moment pb&j for east coast? input please

Sorry that this probably exists somewhere I didn't look too hard..

So I have been rocking a pair of volkl bridges. They are the 09 model so they are cambered and they are not the same as the current bridges that have been the same for years now. I think they are 92 underfoot or something.

Anyways, they are fine they are just pretty beat now and I am looking for a new ski. For the east coast I don't really feel the need for a bunch of different conditions so I am fine with one all mountain that is good at most things.

I may go with the new bridge but I have been looking into the pb&j. Anyone have some east coast experience with them? How were they. I am 6 feet about 175 have been skiing for a couple years but I am progressing rather quick (so I am told). I just like to have fun all over mountain, ski a lot of trees and little natural features. Are 188 pb&j too big for this? I get out west for a trip or two a year but primarily ski the east. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

PM Ryan Dunfee, he is our resident East Coast expert.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I have no experience on the pb&j but it certainly seems like a good choice for what you're looking for.

What length are the bridges you're currently on? I am the same size as you and also on the ec, I would get the 182cm. I've generally found that my sweet spot for length is 180-185 on the EC. I've never felt like I have the space to open it up enough to warrant a longer ski & keeping the ski <185 helps in tight trees.

Yeah that sounds about right. I am on the 177 bridges and I never felt at any time that I wanted less ski (sometimes more i.e. deeper days, but the 177 worked). Either way I think you are right about the size, thanks!

I'm definitely leaning much more toward pb&j but anyone have thoughts as the deathwish over the pb&j? I just feel it may be a little bit big for an everyday ski (in the east) but I have not been on either ski so I can't say for certain..

I've been on the PB&J for about 3 season now, it's my daily driver ski at Stowe. It's a bit wide for some but I find it a great ski for when I mix in fast groomers, trees and soft snow all in one day. I'm about 6ft and 190 lbs and the 188 cm is a perfect length for me. The big tip and tail rocker is surprisingly usable on firm snow, just don't expect the dampness or rigidity of a similar width ski with metal in it (it's very different from a Mantra or an Experience 100). The PB&J really shines in the bumps and trees, and it's got enough to go fast on the firm snow. The ski is also quite light so it would work well with a touring binding like a Duke or Guardian. Don't expect the PB&J to be a powder ski or a mostly frontside ski, I see it more as a fun ski that does well in the variable Vermont snow. Oh and the mounting points are fairly centered in the PB&J so an 188 cm doesn't feel that long.

I have a pair of 182cm up for sale, let me know if your interested.

Just another thought--I got some blizzard bushwackers this year for the exact type of skiing described above, and I couldn't be happier. They work well everywhere on the hill and have even been on a few tours with me.

appreciate the input. I really can't decide on the sizing. You say the 188 doesn't seem super long but would you go as far to say they ski short or not so much? I will check out those blizzards that you mentioned also.

Quote Originally Posted by mtcollins50 View Post
    appreciate the input. I really can't decide on the sizing. You say the 188 doesn't seem super long but would you go as far to say they ski short or not so much? I will check out those blizzards that you mentioned also.
    I'd say they ski a little on the short side just due to the generous tip and tail rocker. Sounds like you're about my height so I'd go with a 188 cm, if they seem a bit long, just mount the binding forward a cm or 2.

Thinking about adding the PB & J to my quiver

My daily driver is a 79 underfoot Volkl Charisma and I'm picking up a Volkl 90Eight W in the fall however, the PB & J is very intriguing to me. Not sure how much overlap would exist between the 90EIght and the PB & J but I might have to find out for myself. Its also not likely I'll come up on the PB & J as a demo but if I happen upon a deal I might have to pull the trigger. It seems folks think they ski short but my only choices are 162 and 172cm. I'm 5'6" and 175lbs. I do have a pair of Volkl Kenjas in a 170 that I haven't skied yet but the rest of my skis are in the 160-165 range so I'm hesitant to go up to the 172.

Definitely don't go smaller than 172. I am 6 feet and about 170 and I ski the 188. Occassionaly in tight bumps they can be a bit much but it is usually more of me being tired and not wanting to ski bumps anyways. They have a lot of rocker and they certainly don't feel as long as the stated length. Really awesome ski though, I love them.

I have a friend who rides the Pb&J all the time on the east coast and he seems to love them! super fun and playful ski and at 100 underfoot a great all rounder. The blend also seems to hit that same need that you were looking for.