Lame Ass TR - Black Cliffs

It wasn't much of an outing, but it was the first outdoor climbing of the year. Made necessary because our snow completely sucks. Worst winter since I've lived here for my local ski hills.

Just outside town we have the black cliffs. A string of columnar basalt cliffs, I pitch high, easy access. The main cliffs are south facing, and the basalt warms up fast if the sun is out, even on a cool day. When last weekend dawned warm and sunny, with no inversion smog, we decided it was time to climb.

My duaghter and I got out, played around on some moderate sport climbs.

I realized that when I'm this out of shape for climbing, and my skills this unpracticed, my favorite part of the day is usually the class 4 scramble up to the cliff base.

Was nice to break out the rope, though.

Ultimately our climbing sucked, after a winter indoors, we just don't have our outdoor brains on, yet. Ended up leaving a bail biner halfway up an embarrassingly easy sport route. Fortunately, with age comes wisdom (if not climbing skill), so I now stockpile cheap bail gear for just such occasions.

Lame Ass TR - Black Cliffs

Nice. Was just thinking it would be perfect temps up there and probably worth a trip.

You tired of farming corn up at Bogus? (what's left of it...)

I've hardly skied this year. Had a minor injury in December, was working my ass off in January, and now there's no snow. Wasted money on Bogus and Brundage passes this year. Might go down to Swan Falls to play around on rock this weekend. I've never been there, but someone else is taking a group I might tag along.

Looks like a fun place to hang out to me, thanks for sharing.

Do you have any ice up that way, or is it not your thing?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I'd love to know if there were some ice within an hour of town. I've heard of some in the canyon out by twin falls, and some up in the mtns (sawtooth and lost river ranges), but none easily accessible in the SW.

Right now it is cragging temps anyways.

I don't know of any climbable ice near here. There almost has to be some up in the Sawtooths, but that becomes a little tough to access in the winter. Long hikes in, after a two+ hour drive from Boise.

Looks fun! Was thinking of getting my kids out on the rocks here in SLC too. Any reports on City of Rocks conditions?