Selle SMP look like a better option given their focus on quality and models for specific rider fit types: http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en/products/saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I have an SMP on my road bike. The Drakon. I log a ton of miles on my road bike and it's the best saddle for that bike that I have ever owned....period. I've never had a saddle fit me so well, and I feel like it just disappears on a ride like it's not even there. Once I got it set up correctly, I was finally like "aha! THIS is what it's supposed to be like".
    Would you use it on a mountain bike? (if you had long uphil slogs in your rides)
    Last edited by puregravity; 03-02-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post

Would you use it on a mountain bike? (if you had long uphil slogs in your rides)
    I would actually....On my XC hardtail bike where long climbs are more of the norm and I'm not riding the most technical terrain where I need to be off the back of the saddle constantly. But on my fun FS bike? (a 140 mm Trance)...probably not.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Just get this for $30 instead: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...and-WTB-Saddle

Try it, and if you don't like it, repost it.