Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I went from bending a pole or two a season to never bending a pole again after switching to the Scott team poles. Been using the same pair since the mid-90's and I'm still a hack.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    BD Expedition 1s are awesome, I've been using them a couple seasons now. I cut the dumb straps off but they have a big grip area, fixed length, aluminum, lightweight, cheap, etc etc

here they are on SAC for $28 if 135 works for you https://www.steepandcheap.com/black-...hoCkUkQAvD_BwE
    Haha look what else is on SAC:

https://www.steepandcheap.com/soul-p...oxMTpwb2xlcw==

Quote Originally Posted by thewestisthefuture View Post
    If they break I'll probably try the BD fixed aluminum.
    Kinda looks like BD is discontinuing the Expedition 1 fixed aluminum poles.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    I removed the pole straps a while ago and I have not missed them in the slightest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    ditch the straps- you won't miss them and it's safer, less likely to break etc.

I don't really need adjustable, I wrapped the upper shaft in sticky tape and that works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    save expensive adjustables for the backcountry
    Thank you for your insight.

People seem to think carbon poles are lighter, but I've kind of felt like aluminum feels lighter.
    Maybe some 1 pound arm curls would help if you are concerned about pole weight.

Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    This isn't for real, is it? Lighter poles are easier to move around, they work better. Does anyone seek out heavy poles? I'd prefer the weight in my skis and boots and bindings.

Haha look what else is on SAC:

https://www.steepandcheap.com/soul-p...oxMTpwb2xlcw==

Bummer, that's a great fixed length pole for touring and inbounds with the extended grip. Still usually use my Series 4 rental poles most days.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    The issue is that over a few thousand vertical feet, you use a lot of energy with heavier poles.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

bump

I bought a pair of BD carbon probe poles back in 2009 for cheap off Tramdock.com, and have been using them exclusively since then. Years ago I fractured one of the tips, but it kept on trucking until last weekend when it finally snapped. I tried ordering a replacement lower from BD, but what arrived didn't fit, so now I'm facing the possibility I need to buy some new poles.

I don't really need adjustable, I wrapped the upper shaft in sticky tape and that works great. What I do need is a good grip. I love the grip on these BDs. I removed the pole straps a while ago and I have not missed them in the slightest.

Who makes a fixed-length pole with a great grip?

My search has been confusing because it seems like manufacturers have a problem with listing pole weights, which I would have thought was one of the only important stats on a pole. People seem to think carbon poles are lighter, but I've kind of felt like aluminum feels lighter. Does anyone have any numbers on this for fixed poles?
    BD should have several diameters of lower shafts that they can send you. They did this for me earlier in the season until I found one that worked with my Traverse adjustable from the late 90s.

Carbon composite fiberglass poles are super durable, possess great dampening abilities, are very flexible and light.

I have a couple pairs of these fixed height poles. They may tend to show wear more (maybe?) but I'm not saying this myself. Because....

Wether your charging hard, in tight quarters, or have to really use those poles to make last second moves....wear will be noticeable regardless.

May you find your mighty Excalibur/z!

I like CF poles, but BD Razor and Razor Pro only go to 140cm, not long enough for double poling on long low angle exits nor for low angle fishscaling. Sticking with our tried and true Traverse (155cm max length). I'm on my 2nd set of lower shafts and I just swapped in a new strap on one of them. Lauds to BD for stocking spare parts @ a good price.

Dang dude. That is long.

Idk how some people go through so many poles. Maybe I'm not skiing hard enough? The only times I have bent my poles is if I crash and land on the pole or something like that.

Make money. Buy toys.

This isn't for real, is it? Lighter poles are easier to move around, they work better. Does anyone seek out heavy poles? I'd prefer the weight in my skis and boots and bindings.
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    The issue is that over a few thousand vertical feet, you use a lot of energy with heavier poles.
    It's for real, you are a weight weenie. A lot of energy over a few thousand feet??? This isn't for real, is it? Compared to what, cast iron poles?

Poles from the $5 barrel at the shop for inbounds and a pair of adjustable alu poles for earning turns.

I didn’t like my old BD Traverse poles. They had a terrible swing weight as the baskets were heavy. I like my new K2 lockjaw alu poles better.

Quote Originally Posted by asland View Post
    I keep busting my fixed height ski poles.
    It happens when I'm skiing through the woods (side-country) I'll inadvertently hit it against a rock or tree... they bend and when I try to bend them back they crease and break.

Weight is not really the issue just durability.
    Money is an issue. I'd like to avoid spending $120 on poles.

So, should I go with a carbon fiber pole? a stronger s4 aluminum pole? or just buy a few beater poles for $20?

thanks,
    Your problem is: bending them back - don't do it! Aluminum work hardens very easily. Hardened aluminum = brittle. If you do manage to bend it back without breaking, it is most likely going to break soon, with little provocation. With aluminum poles, if you bend them, you pretty much have to live with it or get new poles.

I used to bend a lot of aluminum poles (by falling on them I assume, not so much hitting stuff). I switched to carbon and for me, durability is worlds better. My first pair ($30 Rossignols from the bargain bin at the local shop) lasted over 15 years (eventually one of the tips fell off and was lost - couldn't find a replacement). Current/2nd pair were a little more ($60 Salomons on closeout), are nicer (less bendy, nicer grips), and are on their 3rd season going strong.

I'll never go back to aluminum. Carbon costs more, but is more economical in the end, it would seem (assuming you're the sort to bend aluminum poles - which the OP obviously is, as am I). The lightness probably doesn't make much difference, but it's a nice bonus I guess.

I fell on one of my fixed-length BD carbon poles in softish snow this weekend and broke it. Made for a really fun exit.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Your problem is: bending them back - don't do it! Aluminum work hardens very easily. Hardened aluminum = brittle. If you do manage to bend it back without breaking, it is most likely going to break soon, with little provocation. With aluminum poles, if you bend them, you pretty much have to live with it or get new poles.
    Depends on the Al alloy. BD Al alloy adjustable pole lower shafts are soft alloy (probably 6000 series), which usually can be rebent once with care without significant weakening, although it's not always easy to bend it back straight enough to slide easily in the upper section. My bud rebent a 30 degree bend to straight, skied it another 5 years/hundreds of days and passed it to his kid, who still skis it. (BD upper sections are hard alloy, maybe 7000 series, and will crack if bent.

I was Super disappointed in the Dynafit Seven Summits carbon poles. They would Not hold the length adjustment. Had to reset the length after almost every run. They could not replicate the failure so they sent them back and said Tough Shit to you.
    My theory is that the tiny flat section that should stop the lower section from twisting is not sufficient, that the natural twist I put on my poles is causing the ‘lock’ tab to leave the little notch. Then they collapse.
    I refuse to try them again. A wasted $130. Knowing that they will fail when I need them the most.

^^^Thanks. I considered those at one point, and wondered about how that little notch would hold up.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda