Revelstoke Conditions

Conundrum... Have a trip booked to Revelstoke / Kicking Horse for next week. Have never been to interior BC. Conditions seem far from great up there, while we're about to get hammered at home. What are the current conditions like at Revy? Worth it just for the experience or is it going to be pure boilerplate next week when it gets cold?

Right now there's decent skiing in the backcountry at above 6,000 feet. Not great, but the weather is nice and the snowpack is bomber so you can ski pretty much anything. If you're skiing the resort, you'll be stuck on the groomers. They're awesome, but probably not what you're coming here for. There is snow in the forecast for the end of next week, but that's pretty far out and you know how reliable forecasts are in that time frame.

Jeez, go to Silverton or Telluride. Keep in mind the low elevation of the town (1500ft) and what the top peaks are on Rogers (if you are even going backcountry)....if the good skiing is only above 6000'. There is very very bad skiing on the pass below that. Million dollar views to be had though, and good for peak bagging. If you are just skiing resorts, no f'n way go up there now when you have powder close by.

even though Revelstoke is 1500ft, the highway at the Pass is 1300m (4300ft). Don't worry about Revy elevation if you are skiing the pass.

Don't leave pow

I was just talking to my neighbor the weather dude for hire ... sounds like everything sucks everywhere at unprecedented levels
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I was just talking to my neighbor the weather dude for hire ... sounds like everything sucks everywhere at unprecedented levels
    Except the east coast, apparently. Yay for me leaving there for the winter.

Ditto on above comments though, don't leave pow to come here. Skiing is passable above 1500m - 1700m ish in the backcountry (as noted, trailheads at the pass are 1100m - 1300m), below that boilerplate icy crust. Only groomers are skiable in the resort. They're fun I guess, but they do get crowded because everything else is too rough, and consequentially pretty beat up by mid day. Not great skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Don't leave pow
    End of thread.

my friends are heading to revelstoke this weekend for a week. They are not leaving powder. I was wondering what is the best deal for lift tickets for a week.
    off your knees Louie

I hear all the hardasses are in revie
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    my friends are heading to revelstoke this weekend for a week. They are not leaving powder. I was wondering what is the best deal for lift tickets for a week.
    costco in calgary has tickets for $120ish/2days

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    costco in calgary has tickets for $120ish/2days
    I've also seen people sell day passes on the stoke list for 50ish in the past couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Try liftopia.com and keep an eye on the resorts website as they some times have sales. Last year around this time I bought a 4 pack of tickets off their site for $200.

Thank's I never heard of that. My friend is a senior and his son is under 18 so the on line ticket purchase through the resort may be the way to go.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    I hear all the hardasses are in revie
    All the softies go to asspen

Was just in Golden... the sled access stuff up high in Gorman lake zone was pretty sweet compared to the coast, but certainly not anything to get excited about. Its pretty shitty skiing below 6000ft anywhere in BC right now.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller