Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    I think it just goes to show how much fit matters.

I have an Osprey Exposure 50, which I believe is a similar frame to the Variant 52, and I think it carries worse than the two lighter packs I own X Alp 30 (preliminary impressions only) and AT Selkirk Light (extensive use), as well as the Cilo 60 which is about the same weight. The Osprey definitely makes my shoulders sore. I've used both the AT Selkirk Light and the Osprey for >50# loads (overnight gear + glacier gear + skis/boots), and actually prefer the AT Selkirk Light, despite its lack of a frame. Neither are particularly comfortable with that heavy a load.

Obviously, you have a different experience, so it's nice to hear different viewpoints. I suspect I'll take the plunge and purchase a McHale that can be stripped down to a daypack or extended for overnights and be done with the pack search for the next decade or so.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 05-26-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I think it just goes to show how much fit matters.
    Yeah, I've been ski touring for a bout 20 years, and I've had a quite a few packs. Most of them sucked because they didn't fit all that well (and had too many stupid pockets and "features"). I think the idea of buying a nearly indestructible custom pack makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I'm sure Jonathan S.'s load is more like 5# for skis/binders and 3# for boots.
    Yes, that is an important caveat for all my praise of the Salomon X-Alp 20/23 loading carrying ability: for those really long carries, it's 4 lb 11 oz for skis (Movement Big Fish-X) with bindings (Dynafit LTR 1.0), and 2 lb 3 oz for boots (Dynafit-rebranded PG).

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    All these things, at the right time, are great ways to save weight. But I'm not interested in 2 lb pack when a 3 lb pack will carry all that crap so much better.
    I'll admit that even I see the benefit of a little bit of extra weight in a pack.
    For the 2014-15 season, I used a full-on race pack (CAMP Rapid Racing) for all my touring, including long carries in the spring/summer.
    It worked ... sort of.
    And I still use that pack for touring, but only winter New England below-treeline, so no avy rescue gear and no sharps, which means I'm carrying only a bunch of lightweight insulating fluff plus a bit of food and water.
    But the extra several ounces of the Salomon 20/23 liter packs make a big difference for me when carrying the extra weight of avy rescue gear and/or sharps.
    Another full pound, with my gear weight, not worth it. But I can certainly see how it would make sense for more normal gear.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Could someone with the X-Alp 23 measure the shovel/probe sleeve? How long of a shovel handle will it take? And roughly what size ski tails can slip in the diagonal loop? 115mm ish ok?

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Could someone with the X-Alp 23 measure the shovel/probe sleeve? How long of a shovel handle will it take? And roughly what size ski tails can slip in the diagonal loop? 115mm ish ok?
    I measured the sleeve at ~46cm.
    Based on a quick sampling of my quiver, any probe will fit, but many shovel handles/shafts will NOT.

For the tail loop, the circumference is ~310mm. So if your ski cross-sections were wafer-thin, then a 155mm ski would work, but of course you have to subtract the cross section, and any splay/rocker, and skins (if you want to start with skins-on for a long dry approach). So I suggest you make a ~310mm loop of some sort of cord then test your own skis. (Sans skins, you can sometimes minimize the effect of tail splay/rocker by inserting each ski in a staggered fashion.)
    Note that the loop is just girth-hitched to the pack, so you can easy remove the original loop and substitute in your own larger loop.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    The 46cm handle of my G3 spade tech shovel fits. I bought a new more compact probe BCA 240 @ 45.75cm because my older Life Link probe didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Note that the loop is just girth-hitched to the pack, so you can easy remove the original loop and substitute in your own larger loop.
    Slick. Great that manufacturers design with user mods in mind.

Bumping this because I lost my beloved Salomon XALP30 out of my roof box a few months back. If anybody isn't enjoying their's as much as I did, I'd be happy to buy it assuming good condition.

FWIW I did a fair bit of research looking for something better for my usage. If I can't find another XALP30 I'll likely try the CAMP Ski Raptor. Checks all the boxes but feels a bit light duty, both in materials and carrying systems.