Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Dude. You've been in my car.

All depends. Yes the maintenance costs more when you need it, but you need it less, so it's a wash IMHO. Also (Paging 4Matic) the motor and drive train last for fucking ever if you treat them right.

Here's a 125K 4Matic E320 for $5k: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...903329604.html. That's a shitload less than $30K and I bet you the car will last you as long as that Highlander despite the mileage (you're more likely to get sick of either one in 5 years anyway) and be cheaper in the end.

Nobody buys a 10 year car anymore unless it's a collectable. The above example is a $5k investment vs. $30k. It has as much room, comparable gas mileage, is more comfortable over long distances, and will probably only cost you an extra $5k in maintenance over the same ownership span. You're actually saving money in the long run.
    I am very fond of Mercedes wagons. Growing up, most of my aunts and uncles had one...and while we are a Chrysler family, my dad finally acquiesced and got one for my mom to use...although I think he hated the few times he had to take it to the Chrysler parking lot (this was long before the partnership of Chrysler and Mercedes Benz - DaimlerChrysler). We had a sweet white one with tan leather interior that was sure a lot better made than company car wagons she normally had to drive. She actually drove it for nearly 20 years she liked it so much, and then replaced it with a new one.

But if you're going to get a Mercedes wagon, at least get one that looks like a Mercedes. I don't like what they've done to the styling of the new ones. Here is one similar to my mom's "new" one: Same color, too. Now even this "new", one is close to 20 years old too, but still looks brand new...she says she isn't replacing this one...lol...like mother like son, I guess!!

"The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Here's a 125K 4Matic E320 for $5k: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...903329604.html.
    That car has a salvage title, no wonder its so cheap.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    The name makes me feel like I would have to wear a thong like Sasha Baron Cohen while driving.
    And yet.. you like it?

I drive an 08 highlander, had an 04 too. It's fine. Nothing to write home about.. handles pretty much as expected. Its not super fun to drive, but its comfy, holds my kids and dogs and ski gear, and gets me where i need to go.

All wheel drive sucks compared to a real 4wd, but.. that's what ya get.

Suprisingly the down-hill assist thingy actually works on sketchy icy drive way decents.. individually brakes each wheel and keeps me going the direction I tell it to go.

It's a toyota. My '08 has 140k on it and drives just fine. Just had to replace a caliper in the rear, but as I understand it that's fairly common for these.

My dad has a Highlander and he loves it. Super reliable, holds all his ski stuff, and he's put 130k trouble free miles so far. My wife drives a Infiniti FX35 and that's a fantastic car. Drives like a supercar but we can take the kids away for the weekend. A little limited on storage but would be fun as hell on your commute.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Those of you with Highlanders, can you give me an honest assessment on gas mileage?

In laws have a 2011 (I think) highlander. It's a nice ride for sure. They average 24 mpg in mixed driving. I can't say that it would be my first choice but it's a pleasant car to drive with a nicely fitted cabin and sufficient pep in the passing lane.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Get an Outback. Spend the next 5 years putting away about $3k so that you'll be ready for when the head gasket blows. Total money spent after the cursory repairs will still be less than the Toyota. You'll have a car with the same amount of room inside that drives a ton better.

We have a 2006 Hybrid that has 120k miles on it. We bought it with 20k in 2007. Had a recall on the steering and no other issues besides.

We get 23-28mpg in it, depending on how we drive. It's not as efficient as the newer hybrids...I think this was the first year and Toyota slapped the hybrid system on top of an existing Highlander, then designed from ground up in later versions.

We're happy with hit. Went from an Outback and got a bigger car with slightly better gas mileage. But we also moved from Utah to South Florida so the driving's pretty easy.

Have you looked at the 2015 Forester? Just got one as a loaner car from a dealer while our jeep is in the shop. I've been really impressed. Its been getting 28mpg in town and 35-37 mpg on the highway. Far nicer car than our 2010 Forester too.

I had a 2001 Highlander aka Camry-in-a-box for 11 years/140K miles. Okay car, nothing special, around 20mpg mixed, reliable, typical Toyota semi-mushy handling. Okay ski car but not great ski car cuz Toyota AWD sucks compared to Subie. We sold it and Anita's car, replaced them with a 2012 Impreza and high-mpg 2WD hybrid. I like the Subie betta than the Highlander.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Get an Outback. Spend the next 5 years putting away about $3k so that you'll be ready for when the head gasket blows. Total money spent after the cursory repairs will still be less than the Toyota. You'll have a car with the same amount of room inside that drives a ton better.
    Or get the Turbo model and don't worry about head gasket repairs.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

AWD Diesel wagon:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...n/default.aspx

I didn't realize these existed until I saw one the other day. Nice looking car, but what stood out to me the most was how big it is. I thought it was a 5 series from a distance.

