Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Atomic Backland

I'm not sure I follow your logic. You got a liner that is a full size smaller than the shell and are hoping that it will take up extra space? I would assume that you'd end up with a sloppier fit.

What does the shell fit tell you? Why didn't you get a 27 liner?

Seth

I baked my khions with the intuitions in them. I heated the oven up with a bunch of bricks in it and turned it off when I put the boots in. The boots did not get burned and the liners molded really nicely. Make sure the liners reach 65-75°c to mold properly.

No logic involved that was a recommendation I found online about the size of the backland liner compared to the intuition liner and it seems to fit well. I used to have a pair of 26.5 scarpa rushs and tried that liner(variation of intuition pro tour) in several backland shells a couple years ago and the liner was so plush it only fit into a 28 backland.

Gotcha.

Intuition can give recommendations also. I usually heat up my liners in a connection oven outside of the boot, but it sounds like others may have other experience.

There's a great thread in here about how to mold your own liners which is a good place to start.

Seth

looking for some advice on the heat molding process with these boots and seems like a bunch of you have had good success with it. i’m between shell sizes in the women’s version of this boot (23 is a tight performance fit, makes me nervous for touring, 24 is roomy, makes for cramped feet on the decent, allows for heel-lift). i’m not sure if the heat molding process for the shell would tighten up the heel lock on the 24 and make it conform to my lower volume feet better, or if heat molding the 23 would make it a bit roomier/more comfortable for touring. i plan to heat mold either boot with the addition of a pro tour liner from intuition. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

emelex, heat molding the 23 will (should) alleviate any width, pressure issues. I don't know how well the heat molding does for length but that shell is very workable if you need a bit of room for toe length.

There is nothing worse than swimming in a boot. But, that said, an intuition has greatly improved some volume issues (too much volume in boot) for me in past. And that stock liner in the Backland is probably one of the top candidates for immediate replacement relative to what are a lot of boots with great stock liners these days. And an intuition is a more volumous liner (can take up more room, even the LV, relative to the stock one in this boot).

I can only assume you are ordering online, otherwise your bootfitter would be able to answer your questions.

I would go to a bootfiiter and buy the boot from them. They'll mold it. Tell them your price online and see if they'll work something out. It's not like there is any short supply of Backlands. Plus you'll have some recourse if it does not work out if they are a reputable boot fitter and care about their work.

It’s my understanding, and experience from molding my Backlands, that the molding process won’t tighten anything up. Maybe there’s a way to apply pressure from the outside but I don’t think that’s standard procedure.

Totally agree with the previous poster regarding Intuition liners. For me, the stock liner left me swimming in the boot and it would have been unworkable. A medium volume Pro Tour liner solves it and, in combination with the shell molding, they fit very well.

thanks for the input guys! i heat-molded my intuition liners today in the 24 because they took up quite a bit of the volume and i couldn't even squeeze a pair of them into the 23's. yet to ski them, but felt pretty good in the shop.

another Q: i think i read somewhere about somebody grinding the tongue on their backlands to make them easier in/out? the tongue is by FAR my least favorite aspect of this boot- makes for a fiddle transition and frustrates me in the field. if anybody has any ideas to make this transition easier i'd love to hear. thanks again!

I ground down the tab on the shell so it’s basically flush/gone. Makes making inserting and removing the tongue WAY easier, but still not as easy as the TLT6 with nub removed. No downsides that I can see. Definitely recommend it.

i have the 27.5 shell backlands, I also have a pair of previously molded protours in a 27 I'm hoping to use. I read that most people go down a size, I am really swimming in these after a couple times out....Thoughts?
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I've been running the stock liner for a year or two now on occasional tours. I tried this morning for the first time my previously molded pro-tours from my old boots, same size 26/26 and while the skiing support was definitely better they were quite tight over my instep while walking which lead to discomfort and cold toes. Going to bake em tonight and give it another shot

My Backlands and Intuition Pro Tours (MV thickness) are the same size. I never used the stock liner, my foot was swimming in it. I have a great fit with the Pro Tours.

