Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Spec. Enduro vs Bronson Vs Yeti S5 or 6 vs ?

Ya, it that time of year when riding jongs like me start thinking about a new ride. Sure, I should just go try these bikes but I might be able to score a deal by sucking it up and just ordering early. Coming off a 2008 Yeti 575. Mostly ride Teton Pass with some long xc rides and the occasional lift served. Yeti loyalty makes me want the new SB rides but I'm open to other options.

Thanks in advance.

New Yeti is sick (both 5 and 6)
    Dollar for dollar the new Kona Process 134 and 154 is hard to beat along with the new Transition stuff
    Enduro is cool
    I'd go 5150 or Nomad over Bronson personally.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    I'd go 5150 or Nomad over Bronson personally.
    Not that there is a lot to go off of, but I'd think the bronson straddles what he posted pretty well...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Thanks grskier - that's what I was thinking.

JeffreyJim - Have you ridden the Konas? Process 153 sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Not that there is a lot to go off of, but I'd think the bronson straddles what he posted pretty well...
    Nomad or 5150. Trust me. The Bronson is the noodlers bike.

I'll throw another bike in the mix... Giant Trance SX. I just swapped out my SC Solo/5010 for one and it feels very similar in ride quality, with the caveat that the Trance has much better suspension (dual-position Pike up front, RS Monarch Debonair in the rear) and should be a blast going downhill. Not that the Solo wasn't super fun going down, but I expect the Trance to be a little bit better.

Thanks Smmokan

JJ - Noodler?

I've seen more used Bronsons show up on CL than anything else. There's a reason there. 5150 would be the better choice for sure between those two

Chk out Ripley or HD3. I'd love either on the rides you describe.

I've been on various Enduro's since the first iteration of the x-wing. Upgraded last year to the redesigned x-wing platform and it climbed quite a bit better than the old one - we're talking a night and day difference here. Just recently sold that bike and had to make the decision of whether to try something else or go with another Enduro. After much deliberation I went with another Enduro because I know I already love the bike and what it is capable of. I my enduro from long cross country rides to riding it at Jackson and Winter Park.

Yeah, the Bronson is a terrible bike. If you buy one throw it away immediately, or give it to a homeless person. There's no fun to be had on one.

SCs are shorter (I'm a big dude with a not so long torso- I like the "cramped cockpit" of my Bronson), Transitions and Konas are longer. Process 153 was #1 on my list until I rode it and the reach was too much for me. Again, I am a bit of a T-Rex in the torso, so that was my only hang-up with the Process. It was a super fun bike, just not right for me.

If you're at T-Rex, wouldn't a longer reach on the Process be better?
    Or do you just like short bike? I love Intense bikes, because of the short reach. Was thinking of going to a process 153 next year but I would just throw a 30 millimeter stem on there, is it really that much longer? Oh wait, I get it, t-rex's have short arms. FWIW, I'm six foot with long arms and like a smaller bikes so I go with a size large with intense , and well , I go to large in everything, especially underwear because of the size of my balls. Actually in 2004 I had a Yeti ASX in a size large. And if they still make them as long as they did then, I would probably go with a medium now. As far as a free ride bike went , that bike was way too long
    Last edited by markcjr; 02-20-2015 at 08:30 PM.

I haven't ridden the yetis but I'd say the norco ranges and sights are ones to look at too. They pedal a little differently (better mostly) than the specialized. The range is every bit of a descender as the nomad and enduros, but better than both IMO because of the pumpability (sic).

I'd say figure out what you want in terms of angles, materials and travel first. You've got a bit of a spread there.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Warden

sb5 with a decent suspension would be great! haven't ridden the sb6 but unless you are a very aggressive rider, huge drops and gnarly terrain the sb5 will handle everything easily and be better on long xc!

I'm a big yeti guy, so definitely would go sb5!

Spec. Enduro vs Bronson Vs Yeti S5 or 6 vs ?

In my experience the Yetis are super poppy and playful and skip across terrain. Makes them pretty fast. They don't stay as glued to the ground and can feel a bit sketchy if you get in over your head though. Not a good plow bike. The Bronson seems to do better in this respect. Depends on the feel you're looking for. I'd wager custom suspension work can change that to some degree, but haven't dicked around with it at all, personally.

