Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Glad to hear Toyota's AWD has improved. My 2001 Highlander AWD was manifestly inferior to Subie AWD creeping up icy roads, e.g., road to Alpy Lot 4

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    7 years. 142k miles and the trany is clunking huge as it downshifts.

Actually I'm not sick of its performance and handling. It's that in the past year it has sucked me for close to 9 grand and I don't get the vibe it's done munching on my wallet. Engine light is on now.
    Damn dude - time flies. Yeah, sounds like it's gotta go.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    That car has a salvage title, no wonder its so cheap.
    Huh - didn't really look closely at the listing.

The issue with Volvo AT's is that Volvo does not tell customers to change the AT fluid every 40k. Consequently, the AT's which are not the best anyways, can have problems down the road. It also seems like Volvo AT's are always needing a software update to try and fix the shitty software they come with. Definitely the weak link in those cars IMO. My MT at 145k is perfect, so fuck AT's.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Have you looked at the 2015 Forester? Just got one as a loaner car from a dealer while our jeep is in the shop. I've been really impressed. Its been getting 28mpg in town and 35-37 mpg on the highway. Far nicer car than our 2010 Forester too.
    Don't you need to be a lesbian to drive one? Not like it's a law jus what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by xcboard View Post
    Someone posted a picture of a highlander at a campsite in this thread- all I see is boobs.

Prius with snows and a box? Unless you need the clearance...
    There was a highlander in there? All I saw was the boobs too. And something in the background. Nice boobs though.

That's all I have. I am on my 2nd Explorer - a '94. First one went to 375K and still runs but tranny is done. This one is at 195K and going strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Probably ought to disclose this here, since it's apparently not an uncommon issue with Highlanders. I still love mine, but it's hurting to shell out $2K on it right now.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...n-repair-costs
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

We just bought a 2008 Highlander. Anyone have issue with dash lights? Specifically, VSC light?
    I read that if you get a new gas cap, it goes off.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
    Don't you need to be a lesbian to drive one? Not like it's a law jus what I heard.
    Haven't Lesbians moved onto Toyota Prius? The new Forester seems to have a bit more panache - while the last few generations were a bit more in the Labrador owning flat-top haircut camp, perhaps this one is more for lipstick lesbians who would be a big hit in the Special Collection thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    We just bought a 2008 Highlander. Anyone have issue with dash lights? Specifically, VSC light?
    This happened on our 4 runner and it was the O2 sensors. You get a check engine light and Toyota disables the vsc to protect the drivetrain. Weird but true. Pull the codes at an auto zone or advanced etc for free. Ignore vsc light and fix whatever is throwing the check engine light...which will then turn the vsc light off.

In some cases a faulty fuel cap is throwing the cel so what you heard is correct sometimes.

My 07 pilot handles great On plowed roads and up to 12 inches of fresh, never a problem with decent tires. I will replace it with another pilot or highlander. Just remember suv's like the highlander and pilot are not meant for genuine off road use. I tweaked my suspension and needed repairs after some minor off roading. my discovery before that was a beast in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    This happened on our 4 runner and it was the O2 sensors. You get a check engine light and Toyota disables the vsc to protect the drivetrain. Weird but true. Pull the codes at an auto zone or advanced etc for free. Ignore vsc light and fix whatever is throwing the check engine light...which will then turn the vsc light off.

In some cases a faulty fuel cap is throwing the cel so what you heard is correct sometimes.
    So we bought the car and 2 days later these lights go off. I tell the GF to bring it back there and read them the riot act. They tell her it's the catalytic converter. Thoughts?

Thoughts? I think catalytic converters are expensive to replace. But hopefully that's all you need to do to it to get it running tip top.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

So we bought the car and 2 days later these lights go off. I tell the GF to bring it back there and read them the riot act. They tell her it's the catalytic converter. Thoughts?
    The downstream O2 sensor might be throwing a code leading them to believe your cats are bad? How many miles on this car? You need to find out what codes are being thrown. Free at auto parts stores. If it is just the O2 sensor they are relatively cheap and an easy diy. Cats not so much. If the O2 sensor is throwing a code I'd be inclined to replace that rather than the cats to see if the problem goes away.

