Fucking offset bushings... how do they work?!

Read a couple threads online, and think I have a pretty good grip on how they work. Wondering if anyone has ever used them, and what you thought?

I have a Mojo HDR. I put a works headset in to slack it out a deg. It sits at 66 now. Which I like. It raised the bb to ~14in, which I don't like.

I'm thinking about getting some Burgtech offset bushings for one side of the shock (Vivid Air), and trying to gauge the potential outcome. I would expect it would drop the bb maybe ~.2, slack it out another 1/2 degree, and cause it to ride a bit further into the anti-squat? Realistic?

I run a 32 tooth chainring, so the anti-squat should be about "optimal" now. Will I notice much of a change in the pedaling platform? This bike goes on some big rides, so I don't want to jack with that too much. Obviously it will blow through its travel a bit more, too, since it's going to be further into it.

In folks experience, are they a good way to change angles without impacting the suspension platform too much? Or are the drawbacks not worth it?

Any feedback appreciated!

They're pretty cheap. Can't hurt to try.
    I'm guessing your works components headset is not a flush cup for the bottom cup so it jacks the front and thus the bb a bit. They also make flush cup headsets in various degrees if your head tube is atleast tapered. Slacken in your bike with a flush cup works headset will lower your bb slightly from stock. Obviously a fair bit cheaper to buy offset bushing but maybe you can offload your existing works hs to "offset" the price, if I ubderstand this

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    They're pretty cheap. Can't hurt to try.
    I'm guessing your works components headset is not a flush cup for the bottom cup so it jacks the front and thus the bb a bit. They also make flush cup headsets in various degrees if your head tube is atleast tapered. Slacken in your bike with a flush cup works headset will lower your bb slightly from stock. Obviously a fair bit cheaper to buy offset bushing but maybe you can offload your existing works hs to "offset" the price, if I ubderstand this
    For sure, just figured I would see if anyone has been here before.

The way I read the works site, I couldn't use a ZS49 because I have a tapered steerer tube. Only the EC49, which yeah, raised the BB.

If Cane Creek makes a ZS that would work, I would still be leery simply because of how much I have heard about the creaking.

I've used them. They work. You won't notice anything weird on that bike.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

http://www.offsetbushings.com/

I ordered from these guys for my Tallboy LTc, they work, i couldn't run mine fully low/slack because the rear shock hit the link. Cheap enough, i think they were $40.00 shipped from the UK and i had them in 2-3 weeks
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Hey Guys,

Jeron from OffsetBushings.com here.

We've sent thousands of Offset Bushings around the world over the last few years. We offer standard and tracked postage.
    For a pair including standard postage to the US is £25GBP or $38.42 at the time of writing.

They have been very popular for the Mojo HDR in fact - they use a 22x8/40x8 set of bushings. 8mm allowing up to a 1 degree head angle change and 6mm allowing up to 1.5 degrees of adjustment.

If anyone has any questions, please get in touch through our website. It'll be the fastest way of getting hold of us.

Cheers!

Jeron

Boom. That's pretty good. Do you ever shorten your name to Jer?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Boom. That's pretty good. Do you ever shorten your name to Jer?
    Can't say I do. It's short enough as it is!

Do you ever shorten your name to Jer?

Quote Originally Posted by offsetbushings View Post
    They have been very popular for the Mojo HDR in fact - they use a 22x8/40x8 set of bushings. 8mm allowing up to a 1 degree head angle change and 6mm allowing up to 1.5 degrees of adjustment.
    Jeron
    Thanks Jeron, any idea what a -1deg setup does to drop the bb?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I've used them. They work. You won't notice anything weird on that bike.
    Sweet-

For a pair of 8mm bolts, allowing a 1 degree head angle adjustment. You’re looking at around 7mm or so off the BB on average.

Hope that helps!

Jeron

Maybe I'm not thinking about this in the right way, but doesn't installing offset bushing shorten a shock's eye-to-eye mounting, thereby pre-compressing the shock and in turn very slightly limiting the amount of travel? Is that just the compromise that must be accepted if you can't or don't want to run an angleset up front?

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Maybe I'm not thinking about this in the right way, but doesn't installing offset bushing shorten a shock's eye-to-eye mounting, thereby pre-compressing the shock and in turn very slightly limiting the amount of travel? Is that just the compromise that must be accepted if you can't or don't want to run an angleset up front?
    no, you are confusing yourself...
    the shock stays the same, its the frame that changes its mounting locations
    the shock goes through the same stroke
    that stroke is shifted a touch deeper, or shallower in the linkage movement
    travel length is the same outside of very very minor changes due to wheel path going to a slightly deeper point in the linkage

edit- also thanks jeron for getting my bushing on its way with good cs and confirming sizing was correct before sending off the wrong thing

Bump! Got a set of these from offsetbushings.com and just got a chance to try them out.

- About $42 shipped and a week to get to the US, included plastic DU bushings which I also installed

- Bike is a Yeti SB66 with Monarch RC3 and a 160mm Pike RCT3 Solo air, 2.3" Maxxis DHF tires

- BB height measured at 13.75" without the offset bushings. Calculated a .25" drop in BB height, and the new BB height measures 13.5". Bushings reduce the effective shock length by 4mm, which is the equivalent of 6%+ more shock sag on a 8.5x2.5" travel shock, or about 10mm more sag at the rear axle.

- Changed the shock pressures slightly to accommodate the slackening of the bike and more weight on the rear end - fork 75 psi dropped to 70 psi, rear shock 235psi upped to 240psi.

- Rear shock sag is at about 28%. I've read that the sb66 works really well sagged about 35%, this puts it more into the vertical middle part of it's axle path. But I'd been reluctant to run a shock on a trail bike that deep in it's travel. Now with the 6%+ increase in effective sag with the bushings, I'm right around an effective 35% sag of the suspension. This seems to help the bike be a bit more active and smoother when pedaling.

- While it is subtle, the bike is noticeably lower and slacker, and feels significantly more comfortable plowing into rocks.

- Being lower and slacker improves the cornering, but is a bit slower steering.

- It has been said that the SB66 improves with speed. At really slow speeds the bike now bogs down a little bit more.

Overall, a pretty nice improvement, I'm very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by offsetbushings View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Jeron from OffsetBushings.com here.
    We've sent thousands of Offset Bushings around the world over the last few years. We offer standard and tracked postage.
    For a pair including standard postage to the US is £25GBP or $38.42 at the time of writing.
    Jeron
    Cheaper after todays mess...