Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Northern B.C. saved my season. A shames TR

Winter. What a fucking joke. The pacific northwest has been blessed with above average temperatures and rainfall during the winter of 2014-15.

Stevens is missing snowbanks. The parking lot is made up of mud, potholes, feces, and tears of powder starved skiers. Rumor is, the parking lot has caused more injuries when iced over than the ski resort itself. At least they have some snow. Unlike...

Snoqualmie, which has clearly been drained of its life force. The hardest of core skiers in Washington have been shut out from their lifts. Heard the flash flood kayaking has been "all-time" and "butt deep".

Crystal has a gondola, zero snow at the base, patrollers that resemble mustached cops from the 80's and if you write anything negative about the GM or his wife you will be banned!

Getting out of Washington was paramount to our success as powder riders. There was only one thing to do. We boarded a plane to powder town British Columbia, aka Shames Mountain Ski Area. A place legendary in my mind.

So far north that elevation is insignificant. Parking lots and airports get plastered.

Mountains of endless opportunity with skiing potential forever.

Easily some of the nicest people in the world live in Terrace, our bus driver was no exception. "You're going to have to walk from here, the roads are too deep" translates to powder skiing in Northern B.C.

Z-bo skins into houses in jeans. Suck it iceman!

Digging out was our first mission. We went beastmode on it.

The next mission was to hop on the easiest skin tracks in the know free world.

On our way to shames we made a pit stop at the local ski shop to check out the latest and greatest.

There was all sorts of the new breed of touring equipment. We're talking top of the line shit! Literally, and maybe figuratively. Though it was well beyond my price point, the $24.95cad hoverboard had me giddy for the future of snow sliding.

Now we're ready! Some of the easiest access backcountry in North America right at our fingertips. Shames is absolutely a backcountry skiers paradise. Quick mellow hikes lead to big alpine runs.

Last edited by Zeedashbo; 02-22-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

The locals here shred. It's like baker, but with less people and bigger mountains. All we had to do is follow tracks around and get sloppy seconds.

If heaven doesn't include a skin track, then send me straight to hell.

We nailed the weather window. It was so damn pretty I just couldn't stop taking scenics.

It's no problem finding the white room when it's only 30 minutes from the lifts.

A happy place

A happy slash

A happy Gif

Canadian recovery drink of choice. No gatorade here.

While the lighting down low and on north faces didn't allow for good action shots, the action up top was phenominal..

Two thousand feet of pow to the valley floor? Yes I'll take it, and yes I'll devour it like a deprived lab rat that hasn't had its heroin feeding in weeks.

Apparently this is a busy day. I think the parking lot (both of them) hold maybe 100 cars. Seriously, I am not joking.

It was so busy that we hiked for untracked turns. Can you believe that shit!

Untracked for days

One night upon our departure (All the cool kids don't leave until its dark) we ran into a scene reminiscent of the music festivals I frequent in the summer. It was like walking into a weed and alcohol induced comedy show. In true Shames style a group of locals chatted us up on the way to our car and coerced us towards their mini fire. We might have met the funniest/drunkest/funniest 27 year old canadian alive. Sensing that a couple of yanks who have no fear walking up to strangers and smoking their doobies, were more than likely pretty cool, fear of retribution went out the window. In my haze, I don't remember shit. I was tempted between laughter fits to start recording on my phone, but sometimes it just doesn't feel right to spy on your own conversations. Especially when any single quip might land one of us in jail . One laugh still sticks out. When referring to the incoming warm weather and valentines day a few days away, one of the guys bellows out "it'll be cold on Valentines day, it alway is", the other bemuses "yeah it will be, because womens hearts are cold!". Their respective women agreed. FKNA, Shames is that good.

Cheers Bitches!

I just want you all to know how deep the ski bum maggot water runs. This trip would have never happened if not for our boy Garyfromterrace. We met on Longboard day at Alpental. If there is ever a moment for bonding it is on Longboard day. Nothing says you are friends quite like 210 or greater.

My dude Gary while out of town gave us the keys to the palace. I was only putting feelers out for this trip and really didn't think it could happen financially. Gary came right out and said I could crash at his place and roll his whip as long as I wanted. How friggin cool is that??? Gary represents his town to the fullest. As I said before, people are nice in northern B.C. All you gotta do is name drop a little Gary at the ski hill and everybody is your friend. I think the G.M. of Shames said it best, "I love Gary, he's the greatest! We only have to send search and rescue after him a couple times a year!"

Thank You Gary! You saved my season!

bitchin. got me some happy feelings right now

Oh boy!!!

I'm jealous. Looks like fun!

Thanks for the stoke.

Three cheers for Gary!

Many thanks! Stoke!

Killing it with the 3-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

That. Is. Beautiful.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Excellent. Something uplifting for us poor, deprived West Coasters.

Nice TR. Gary gets a gold star for sure. That's rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Z-bo epic stuff. This brings back warm smiles of the TGR of old, road trips facilitated by maggot hook ups.

Sucks we didn't get to have a beer on your Vancouver layover.

Gary is awesome! Loved having him for his first day of EC skiing.

I was just asking myself, why do I still browse the ski forum? And then I saw this, and I remembered.

Amazing, great stoke and a feel good maggot story!
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Thanks z
    Smiles for miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    I was just asking myself, why do I still browse the ski forum? And then I saw this, and I remembered.
    Hallelujah

Winner winner chicken dinner! Brilliant!

This is headed to the HoF forum for sure! Fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Makes me want to get out there right away! Good read!

Northern B.C. saved my season. A shames TR

Well f00king done Z!
    And, Gary is the man...

Thank you, that was awesome.

Well as much as I will take the praise of da fellow mags (while blushing of course), let me just say that the benefits of magdom have flowed the other way just as much. From partying in Lot 4 with the Alpentalians and paddle board lessons by Mud in FLA, to hospitality in Bend from Tap. Scotsman's stylie "cabin" at Crystal (whenever you come Gary it's yours.. oh and your buddy from Germany who I've never met - sure he can use it too), TC's amazing river float (plus staying up half the night waiting for some canadian wanker (me) to show), to Alpenchronichabitual's great pad, meals and guiding, to Flowing Alpy opening up his home (and his lake incl toys) to me and my son, and I'd be remiss in not mentioning the recent fucking wondrous hospitality of the EC crew (Rusty Groomer, MMP etc) at Magic (fuck you Benny Profane). There's lots of folks I haven't mentioned, but you know who you are... anyway I'm a firm believer in treating others like you'd want to be treated yourselves - and shit, skiers are the best folks I know. Rock on mags, and it was my pleasure Z Bo!! Very glad you and Eric had a blast. The north fucking rocks!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Outfuckingstanding zbo!!!!
    That actually got me misty eyed +++++++

Gary and shames are both class acts. Love them both. I need to go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

What was in the cage at the little beer/doobie fest? A pet wolverine? A badger perhaps. I would think a canine would be to passe' for Shames.

Cool stoke. Thanks for sharing.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch