Thread: Its F-ing on!

Its F-ing on!

I've paddled 3 of the last 4 days and I'm leaving for a 5 day river trip tommorrow. The rivers and rising, my edges are rusting and I've already got a flip flop tan. I wonder if skiing season is over for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles
    I've paddled 3 of the last 4 days and I'm leaving for a 5 day river trip tommorrow. The rivers and rising, my edges are rusting and I've already got a flip flop tan. I wonder if skiing season is over for me?
    Nice! We're just getting into the end of February right now in the Northwest. I think the seasons got messed up this year. It didn't snow all season until end of March and now conditions are like mid-winter. No kayaking for me until I purge that skiing urge

enjoy the river trip! heard it was 60's back in CO. it was 27F and snowing in BC yesterday!

please tell me it stayed a bit overcast sun.

pretty please.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Here in Utah things are starting to go.
    I've run parts of the Weber, Scrambled Eggs Bend several times. The Ogden River Canyon section several times. Hit the Ogden play park about 10 times already. Ran the Black Canyon of the Bear (Idaho) twice last weekend, what a sweet run. normally there are no flows in the Canyon cause the water is siphoned out for power but do to repairs they were dumping the water for the first time in several years. Damn the Bear is a great run. UP&L has promised to release annual recreational flows in 2008. I'll prolly hit the Virgin River in Zion National Park this weekend. All this kayaking is so sweet because I have been in gimp central most the ski season. I should get clearance to ski in May but with the huge water year Utah is going to have I may not bother unless we get a huge dump. Oh yeah, I am running the Grand in June

Go Run A River!
    "For in the end life and liberty can be as much endangered from illegal methods used to convict those thought to be criminals as from the actual criminals themselves".

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    please tell me it stayed a bit overcast sun.

pretty please.
    60deg and sunny in Fraser at 5pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Ranger
    Oh yeah, I am running the Grand in June

Go Run A River!
    Enjoy! I ran it last March. If you have any questions or need any tips, let me know. Find the widest brimmed hat you can. You'll be hinding from the sun as much as possible. Get a bunch of cheapo sunglasses to paddle with as the sun tracks down the canyon once it turns South.

bastardo!

Oh well. I hauled wood, got the garden boxes going and cleaned the smoker instead of doing anything fun

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles
    Enjoy! I ran it last March. If you have any questions or need any tips, let me know. Find the widest brimmed hat you can. You'll be hinding from the sun as much as possible. Get a bunch of cheapo sunglasses to paddle with as the sun tracks down the canyon once it turns South.
    Yeah its ganna be hot as hell down there is June. Several pairs of cheap sunglasses is a great idea. I've lost to many expensive pairs to the river gods already. I am normally a kayaker but have a raft and only got invited if I row the sucker. This trip could be interesting, it will be my first time rowing this year. I have kayaked the Grand before, but sitting here in my cube even the thought of rafting it makes me feel queasy. I am also in the process of thinking about how to make some sort of convertable car type sun blocker that I can put up and down when needed. Any suggestions for this sun blocker would be appreciated.
    "For in the end life and liberty can be as much endangered from illegal methods used to convict those thought to be criminals as from the actual criminals themselves".

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Ranger
    I am also in the process of thinking about how to make some sort of convertable car type sun blocker that I can put up and down when needed. Any suggestions for this sun blocker would be appreciated.
    Easy. Get a standard cocktail umbrella. Hose clamp on a "Quick Grip" brand clamp. You can then mount this on your frame wherever you like. On layover days and in camp, you can place it over your cooler. Also mandatory is a party tarp so you can hide from the sun in camp. We had a custome 60 X 40 para wing that was delux. I agree with the raft bit! I'm trying to find someone to row our raft down Westwater this weekend. No way in hell I'm paddling it at 11K.

Foggy, the cocktail umbrella is a great idea and sounds much simpler than the convertible car thing. I will also check with the group leader and make sure there will be a sun tarp for camp. Oh and by the way I just looked and I think Westwater is almost 15K and the way it’s trending it could be much higher by the weekend

I've hit Black Bear hole over the weekend and I'm taking a river rescue course on the Shoshone this weekend.

Once I got in the kayak all my plans of spring skiing chutes went out the door.

Hey all, since we're on the topic of rivers runnin' and what not I figured I bring the Lochsa into the fray. Just ran it this past weekend... OH BOY! It was super fun, and will only become more fun. FOr those of you who don't know, the Lochsa is a big juicy constantly rapids river about 2 hours northwest of Missoula MT. This weekend we're thinking of doing several things: Mesa Falls ID, Lochsa ID, or (if its even running yet, and I'm 99% positive its not) Big Timber Falls. Its gonna be sick regardless...
    I'm scared Poncho.

