Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Toyota Highlander.

I don't think there has ever been a thread for this particular car. So fuck it, we need another random car thread.

I've always wanted a midsize SUV. Currently, I am at a place where I thought I was going Subi Outback instead, but I'm starting to drift away. I went to Toyota yesterday. I started with a RAV4. I know its a small SUV. I felt like I was driving a plastic car with no personality, but got great gas mileage for an SUV. I then got into a used 13 Highlander with 30k miles. 6 cyl AWD. It actually drove really nice and was light years from that tin can Rav4. I know everyone here pretty much says get a 4Runner. However, I do commute about 65 miles round trip to work every day. So I'm thinking the Highlander is a bit cheaper in price and gets a bit better gas mileage than a 4Runner or a Tacoma. I understand its on an Avalon frame and not a truck frame. I don't think Im going to be doing much hard core off road. Mostly driving in snow and to ski resorts kinda shit.

So what say you? Anyone ever had a Highlander? As reliable as the 4 Runners? Will last to 200k miles and beyond? Worth the price of around 30 grand for one with 30k miles?

Some say its a grocery getter, but thats ok.

Get a Unimog, JONG !

#genericTGRreplytoallwhatcarshouldibuythreads
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I think they are well built like other Toyota, but, I don't really understand buying a suv that has the drawbacks of suvs, (high center of gravity, more weight, lackluster handling) without the benefits of a real suv (off road ability, low range, tow capability etc...)
    I get that you don't care about the off road capability, so why not go with a sporty wagon that can basically fit the same amount of stuff, but handles better? If you have to commute 65 mila day, might as well make them fun miles instead of vanilla miles.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Get a Unimog, JONG !

#genericTGRreplytoallwhatcarshouldibuythreads
    The name makes me feel like I would have to wear a thong like Sasha Baron Cohen while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I think they are well built like other Toyota, but, I don't really understand buying a suv that has the drawbacks of suvs, (high center of gravity, more weight, lackluster handling) without the benefits of a real suv (off road ability, low range, tow capability etc...)
    I get that you don't care about the off road capability, so why not go with a sporty wagon that can basically fit the same amount of stuff, but handles better? If you have to commute 65 mila day, might as well make them fun miles instead of vanilla miles.
    God Damn Fucking Logic.

Got a buddy who has had the hybird version since it came out. Hauls pretty well, he tows a pop up camper with it. Good mileage, he seems well pleased with it. Its comfy and if you are fine with the lesser off road capacity it would do fine. Toyota value and quality
    watch out for snakes

ANY car will last to 200,000 miles if you do proper maintenance and drive it moderately. Sometimes they will last FAR longer than that even if you abuse it the hell out of it. Some vehicles you just can't kill. My Series IIA is well over 500,000 miles now, after 28 years of ownership.. but I can't tell how much over because the speedo cable whatzit broke deep inside the tranny a few years ago and I don't want to dig around inside the tranny to fix it. When I give the engine and tranny their first EVER rebuild, I'll fix these things then.

The point is...sometimes you just get lucky with a vehicle, and you can never tell when that's going to happen. It sure helps having ruggedly simple parts and being built to fix anywhere, though!

When you find the right vehicle, you will know it...and you will KEEP it. I found mine 28 years ago, and would never consider selling it at any price. Now I'm just looking for a moderately priced 1960's aluminum-bodied old European roadster so I can take the paint off, polish and have a matching pair of polished aluminum vehicles. By the way, look up "polished aluminum land rover" on you tube...the one in parking lot is mine. The other video is one in the rover museum. It's shinier...too much polishing.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

If you have to commute 65 mila day, might as well make them fun miles instead of vanilla miles.
    I guess if your commute is 65 miles on a windy road this might make sense. 65 miles on a freeway? Who cares what you are driving? More about how comfortable the seat is at that point.

I'm only commuting ~30 miles per day and there is no way I would consider a 30k SUV that is getting 20/25 mpg.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Yep that is why I drive an AWD 300hp V70R. I am waiting for the AWD Golf Wagon to come to the USA in 2016. If it really does have a diesel engine that gets 40+ mpg I want it so I can use it a s a DD and use the R as my 2nd caR when I want to drive something fun with some get up and go.
    Does BMW offer the new AWD 535 wagon in the USA? That would be a sweet car too.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Liv2ski gets it.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Yep that is why I drive an AWD 300hp V70R. I am waiting for the AWD Golf Wagon to come to the USA in 2016. If it really does have a diesel engine that gets 40+ mpg I want it so I can use it a s a DD and use the R as my 2nd caR when I want to drive something fun with some get up and go.
    Does BMW offer the new AWD 535 wagon in the USA? That would be a sweet car too.
    I thought the 5 series wagon was dead in the us in favor of that fugly gt thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I thought the 5 series wagon was dead in the us in favor of that fugly gt thing.
    Yep, I looked at the BMW site and no 535 wagon the new body style. There all always Audi wagons, but being a Volvo wagon guy (I have had 4) the guys over on SwedeSpeed like the XC70 T6 a lot too if you want a newer wagon with some get up and go with AWD. Fucking Auto trader will not let me copy and paste links.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Just got a certified used highlander. Love it. Way more room than a wagon (also have an XC70), quiet and comfortable ride. Coming from a sienna, which I loved for all the space, but got sick of dealing with sliding door issues.

