Should I remount?

I have 2 pairs of DPS which I mounted years ago with ST10s to accommodate a 315 BSL. At the time the heel piece was exactly in the middle of the adjustment range in case I ever wanted to loan the skis to hobbit-or yeti-footed friends.
    Fast forward a few years and I find myself in the same size boot with a 306 BSL. The binding is now getting close to the front end of its track but I have a bit of room to spare and no reason to be concerned about it.
    This year I made the switch from Garmont to La Sportiva and my new BSL is 304. Predictably enough the binding is now at the very front end of its track (if I keep turning the adjustment screw the whole heel piece wants to tilt backward) and the dynafit adjustment shim feels a bit floppy between the heel piece and the back of the boot. The gap is definitely under 1 mm, I didn't get the exact number since the calipers I have don't want to fit in the gap. I'd say 0.5 mm by feel.
    I've read enough about the importance of the heel gap to know it's not something to ignore but I went and tried the skis anyway. In softer snow everything seems OK and I had no pre-release through a few jump turns and death-ice extreme snow plowing bobsled exit (Porter Fork in Millcreek for those of you who've ventured up there recently).

Thoughts on re-drilling? I'm a bit hesitant since the screws were expoxied into the holes on one pair (we'll see how the heating method works for that) and the other has a set of plugged holes + a set of insert and they're getting old... Should I do it anyway to avoid a gruesome death?

Here's the Wildsnow article about heel gap: https://www.wildsnow.com/2599/dynafi...ce-shim-gauge/

If you're adjusted to within the Dynafit recommended tolerances, there's little to be gained by remounting. If you're not within the tolerances, a remount is warranted. Even at the far end of the adjustment range, the bindings should release reliably so long as it's calibrated correctly.

If you must remount, you can almost certainly get away with remounting only heels or only toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I'm a bit hesitant since the screws were expoxied into the holes on one pair (we'll see how the heating method works for that)
    I had to remove an epoxied Rad heel piece yesterday and the screws were not wanting to move real easy so I hit them for 20sec with a soldering iron ... the screws came out so easy

now i just heat every screw before trying to remove it just as a matter of policy
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-26-2015 at 12:45 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^^ yep.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

always get back on the horse