Couldn’t get the pro tours to work, had some old BOA liners from some factors. Molded them and seems like a way better fit. Probably grab some 26.5 protours next year off of the group buy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Do these guys length wise fit long? Some people have been saying yes, some no. Yes I know I need to go into a shop, but I need to put a deposit down on one since I can't do it for at least 2 weeks.

My left foot (longer one) weighted is basically a 9.5 (a 9.375 really on a branock). But I have a high instep for my length so I end up in 27-27.5 a lot, and even in a lot of 27.5 boots have instep pressure problems even after molding.

Would the memory fit be good enough in the 26.5 to deal with that? Also thinking about throwing a Scarpa Intuition liner from a 27 shell into these.

Thanks
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

What is 9.5 or 9.375 on a brannock? I am asking that nicely because, well, holy shit.

What do you measure in cm on a brannock?

I measure 27.1 and maybe 27.2. zero volume anywhere but high arch and instep.

A 27.5 (in these very boots) give me a solid 1.5 finger fit...maybe 2. Personally, I'd never size down a touring boot, but that's just me.

My full tilts are all 26's and a one finger fit.

edit: I am guessing that the brannock is showing you US mens shoe size 9.375 and if I'm right that puts you at about 27 point less than 5. If I were you I'd go 27.5, no question.

Just finished getting some advice from intuition:
    ME: 26/26.5 boot with 1.5 finger heel gap
    recommendation is to always round up to make sure the liner fits your foot
    since it is a lower volume shell order the Low Volume liner
    So i ordered a mondo 27 pro-tour LV

Post up how that works out once you've got them in and molded.

Curious to know how much more volume the PT LV takes up over the stock liner. Assuming that even the LV is thicker than the stock one.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Anyone try adding a rear spoiler to the Backland to increase cuff height? Something like this seems like it might attach to the existing power strap hole. I've been experimenting with a Vulcan tongue up front for added height. Jury's still out on that.

The cuff height is my only real complaint with this boot. Intuition Pro Tours definitely make it less noticeable, but wouldn't mind another CM of height.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I don't see why not. Atomic originally suggested 15 minutes @235-240 F. in a shop convection oven, which I did with my pair (worked great). They now recommend 10 minutes. I tend to go with about 13 minutes in the store (this is with the liners IN the shells, mind you). If you don't have convection, I'd probably preheat to ~350 F. and turn the oven off before putting the boots in for about 10 minutes, but that's a guess.
    Arriving late to the Backland game, but I'm pretty blown away by this heat molding process. I went with a semi-tight fit because the 28.5 felt sloppy and the 27.5 felt great everywhere except the big toe. My local shop is not an Atomic dealer, so we used all of the Salomon equipment. Convection oven was 100°C and we baked the whole unit for 12min. Padded the usual suspects on my foot with neoprene and then I entered the pain cave for about 10-60minutes, I can't remember.

Both the bootfitter and I were blown away at how much the plastic moved and how well it maintained shape after cooling. I still had to have a punch on the big toe, but now I have a super light comfy touring slipper. I'm stoked to ski them!

Anyone ever try to mod their Backland Carbon/ regular to activate the powerstrap and or buckle with the lean lock? Like how the Backland Ultimate does it or kinda like a Alien RS. Photo being the back of the “new” ultimate. Can’t find a good photo of the medial side.

Name:  93925_1.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  30.1 KB
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 12-06-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Anyone ever try to mod their Backland Carbon/ regular to activate the powerstrap and or buckle with the lean lock? Like how the Backland Ultimate does it or kinda like a Alien RS. Photo being the back of the “new” ultimate. Can’t find a good photo of the medial side.

Name:  93925_1.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  30.1 KB
    Not sure about anyone else in here, but one of the reasons I specifically bought the backland carbon, instead of a few other choices, was because the buckle and walk modes were separate functions.
    YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Yeah, not quite looking to do a full dynafit or rando race boot treatment but thought it might be kinda cool to have at least the power strap activated by the walk mode.

Since the carbon back spine and walk mode is the same on the Backland Carbon and the Backland Ultimate (with 3 more holes drilled in for the metal eyelets) figured I'd see what I could do. Plus I can get the exact or better lace eyelets that Atomic uses, and that dynnema cord isn't hard to source with West Marine's everywhere in the bay.