Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's my understanding that the catch with the Slow Down/Get Fast approach is that you have to commit quite a bit of time for it to work. Like 10-15 hrs/week for running and 20-30 hrs/week for cycling. Otherwise, you never get enough of a training stimulus to create the adaptations. It's absolutely the gold standard, but not necessarily achievable for people who aren't pro/college athletes and have regular jobs, families, etc. or for people who do sports that require endurance but aren't pure endurance athletes.
    I agree with most of this, although the 20-30 hours/week for cycling might be high. In theory XC skiing should take less time because a larger muscle group is involved. On the recommendation of a world class ultra bud I did the MAF thing a few years ago on 12 hours per week minimum of running and ski touring. In the beginning it was bit frustrating slowing down sufficiently to get my HR down, but eventually it paid off, and I was indeed running significantly faster at a lower HR.

I think those minimum hours can be trimmed down a bit by doing 2-a-days, e.g., 30 minute jog in the morning and a 45 minute jog in the evening, together with 1 or 2 long slow runs, hikes or ski tours on the weekends.

Re the non-pro athlete/working man thing: Commuting to and from work via walking, jogging or bicycling fits very well into Maffetone training.

My real world experience of long bicycle trips -- 4 trans-U.S., MT-to-AK, Pacific coast, 6 weeks in Euroland -- when I was a young man confirmed that the only way to get in really fucking great aerobic shape is to do lots of hours of big muscle group exercise at HR within the MAF threshold. Gold standard is an apt metaphor.

Finally, the book Born to Run makes the case that humans are naturally endurance athletes. Our species walked hours each day as a matter of routine before the neolithic revolution. The recent article in the NYT claiming that more than X hours per week of exercise is bullshit cuz it's based on a population of largely sedentary people and an assumption that the exercise is high intensity.

I posted this in the other running thread, but nobody responded, any collective thoughts on kelley starrett's new book, "ready to run"?
    http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Run-Unlo.../dp/1628600098

it was recommended to me by a physiatrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Mixing walking and jogging is a great idea, but the current wisdom is that interval training should be done only for sharpening for a race. See the Want Speed? Slow Down linky.

Back when Maffetone was just hitting the scene I heard Mike Pigg, the world class triathlete, talk about his experience with Maffetone aerobic training theory. (Mike Pigg wrote the forward for one of Maffetone's books). Maffetone put a cap on Pigg's training max HR, so much so that Pigg had to walk his road bicycle up hills at times. (Imagine a world class athlete walking his road bike up a hill.) Pigg stuck with the program and eventually was able to ride up those hills at a HR below his MAF threshold. That's the key: to get faster at a lower heart rate. Interval training spikes HR and throws a wrench into that process. After the MAF base is achieved, Maffetone will have his athletes do some interval training for a specific event. For we mere mortals following strict Maffetone is difficult if, say, we run hilly trails and pride will not allow us to walk when we should walk.

Interesting stuff
    Some great points!!!! I think maybe the best thing to do is listen to your body. Stop if you feel achy...rest a bit....don't care if people see you walking, its not like they give a shit, you only THINK they give a shit, if some stranger catches you walking instead of running. It's a head game.

I've decided that the best way to get exercise is to do active things you really enjoy....whether it be kayaking, XC ski, snowshoeing, modern dance, whatever. Important thing is to do it. Nike wasn't wrong I that regard. I see hundreds of people spending hundreds of hours at whatever gym...half the time they look bored as hell. The funniest is when, on a perfect blue sky day, I see dozens of people slaving on the stationary bikes...going NOWHERE. what the hell for??? Are they training for the Olympics? Fatass chance of that. Get outside...embrace the outdoors...find sports that you enjoy that work you at the same time. I still play soccer full field and I just got reintroduced to the absolute joy of tree-climbing! If you've got work to do around the house, do them at a run sometimes instead of a shuffle....just for the hell of it.

There will ALWAYS be some new study touting some new theory....but doing a sport or activity that you enjoy is always relevant. Run...jump like a 9 yr old....climb trees....sprint....just be active...that's the key. Of course, that always drives the inactive slobs who have added 4 or 6 sizes to their waists, mad. So? Let them be mad....they're secretly envious.

Flowing Alpy: if you spend THAT much time in the pool, you should look into water-polo. Its a LOT more fun, and hella exercise!!! I'm not sure if there are any teams/clubs in the Snoqualmie area...you may have to try Seattle...but its a blast and great conditioning!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Tabata sprints. 4 minutes per day, 3 times per week. Take a long walk if you need something to do. It will get you in excellent shape.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

I think mornin walking is a good idea to raise our human body. Since I often do so, I prefer to use correct products that can raise my body in a normal way. What do I mean? I mean when you want to change your body with such products like glycerol since it raises not only hydration & endurance but also muscles, aerobic & anaerobic power... All of these can help with pre-workout pumping. So personally I use it often since it is not so expensive and it really helps with my human form. By the way not so long ago I've bought it from alphawolfnutrition.com here since it is a great deal for each customer since the prices are not expensive...
    Last edited by mb9fdb; 03-30-2020 at 05:35 AM.

As someone who's been running for 20 years and now has moderate arthritis in the hip, take up walking.