Bullshit! You ain't afraid of no man!

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

UrbanKayaker, Big Timber Falls is sick. Hows pipeline right now?

I don't know pipeline.... please elaborate...(New to the Montana scene )
    I'm scared Poncho.

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

Pipeline is a one of the best surf waves in the Western US its on the Lochsa
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...36806052pvouWP
    The wave is just outside the small town of Lowell.

OHHHHHHHHHH, that one. That is a SICK wave. That was tons of fun, we rode that one for quite a while. I wish there was a rope or something so you didn't have to get out and walk those rocks.
    I'm scared Poncho.

Sure do miss the Lochsa- have fun with that. Due to low snowpack, I bet pipeline will be in for awhile. If I remember right, it dissapears above 10,000 or so.

On another note, since this is only my second season boating down here in Colorado- I plan on hitting up some stuff further beyond the Front Range/Summit County drainages. One river on the agenda that I'm not too familiar with is the Upper Animus. I've heard nothing but great things about it and am super stoked to finally run it. If anyone has some info to share such as, optimal levels, shuttle time needed, run time, etc.. it would be much appreciated.

Also, I have the regulars that I always paddle with, but am always up for meeting new folks- particularly those that like to paddle around the class 4 and moderate 5's. I'm not quite into the hair yet..

New Mexico Bound

Fired up for a weekend jaunt to Taos to paddle the Embudo and possibly the Upper Taos Box, but probably not if the Embudo is at 3.4 -3.7, its just too fun to bomb down through cheezegrater, mj, slamdance, SLOTS, and taco garden. Word is that the Pueblo is running for the first time in many a year. Could be fun....
    "The future ain't what it used to be" - Yogi Berra

All my spring skiing plans have gone out the window as well. Been in the boat three times this week, shosone early season warmups, little barrel springs action and then went down to the royal gorge on tuesday. Damn is sunshine sticky!!! at 330. Took me a good bit of time to get out of the biatch, and my two buddies got worked and swam. I am off to northgate canyon tommorow, should be fun.
    "Is it necessary to disdain the affluent Escalade driver in the ski area parking lot just because he never threw caution to the wind and gave up work, meat, and let his hair grow in the surreal international sojourn of powder skiing and self-actualiztion?"

WELL OF COURSE, thats why I am me and you aren't

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River
    One river on the agenda that I'm not too familiar with is the Upper Animus. I've heard nothing but great things about it and am super stoked to finally run it. If anyone has some info to share such as, optimal levels, shuttle time needed, run time, etc.. it would be much appreciated.

The Upper Animas is beauty, but deadly. There are several massive log jams in tight slots with sheer rock walls in the lower upper. Be sure to get perfect beta before you attempt to run it. Do not miss your exits. I lived in Durango for 6 years and every year there would be a floater that would get released from one of those keepers in the Upper Animas and meander it's way into town a week to ten days after they went missing. Not a good thing.

Upper Animas River
    The Upper Animas is a beautiful and challenging river. Be prepared and bring extra supplies and emergency gear such as a breakdown paddle, extra clothes and food. The Upper is the second highest commercial put-in in the United States. At 9300' Silverton is always chilly, and the water is frigid 'til mid-July. Wetsuits and paddle jackets are required, drysuits are a good option. Rafters should take a healthy repair kit and the knowledge to use it and cataraft enthusiasts might consider an extra tube. Please be aware that the Durango/Silverton Railroad is not a means of emergency access.

The Run: Begins below the high mountain town of Silverton. Water levels are considered Low:800-1500cfs, Medium:1500-2500cfs. High:2500-5000cfs. 5000cfs and higher is considered by local outfitters as the limit of rafting safety. All flows are measured in Durango. These can be roughly estimated as 1 ft./thousand cfs on the Tacoma Gauge. Located on the river right pylon.

Put in on the large railroad grade area to the left of the dirt road. Portage soon after on the right; very low bridge with R/R debris. (At low water kayaks can pass on far right chute). Good warm up rapids for next two miles. If you have any trouble here hike back to your car via the tracks. Rapids slowly get more difficult as you descend. A tricky drop with a large boulder on the right signals caution as 'Snowshed' (Class IV) is only 50 yards downstream. Look for a concrete wall on river left. Scout left. 'Snowshed' can be run right but must be punched with authority. Left is tricker but less consequential. After a short run out the river calms. Pass under the Elk Park footbridge.