VW says a lot of stuff. AWD Sportwagen will most likely happen, though we'll see if they can hit the 2016 projection. The Holy Grail (AWD/TDI/Wagon/*)...I'll believe it when I see it.

* I left standard transmission out for a reason. That shit's never gonna happen.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Okay ski car but not great ski car cuz Toyota AWD sucks compared to Subie.
    QFT!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    Those of you with Highlanders, can you give me an honest assessment on gas mileage?
    19-22 city suburb traffic driving.

26-28 max highway on road trips.

This is 2013 V6.

All depends. Yes the maintenance costs more when you need it, but you need it less, so it's a wash IMHO.
    Less than what? I've never seen anyone argue that German cars are cheap/easy to maintain, long haul or otherwise. I've owned my share, and completely get the appeal, but in my experience, they're reliable if you're willing to put in the work and maintain them the way they need to be maintained.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Had a Subaru Outback, switched it out in 2010 for an '08 Highlander (base model AWD). Highlander holds more (7 seats is nice) and is much nicer to drive - smoother, more powerful. Great highway cruiser. 24 mpg seems about right. Also great in the snow with good snow tires - I've done many 8-hour drives in blizzards on I-70 and I-80 in Colorado/Wyoming/Utah and always felt confident while other cars seemed to be struggling with traction around me. Not an offroad machine, but it can handle the occasional rocky and rutted dirt road (a few miles to get to a campsite, for example) and that's really all I need. I'd get another. Would also consider the Honda Pilot - that seems to be the alternative that everyone considers where I live (Front Range of CO).
    Last edited by Pegleg; 03-02-2015 at 10:48 AM.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

only in TGRland are German cars as reliable and inexpensive to maintain/repair as Honda/Toyota

We traded in our Outback for a 2015 Highlander. Nice very practical car for us. They drive better and have better quality feel than most people think. They are big though. New ones are either 7 or 8 passenger. We went with the 7 with bucket seats for the kids and a 3 person bench in back. Can tow 5,000 pounds and gets above 25 on highway. Handles speed much better than our old outback, but then again, it is newer, bigger, heavier and has 100 extra horsepower.

Any particular questions, feel free to ask. We looked at most things available, at least on paper. Was really between this and a minivan for us, which is what I think they are most comparable to. Inside square footage is very minivan like, but the minivans have more cubic feet. We are happy, but we only have 10,000 miles and one winter roadtrip with it.

Was much nicer than the Pilot, in my opinion, but a completely new and updated Pilot just came out or is coming out, and should be worth a look too.
    Last edited by alembical; 03-02-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Love love love love my highlander.

Never have had a problem with it. Just hit 100,000 miles, still runs like a champ. Awesome car . I drive it up I 70 to summit county at least once a week and can cruise at 80 mph the whole way up, even on the really steep sections. Handles like a champ in the snow... Worth getting the awd

Someone posted a picture of a highlander at a campsite in this thread- all I see is boobs.

Prius with snows and a box? Unless you need the clearance...

08 V6 Highlander averages about 18 mpg mixed city/rush hour highway driving.

Sounds like the newer ones are doing a little better, and obviously the hybrid helps..

Pulled this Highlander review from the Mid East.

"Sure the Toyota Hilux is my go to vehicle for raiding a village, excellent capability and the machine gun turret fits my teams .50 cal perfect, runnin and gunnin id pick no other truck. But when it comes to transporting my 3 wives, 2 slaves, and 2 kids to a local beheading nothing works better than the Highlander, I'll be driving this to the apocalypse no doubt"

- Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi
    ISIS Fighter.

We have a Forester and a Highlander in the family right now. Can't speak to the newest Gen 3 Highlander as it has a new AWD system, but the full-time 50:50 system in our Highlander is very, very close in terms of ability compared to the Subaru. The sheer size of the Highlander (700lbs heavier) and higher center of gravity contribute to a different feel, but on terms of traction and ability, the HL is very capable on bad roads. All our winter use vehicles are equipped with snow tires, of course.

The Forester is more fun to drive for sure. Lower center of gravity (boxers rock!) and lighter weight combined with smaller overall size make it more nimble. But for sheer utility, the Highlander's extra size wins hands-down.