Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to go in Colorado Monday?

So, a friend and I are gonna make the powder pilgrimage from sunny and dry California tomorrow to snowy and cold Colorado. We have epic passes, which of the 5 mountains will be the big winner Monday morning? It looks like Breckenridge is in the lead to start. Snow depth and quality is first choice, but decent terrain to enjoy it (steeps, cliffs, etc) as well as lack of crowd to compete with are also important factors. We are skiing Tuesday and Wednesday as well and can hit other mountains then. From what I understand A-Basin has pretty great terrain but Keystone and Breckenridge's trail maps look like they could be decently fun as well. What's the call?

Also, any Colorado peeps gonna be around? I don't expect a tour guide, no friends on a powder day and all, but it'd be cool to meet up for a beer.

And anybody know places near any of these mountains to park a van overnight?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

PM Benny
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Watch the snow stakes.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-Snow-Stake-HQ

Vail will offer the best long run low angle cruse around in Pow experience. Beck has the best steep terrain, you have to hike to most of it though.

A-basin is A-Basin, you just gotta go there. I don't think they got enough to bury the sun crust in Zuma though.

Avoid keystone.

A basin is great but they have been missing the snow compared to breck.

Everywhere should be soft at least.

Breck was skiing great today. Crowds won't be an issue on the weekdays you will be visiting.

The high alpine terrain at breck is a lot of fun. Stick to the T-Bar, 6 chair, Imperial express, and kensho superchair at peak 6.

Lake Chutes are awesome gnar terrain at breck if you are into that.

The hike to terrain at the top of peak 6 is also a lot of fun.

If Vail or beaver creek report good totals, head there. Both vail and beaver creek are a lot of fun.

At vail hit the back bowls if it's a powder day

Thanks guys. Much appreciate the intel.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

If you can get an earlyish chair and don't know vail at all, take the Vag (gondola one) to 4, take a left, rip norhtwoods to 11, back up, if it's cold and the snow is good straight down under 5, otherwise take the cat track to 14 and down China bowl for a lap in shangrila then another to Rasputins to blue sky basin. that should keep you busy!

My only experience in Colorado is Breckenridge. Coming from NorCal, Breck is like a really, really big version of Northstar (it's mostly flat, and the trail rating system is generous in giving out black/double black ratings), but with some back bowls and hikeable ridgelines that remind me of Granite Chief Peak and the West Faces at Squaw (and without the endless supply of snowboarders). I was probably doing it wrong, but getting to the goods (starting from Peak 9) took three or four lifts, and once you get to the hikeable stuff, you have to take 2 lifts to get back to the start of the hike. Which takes place at a lung-bursting 13,000 feet above sea level. At that moment, I realized how spoiled we are to have KT22 and Headwall.

If you do go to Breck, start at Peak 8, take either big lift to the T-bar to Imperial and hike the Lake Chutes.

Through Tuesday the storm is going to be south, San Juan and Elk resorts will be big winners.

Vail Tuesday, ABasin Wednesday be a good time. If you havn't been to Vail, you've got to try it. No big steeps, but there's plenty of interesting stuff in those 5000 acres. ABasin has such a cool vibe and some great expert terrain off Pali. Enjoy!

At Beaver Creek hit the Stone Creek Chutes (far lookers left) and Royal Elk Glades (far lookers right).
    Not sure about parking the van. The walmarts in the area are all 'No overnight camping' ones.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    My only experience in Colorado is Breckenridge. Coming from NorCal, Breck is like a really, really big version of Northstar (it's mostly flat, and the trail rating system is generous in giving out black/double black ratings), but with some back bowls and hikeable ridgelines that remind me of Granite Chief Peak and the West Faces at Squaw (and without the endless supply of snowboarders). I was probably doing it wrong, but getting to the goods (starting from Peak 9) took three or four lifts, and once you get to the hikeable stuff, you have to take 2 lifts to get back to the start of the hike. Which takes place at a lung-bursting 13,000 feet above sea level. At that moment, I realized how spoiled we are to have KT22 and Headwall.

If you do go to Breck, start at Peak 8, take either big lift to the T-bar to Imperial and hike the Lake Chutes.
    yeah breck is pretty flat lower down on the mountain. The top of breck is awesome though. I would start at peak 7 or 8 and spend your day lapping the T-Bar, Imperial Express, 6 Chair, and Kensho Superchair on peak 6. there is a lot of really fun, steep, high alpine terrain off those chairs.

4'-5' predicted for Wolf Creek / Silverton. /thread

^^^ that's where I plan to be Mon/Tues.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post

Breck covers 5 peaks and IMO offers 2 distinct "mountains", one that is below the top of the lower lifts on peak 9, 8, 7, and 6 and one that's above. You can spend all day skiing above the lower mountain on the terrain offered by E Chair, 6, Imperial, T-Bar and Kensho. There's only a couple of hikes (Snow White and Upper Dunes) that require 2 chairs to return to, and even those drop you at another lift with terrain just as good as what you came down. If you end up at the base of peak 7, 8 or 9 you've done it wrong. You don't have to hike to get to bad ass terrain but if you're not a little bitch the pay off is awesome.

Don't bother with peak 10. It's ok but not great and it's too far away from the great terrain.

Monday in Colorado eh. Hit up the Beav. Steeps, trees, pow and free cookies at 3pm. Easy backcountry access as well.

Depending on how tall your van is you could drive up and pay to park in Village Hall, odds are no-one will bother you. Just don't make too much of a scene. Worse case tell BC Security you are too drunk to drive down to Avon.

Solid, thanks everybody. I think we've decided to find somewhere to crash near Beaver Creek tonight, ski there tomorrow, Breck Tues, A-Basin Wed.

Anything else that's must-ski at BC? Where are the free cookies?

Van is tall. Really tall. Econoline with a lift and big tires.

free cookies in the morning too, right after you go up the escalators.

that's right, escalators.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Never thought I'd be wishing I was in Summit County during the winter. Compared to Squaw, Alpine, or Kirkwood, Beaver Creek and Vail will be a letdown. They compare pretty favorably to Northstar and Heavenly. Keystone and Northstar are pretty much identical. Sure, there's fun to be had, but Breck and the Basin offer superior skiing. Make sure you're dressed warmer than you do in CA, and bring some pow back with you.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    free cookies in the morning too, right after you go up the escalators.

that's right, escalators.
    Is that what they have in place of chair lifts? How quaint.

That's ridiculous. Saying Beaver is like Northstar. Fail. But, yeah, stay away. It sucks there.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That's ridiculous. Saying Beaver is like Northstar. Fail. But, yeah, stay away. It sucks there.
    Glad to hear, will be there first thing tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ^^^ that's where I plan to be Mon/Tues.
    fkna ... I can't, but I really, really should be.

even though this pretty much got me fired, whatever enjoy - http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...Skiing-6514880

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    You shut your dirty whore mouth. WC sucked today, it will suck more tomorrow and the rest of the week.

still dumping at WC...so fucking fun.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

This used to work at the Beav. Start with Chair 6 and make laps until 8, 9, 10, and 11 open. Hopefully, you can full-pull the race course and cruise into 9 when it opens. What happened to strawberry, strawberry the neighborhood ho? It's a closed area on the trail map...some of the most fun trees on the mountain.