'Ten Mile Slide' A short steep drop marks the end of Elk Park. Here scout right at a pool on the edge of a marshy area. Look for a sharp right hand turn and the river hits a small vertical wall. Kayakers may choose to round the corner to the edge of 'Ten Mile' rapid. Mt Garfield dominates the skyline to the left. Snowden peak is to the right and high above the canyon rim. 'Ten Mile' is one of the big 3 on the Upper and should be scouted by all unfamiliar with the run. Complex and pushy 'Ten Mile' can be humbling to the best of river runners. A solid V at high water (3500 cfs) and IV even at low flows (down to <1000). Usually run in teams of two boats or more, 'Ten Mile' is long and continuous. The top of the rapid is the most technical. Run left to right to center. Watch for an anvil shaped rock two thirds through the top section; its sticky and sharp! Keep on top of things for the next quarter mile. The gradient eases for a mile but, is still continuous class III+.

'No Name' This rapid makes the Upper Animas stand out like few rivers can. Like the Gauley's Iron Ring and The Forks of the Kern's Vortex, 'No Name' takes concentration and commitment. Mountain View Crest is a good landmark to look for as you approach the rapid. It appears you will flow right into it. When you see this ridge look for a group of large trees deposited on an island above the rapid. Stop on the left when you see these and scout. Good trees are ready for a boat tie-up. A good trail is found in the brush and brings you directly to the bottom of the drop. Scout carefully-the granite is very slick. Rafts can bump through this but should have plenty of safety at the bottom. There is continuous whitewater for two more miles below this significant drop. Ropes on shore and a kayaker in the water are highly recommended. Consequences are extremely high in a hard left corner where guard rocks defend the inside line. Skillful boat management will pass you through a boatwide slot between river left and a large hole. Continuous whitewater follows for another eighth of a mile. Superb views behind offer quick glances at 13,998' Pigeon Peak, and its smaller sibling Turret Peak.

Passing under a heavy bridge and entering the Cascade Creek drainage on river right, the Animas eases to a relative crawl; the flat spot. A mile and a half of easy II and its back to business. Soon, the river carves a mini defile called Lunch Gorge. The first rapid is the most significant here. 'Toilet Bowl' is run left to right. Be ready to hyside. As you float through this section beware of river left as the Animas has roared through here and torn away significant portions of rail into the gorge. A smaller mini gorge is followed soon after and has a stiff hit at its end. Line up and be ready. Paddle crews should particularly be ready for this small but powerful wave. Authors note: If you should choose to run the Upper at Extremely high levels lunch gorge becomes extremely difficult ranging to class V and, there is a huge hole directly above '

Toilet Bowl'. Run far left.
    Two more miles of quiet class III leads the paddler to Tacoma power stationThe take out is on the left, just above the Power Structure. De-rig and wait for the 3:40 Train. If you miss the second train the last train always has a boxcar. They are required to stop as long as you are ready to load your equipment and willing to pay your fare. Wave your hands across your knees to signal the engineer to stop.

Expert Kayakers, C-1's, and open boaters can continue downstream through the Lower Gorge to Rockwood. If you had any trouble on the Upper do not attempt the Lower Gorge. This is a very commiting portion of the Upper and swimming has been deadly. Recovery is difficult and all walls are vertical and undercut. The reader should be familiar with read-n-run type boating. There is no scouting in this gorge. The first and most significant rapid is 'Mandatory Thrash'. A river wide hole that can be run as many ways as there are water levels. Lower flows are run far river right against the wall. At high water there's a seam 1/3 off the river right wall. Any way you put it your going down. Hold on and it will let you out. The rest of the run is very pushy and should be treated with respect.The corridor following 'Mandatory' is really cool. Watch for the pourover's and run left at the bottom. 'S-turn' is a simple drop and has a big pool just don't go right. The last place to be heads up is a hard left; hug the shore and don't go into the pourover it's a keeper. The mandatory takeout is just below here on river right. Look for the scary Forest Service signs. A short hike up a steep path brings you to the tracks near Rockwood. Please paddle in groups of three or more. Good Luck!
    Last edited by truth; 04-30-2005 at 06:57 AM.

It was a "boss" heh. weekend in Utah

Vid of Finsy surfing in N. Utah.
    http://www.ecdesignsusa.com/1.zip/RI...5/P4300067.MOV