Whidbey Island Boulders?

I know all the usual places to do internet searches, and I will do them, but thought I'd ask here also.

Going to Whidbey for some downtime next month. Would be fun to get out bouldering (I assume there's no actual climbing), does anyone know of anything on the island.

Also, anything easily accessible from Port Townsend?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    I know all the usual places to do internet searches, and I will do them, but thought I'd ask here also.

Going to Whidbey for some downtime next month. Would be fun to get out bouldering (I assume there's no actual climbing), does anyone know of anything on the island.

Also, anything easily accessible from Port Townsend?
    Lived on Whidbey for seven years and didn't really find any climbing there. However, there's a nice overhanging sport cliff just north of the Deception Pass Bridge. Go west on a road that leads down to Rosario Beach. I believe this cliff is covered in Jeff Smoot's book Rock Climbing Washington. I used to traverse the base and climb up/down ten feet or so if I was solo and just looking to boulder. I think it's located on your left as you drive down to Rosario Beach...kinda hazy on that. It's in there somewhere and you can see it from the road. Might be down by Bowman Bay...it's all in the same area.

Other than that, the best climbing is on Mt. Erie by Anacortes, just a few miles north. Lots of cliffs with various routes and I'm sure you can find some stuff to boulder on. You can drive to the summit, and that's the easiest way to access the climbing. This area is also covered in Rock Climbing Washington.

Have a great time--make sure you do some hiking around Deception Pass State Park to check out some of the old growth. Love that place and Whidbey Island is beautiful. Numerous awesome state parks with beach access.

Thanks. I'll have a partner, so if there's some climbing up around Anacortes I'll probably head up to check it out. Mountain Project says there's some easy trad up there, and some moderate sport, which is right up our alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Thanks. I'll have a partner, so if there's some climbing up around Anacortes I'll probably head up to check it out. Mountain Project says there's some easy trad up there, and some moderate sport, which is right up our alley.
    Yep, that's the fare, it's good quality rock. And if you're looking for a place to eat and drink a beer after climbing, check out the Rockfish Grill/Anacortes Brewery in Anacortes, it's a cool hang. It's on the main street down toward the end.