Here's why I love it over a wagon: seats 7. We love it for skiing, camping, winter driving. But for our daily stuff, it is also great for hauling 2 extra kids. We have two kids and they always seem to have a friend or two along. And we like it better than the Sienna.

I'd go with a slightly larger AWD version of what you have now, Labcabin. VW Jetta Sportwagon is a decent vehicle for what you're considering. Otherwise do what I did and buy a used E350 4Matic wagon for $30k and drive it (boringly) forever. *sigh*

Toyota Highlander.

The only real AWD wagons seem to be the Outback...... All Road (I'm not that rich). Jetta wagon was nice. The AWD version doesn't come out till this fall. They are going to rename it the Golf wagon also.

Tipp does the E350 come in a wagon? I see some affordable sedans.

Wait, are you telling me Mercedes won't break down and cost me my left arm?
    Last edited by Labcabin; 03-01-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Wife has the 2013 highlander and loves it. I like it a lot too. V6 obviously. For what your looking for its perfect.

Although I've put 100k on a used E series 4matic be careful going down that road. The late 90-early 00 were bomber. The next gen 350s had serious engine issues, fixed after 06 I think. Are the newer ones as good as the W210s? I don't know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1425259872.662681.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	164696

Use it for camping and road trips too. Holds a lot of shit. Comfy ride

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    Tipp does the E350 come in a wagon? I see some affordable sedans.
    Dude. You've been in my car.

Wait, are you telling me Mercedes won't break down and cost me my left arm?
    All depends. Yes the maintenance costs more when you need it, but you need it less, so it's a wash IMHO. Also (Paging 4Matic) the motor and drive train last for fucking ever if you treat them right.

Here's a 125K 4Matic E320 for $5k: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...903329604.html. That's a shitload less than $30K and I bet you the car will last you as long as that Highlander despite the mileage (you're more likely to get sick of either one in 5 years anyway) and be cheaper in the end.

Nobody buys a 10 year car anymore unless it's a collectable. The above example is a $5k investment vs. $30k. It has as much room, comparable gas mileage, is more comfortable over long distances, and will probably only cost you an extra $5k in maintenance over the same ownership span. You're actually saving money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Nobody buys a 10 year car anymore unless it's a collectable.
    Once again, I'm doing everything wrong. Fucking TGR.

Dude - I'm all about buying a car and driving it into the ground, but you and I are anomalies that way. I also know that Labcabin has a lovely Volvo that he's owned for what - 4 years? Clearly he's sick of it already and is looking for his next ride.

Shit, my Brother & Sister-in-law have had at least 1 car payment constantly for going on 20 years now - 2 for the last 15 at least. I don't get it either. They by a new car and then as soon as it's paid off in 3 years get another new car.

VW Touareg TDI. 32 mpg highway with no roof box or ski rack, 29-30 with a Yakima Skybox on top. Tons of room (fits this family of 4 plus a four legged furbeast), 400 lb-foot of torque available at low RPMs, tows 7,700 pounds. It's actually fun to drive (did I mention the torque?), and handles really well in snow. 26 gallon gas tank means you can go 700 miles before hitting the pump again (although it's $100 when you do).

Not sure what the 2012 model year is selling for now used, but new they weren't terrible three years ago (they are $$$ now).

Downside is it shares a lot of parts with the Q7 and Cayenne, so when something needs to be replaced, I hear it can get spendy.

Toyota Highlander.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Dude - I'm all about buying a car and driving it into the ground, but you and I are anomalies that way. I also know that Labcabin has a lovely Volvo that he's owned for what - 4 years? Clearly he's sick of it already and is looking for his next ride.

Shit, my Brother & Sister-in-law have had at least 1 car payment constantly for going on 20 years now - 2 for the last 15 at least. I don't get it either. They by a new car and then as soon as it's paid off in 3 years get another new car.
    7 years. 142k miles and the trany is clunking huge as it downshifts.

Actually I'm not sick of its performance and handling. It's that in the past year it has sucked me for close to 9 grand and I don't get the vibe it's done munching on my wallet. Engine light is on now.

We've had a bunch of Subarus and love our current Highlander. It's roomy, comfortable, economical, reliable, and just plain works. In today's market I'd consider the Outback Wagon, Highlander, or 4-Runner, depending on what you need. We found the Highlander the best compromise - tons of interior space, great poor weather ability, and cheap to run. We don't need the 4-Runner's off-road ability so didn't take the price or fuel economy hit. I've had great luck with Subarus, but HATE our local dealers. They mark up their parts prices 2-3x MSRP, charge outrageous labour rates, and also add $3K in "fees" to the sticker price. No thanks.