Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Damp Hans vs the Minions

Decisions ... decisions ...

Looking at changing my 29er tires. I want something wide and burly and sticky and Shore Worthy ™. The rims they are going on are 35mm (internal). A fat tire looks and works great on them.

Front: 29 x 2.5 Maxxis Minion. Weight is 1,250 grams (DH casing, regular is 1,050 grams)
    Back: 29 x 2.3 Maxxis High Roller II. Weight 941 grams.

Now, in comparison, the Hans Dampf would be 850 grams and still the same actual volume as the Minion 2.5.

So ... worth changing to save 491 grams of rolling weight Also, that's 1/2 a pound of un-sprung weight too per wheel.
    edit: I was wring about the weight. I should have looked at the casing on my tires. I have the 1,050 gram model.

The Minion has served me well but is kinda heavy ...

Anyone feedback appreciated.

Last edited by puregravity; 02-19-2015 at 06:00 PM.

been happy with Hans up front, but have not tried the minion for comparison. Seems well suited to PNW loam surfing.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

Front: 29 x 2.5 Maxxis Minion. Weight is 1,250 grams.

What the hell casing do you have that weighs as much as a dh tire?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

That 29x2.5 minion is beefcake. The tread is massive and I think its an EXO casing. Its just a whole lot of rubber

God, 29ers suck.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

The 2.5 Minion does deliver a bit extra width after the trail has worked it over.

It's like getting a 2.35 tire for the price of a 2.3
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Ditch that pig.

Minnion over Dump any day of the week. Even if it means 500g of rotating mass.

That said ditch the 29'er.

2.3 EXO tweener size 3c DHF is only listed as 870g.

2.3 29er minions kill it, just down size and be happy. I like every Schwalbe I have ridden for 2 rides... then the shit starts shedding lugs.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Damp Hans vs the Minions

My bike is 27.5 but I am really digging the Magic Mary that came on the front of my new (used) bike, at least for winter riding. It sticks to corners like glue. I find it grippier than a DHF or Specialized Butcher (which are comparable to each other).

Unfortunately the Magic Mary is on the verge of becoming the opposite type of semi-slick to the type you'd want. Cornering knobs are cracked at the base and will tear off any minute. It's a shame since this is a great tire.

So for someone who wants more grip than a DHF in the wet, what's a good Magic Mary alternative that lasts longer?

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by D(C);

So for someone who wants more grip than a DHF in the wet, what's a good Magic Mary alternative that lasts longer?
    Believe it or not, you should consider a WTB Vigilante.

I've always found the Hans to have awfully "rolly" cornering knobs. Probably okay for lighter riders but I *hate* it. Maybe different casings negate this problem?

Magic Mary is awesome but yes, the side knobs crack off and its one of the slower rolling tires out there...

DHF, Butcher or the new Bontrager DHF copy FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Bontrager DHF copy FTW.
    You talking about the g4? I know the G5 was supposed to make it into a trail casing but I haven't seen them anywhere yet. You got a line yo? Those things are teh bestest evar!

And yeah, anything resembling hard dirt or lots of rock doesn't seem to get along with the sideknobs most of what schwalbe makes (but especially the mans cramps). Not that this means anything for Vancouver in February necessarily.

Hey PG, you're looking at dh casings for weight on that minion.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-302-122-minion-dhf

These are the trail versions.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-468-121-minion-dhf

Are you sure what you have is a dh casing? If so, you either bought the wrong tire or someone at a bike shop hates you.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Hey PG, you're looking at dh casings for weight on that minion.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-302-122-minion-dhf

These are the trail versions.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-468-121-minion-dhf

Are you sure what you have is a dh casing? If so, you either bought the wrong tire or someone at a bike shop hates you.
    Lol. Good thing I have you guys!!

I do believe you is correct. Mine is folding 2.5 29er which puts it at ~1000gr.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

29er Maxxis Shorty in the front. Most ultimate PNW front tire ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkaDirkaJack View Post
    that's gonna be a Utah tire this summer.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    Believe it or not, you should consider a WTB Vigilante.
    I've been running the WTB Vigilante on the front, like it, and have been running the Trail Boss on the rear, it's just ok. FWIW, I'm running the TCS Light, and both front and rear sidewalls have punctured. Now running tubes for no weight savings at all.

I know the G5 was supposed to make it into a trail casing but I haven't seen them anywhere yet. You got a line yo? Those things are teh bestest evar!

Yup. It'll be in Trail form this year...

DCamp had some before he split. The molds/layups are already out there. I went and looked a few days ago on the bontrager site and nothing.

Those fuckers said they were coming out with these when they started making the dh ones 3 years ago.

Interesting suggestion. Is the Shorty pretty similar in purpose to a Magic Mary or even more mud/slop specific?

Thanks to all the gang that chimed in. Given the correct tire spec, the Minion isn't looking so bad at all. Especially since it does have beefy sidewalls and is quite damp at the right pressure.

... And it does not have the tread-shred issues that people are reporting with Hans.

The benefits of the Minion are worth any weight spec differences on paper. I'm sticking with old faithful.

Quote Originally Posted by ricorides View Post
    I've been running the WTB Vigilante on the front, like it, and have been running the Trail Boss on the rear, it's just ok. FWIW, I'm running the TCS Light, and both front and rear sidewalls have punctured. Now running tubes for no weight savings at all.
    For whatever it's worth, I'm the opposite. Vigilante is fine in some situations but is rarely (if ever) the best option, at least for me. But I thought the Trail Boss was excellent in the category of medium knobbed faster rolling tires. Obviously they're different tires with different intentions - I'd use a Trail Boss as a rear tire or on my hardtail, whereas I'd always take a Minion over a Vigilante when I was looking for something that'd go around corners in a hasty fashion. I've ridden both in a couple different casings (all setup tubeless) and haven't had a problem with any of them, but I know others that have sliced up the light versions. I also don't run particularly low pressures.

A cut spike up front on wet roots would be terrifying. In pure mud however, would be a different story.

Has anyone ridden both the Magic Mary and the Shorty?