The downstream O2 sensor might be throwing a code leading them to believe your cats are bad? How many miles on this car? You need to find out what codes are being thrown. Free at auto parts stores. If it is just the O2 sensor they are relatively cheap and an easy diy. Cats not so much. If the O2 sensor is throwing a code I'd be inclined to replace that rather than the cats to see if the problem goes away.
    My buddy has a code reader he will give me...as soon as I get that, I will go to town.

105k miles.

Get a *good* scan tool - like bringing it to a Toyota dealer and using the Techstream factory scanner - and see if the codes were cleared recently.

Sounds suspicious that the car triggered several fault codes shortly after buying it - which would happen if someone tried to cover up the faults by clearing the codes, immediately before selling it to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I've been using one of these in conjunction with the TorquePro app for a couple of years now to read and clear codes on various vehicles we've owned. I have nothing but good things to say about the combo.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Get a *good* scan tool - like bringing it to a Toyota dealer and using the Techstream factory scanner - and see if the codes were cleared recently.

Sounds suspicious that the car triggered several fault codes shortly after buying it - which would happen if someone tried to cover up the faults by clearing the codes, immediately before selling it to you.
    Surely good advice but keep in mind that when you trigger one engine code Toyota disables the VSC which triggers that light making it seem like you have multiple faults/ but you generally do not. I solved the vsc/check engine light problem with a simple code reader and two new (front) O2 sensors which is a different game than the downstream post cat sensor. 02 sensors are kind of wear items anyway (at 105k especially) thus my advice to change them out before replacing the cats. Rockauto.com and google so you get OEM brand (our 4-Runner uses Denso). Of course code p0420 could also mean you have a bad motor that is filling the cats with oil but since this isn't a Subaru I think we all know that is unlikely. I just found this on google but it is a good little read about p0420 which is the code they likely found and can be one of the most frustrating codes to get.

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...yota-p0420-dtc

These scary dash lights could in fact be why the person traded the car in so leaning on the seller seems like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I've been using one of these in conjunction with the TorquePro app for a couple of years now to read and clear codes on various vehicles we've owned. I have nothing but good things to say about the combo.
    Does that plug in directly or would I need the cable also shown for sale on Amazon?

It plugs directly into the obd2 port and transmits info to your phone via Bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    It plugs directly into the obd2 port and transmits info to your phone via Bluetooth.
    That looks pretty sweet for Android users. Putting it in my cart and will order pending research. Everyone with a Subaru needs one of these things!

In conjunction with the torque app it allows you to do a fair amount of real time engine sensor monitoring in addition to reading and clearing codes. I get a kick out of seeing the various sensor readings in my big diesel when I'm out on a road trip or heading up to ski on a really cold day.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You get a 1000 mile 30 day warranty on the powertrain, but other than that, I am fucked. Needless to say, I will not be giving that particular dealer any more bidness. I am pissed. Shady.

You get a 1000 mile 30 day warranty on the powertrain, but other than that, I am fucked. Needless to say, I will not be giving that particular dealer any more bidness. I am pissed. Shady.
    Did you ask the dealer? This happened to me once a few days after I bought a used car and the dealer took care of it, forget what it was.

That looks pretty sweet for Android users. Putting it in my cart and will order pending research. Everyone with a Subaru needs one of these things!
    I have the same setup as Cruiser that you're looking at. Definitely sweet. Haven't used it lately as our new 4R (16,xxx) and older Civic are running super well. Bought it to diagnose a CEL on my XJ before I sold it to my mechanic brother for cheap because the cylinder misfire was too expensive to bother with. Nice reminder that I should pull it out and play with it again. There are some new ones coming off Kickstarter that will let you do diagnostics, and also let you do things like remote start, remote unlock, remap your fuel ratios, etc., all from your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Bump for more opinions on this.

The tire pressure sensor light in my '08 is continuously on regardless of actual pressure, but that's the only issue I have had with the dash..