I'm on a Turner Burner and it's amazing. Pedals great and descends great, I've got no complaints. But... if I was to buy a bike right now it would be a Canfield Balance, so hot.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Minor variations in fit and feel is all that separates these high end rides. You can't really go wrong, but you really have to ride them to appreciate the differences that matter to you. I haven't had an opportunity to try the SB5, but have swung my leg over most of the others mentioned. If I could afford an upgrade this year the 5010 would be my clear choice, for me and for the mix of riding you describe, although I'd have to overcome my irrational lust for the Nomad.

Can somebody explain wtf is going on with Yeti's new extra expensive and complicated looking suspension?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

There are so many good bikes out there right now. They will all probably feel good compared to your 575. If buying from an LBS, I would go see what lines they sell and narrow it to that and ride a few. If internet or used shopping, good luck. I ended up with a Spartan this year and couldn't be happier but I haven't ridden a ton of other options so couldn't make many comparisons for you and I'm not one to say I know how a bike rides by reading numbers on a screen.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Can somebody explain wtf is going on with Yeti's new extra expensive and complicated looking suspension?
    It's pretty much just the evolution of the rail linkage that's been on their DH bike for a long time.

Affectionately known as "two dicks in a box"

To the OP:
    Another vote for the 5010 if you go with the shorter travel stuff. Those bikes are fun. Just not as monster truck as some of the others.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Warden
    I'm gonna be putting mine up for sale (medium) for a good deal within the next month most likely. Could probably deliver to Jackson in that time frame as well.

Its a great bike, just a bit over gunned for the vast majority of my riding around SLC/PC.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I'm gonna be putting mine up for sale (medium) for a good deal within the next month most likely. Could probably deliver to Jackson in that time frame as well.

Its a great bike, just a bit over gunned for the vast majority of my riding around SLC/PC.
    You going to race on the 27.5 Endorphin this year? Run one with a 140 36/Pike/Stage would be amazing up here but not sure how it would work for me down south. Warden with 160 saved my ass at least once in Moab last weekend when I got a bit cocky with a line choice on Rockstacker.

i'll put this up for comparative sake. maybe you just want a trail bike idk. http://www.mtb-mag.com/en/comparativ...-back-to-back/
    take with a grain of salt. I put their top picks of gt and jekyl in last because of the crazy long wb and longer cs although I agree with their special ed pick but I would rank the rune higher(nice wb length and cs and bb can be adjusted lower/shorter). the best one is the one that fits your dimensions(fit/usage). other bikes I would put at the top are the knolly warden, Norco range, and devinci Spartan. also their trail bikes(endo,sight,troy respectively) . nice wb lengths. short stays, and decent bb heights, although that's kind of my "fit". bottom of the line carbon devinci Spartan or troy's are an amazing deal. both come with pike and debonair rear shock. keep frame and shock/fork and upgrade parts as they wear or if you have some gooch parts now add them on the devinci and sell your current w new parts from the devinci
    http://www.devinci.com/bikes/bike_530_scategory_132
    Canadian pesos so almost free99 usd

I've been on both Yetis, 5 more than 6, but they feel reasonably similar. The 6 is built heavier and that's the most noticeable difference, I'd say. The funky design pedals really well and I found the 5 to stick to the ground very nicely.

For those used to visualizing kinematics, the Yeti can be understood pretty well by imagining a single pivot that moves from just ahead of the "main" pivot (on the sliders) and goes back behind it as the wheel travels up. The result is a little rearward travel initially, average to high anti-squat when riding level, and low pedal kickback on big hits. I think its relationship with their old downhill bikes is much more legal than technical. It's functionally similar to the Switch but lighter, so it kind of looks like they just saved some attorney money by citing their old patent.

Having also been on the new Jekyll I'll just echo that you can't go wrong here, but you might go wrong for you if you don't try them out. Jekyll is a great bike, which is better appreciated at speed or for straight-lining over rough stuff that you might otherwise pick through carefully, and a little less tossable. Even the SB5 feels long/stable vs. a shorter/more flickable ride like recent Enduros. Your preference there is like fit, so it's best to try anything you can.