Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Who is falling for the new Evil Following 29er?

It seems that Santa brought us all the final bike we all didn't know we want or need:

The Evil Following.

There is just something about 29ers in black carbon and hunter orange. Bike Mag says it is a Monster Truck Wheels with a Sports Car Feel.

OK. But, umm, err, my hardtail 29er has big bad wheels, a 140mm fork, short 435mm/17.125" chainstays, a 1143mm/45" wheelbase, and, after riding smaller wheel size bikes, I still call it a "Monster Truck with a Monster Truck Feel"!

There are a lot of 29ers with angles and measurements are very close to the Evil, just as short stays and perhaps even a shorter wheelbase. So, I just can't see how the current crop of 29er re-makes can be any better in steep technical terrain, tight-turns and the other gnar delivered straight Fromme the Shore around here. I just can't see how a 29er can deliver anything other than monster truck feel in comparison to the smaller wheel size bikes.

Now, is there some special sauce? Or is Pink Bike and Bike Mag just bowing to the 2015 29er production line before revealing to us all in a few months that the 27.5/650b is now the logical and practical choice for all terrain?

... Help me know before I salivate any longer over that black fancy linkage carbon fiber frame.

I think you need to spend less time reading marketing fluff. remember what happened last time?

Come on Jamal, that was just an experiment. But this is serious. How do you know it's just marketing fluff?
    Last edited by puregravity; 02-10-2015 at 11:55 PM.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

It's about that bb height and head angle combo.

Yes, it does ride well, very well.
    Last edited by alpineadventure; 02-11-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Will it crack?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Will it crack?
    Definitely

Everything (besides the cracking) on paper lead me to believe this is my unicorn. I think I'm going with an Sb5c though.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Isn't this the new thing? I've been waiting for the Transition Smuggler...but I suspect that everyone is going to come out with a "29er BMX bike" soon.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I'm curious to see what happens to Evil. They haven't gone the route of 650b or additional travel for the Uprising. It may have been a rad bike 1-2 years ago, but now I'm guessing most people will just keep walking past it toward the countless sexy newcomers. Give that bike medium sized hoops and 160mm of rear travel and all of a sudden it's competing with the Mojo HD3, 6BC, Mach 6, Nomad, etc.

If I was looking for an FS 29er, I'd definitely consider the Following. But I'm done with 29ers for now. Just not much motivation for rolling around doing loads of smooth xc miles

How many bearings in that complex linkage? Shock buried under complex linkage = hard to keep clean/adjust. I'll admit it's sexy though.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

all the evil bikes are sexy as hell, but god damn, do they have issues.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    How many bearings in that complex linkage? Shock buried under complex linkage = hard to keep clean/adjust. I'll admit it's sexy though.
    It's just a dog bone to a rocker. That makes for 3 pivots in the shock linkage, plus the main pivot for the rear end. Same number of pivots as any four bar bike.

But yeah, the shock is crammed down in there a bit.

I rode this bike, albeit briefly. Everyone I know with one is obsessed with it. Even the people at Evil didn't expect for it to be as fun or fast as it is. Folks are saying that 160mm is too much after riding this thing. I hear the suspension curve is really the main draw besides the geo.

It's definitely the season's Jesus bike. But I'm not convinced.

My best friend has an Uprising. He's had issues and had to warranty his frame. Some were related to craftsmanship of the frame. Others were related to the design: he developed a lot of play at the main linkage. The rear triangle is a big lever that isn't all that well supported compared to other designs, and the level of craftsmanship (mentioned above) probably contributed.

They've changed factories, and changed the design of the main pivot. But just because they come out of the same building as Santa Cruz doesn't mean the same care goes into them; we don't know the details of that contract. I hope it makes a difference. They seem like good guys trying to bring a rad product to market, and I'd like to see them get it right.

I think they will do really well with this bike. It suits a lot of good places to ride. However, I doubt it is enjoyable on technical descending trails -- home to the usual 29er suffer-fest.

For sure they will have a 650b next year. By then it will become obvious if the new supplier makes more durable frames.

It will be really interesting to see if everyone still regrets buying 29ers after this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I'm curious to see what happens to Evil. They haven't gone the route of 650b or additional travel for the Uprising. It may have been a rad bike 1-2 years ago, but now I'm guessing most people will just keep walking past it toward the countless sexy newcomers. Give that bike medium sized hoops and 160mm of rear travel and all of a sudden it's competing with the Mojo HD3, 6BC, Mach 6, Nomad, etc.
    Meh. As soon as they redo the mold on the front triangle to take a real headset and make room for another shock, I'm probably going to buy one.

So yeah given the buying power of a company that small in carbon manufacturing land...........like 5 years.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Heard maybe a squid size wheel coming from them.

Just wait two more weeks.

These bikes look cool and people seem to like the way they ride, but for all the hardware and linkages, it's a single pivot. I know Dave's a guru and it's all about the curve on this bike but it seems to me the same could have been accomplished in a more elegant and reliable package.

I'm a total 29er JONG, never really had one on a trail for any length of time but from the way I've seen people ride the right ones, I don't think you have to give up much in the way of descending prowess or maneuverability. Rollover benefits are well documented. The REAL drawback that I've seen are heavy, flexy wheels. Seems to me carbon wheels are all but mandatory to get around that and the cost and durability drawbacks there are also well documented.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    all the evil wimens are sexy as hell, but god damn, do they have issues.

FIFY
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Seems to me carbon wheels are all but mandatory to get around that and the cost and durability drawbacks there are also well documented.
    Nah, not really. Stiffness is important but that can be had without the risky plastic hoops. My I-9s on my big wheel hardtail have taken a beating and held up great, they are incredibly stiff too.

I'm definitely intrigued by the Following, considering pulling the trigger once they are back in stock.

Here we go again..........
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I'm a total 29er JONG, never really had one on a trail for any length of time but from the way I've seen people ride the right ones, I don't think you have to give up much in the way of descending prowess or maneuverability. Rollover benefits are well documented. The REAL drawback that I've seen are heavy, flexy wheels. Seems to me carbon wheels are all but mandatory to get around that and the cost and durability drawbacks there are also well documented.
    Um ... You see that is the problem. There is a lot of sacrifice in the maneuvering dept. Big wheels carry more gyro. The bike vertical/lateral pivot point is higher, the rider gets hit in the ass with the back wheel when it gets steep., etc. etc. etc.

Folks on a lot of beginner-intermediate trails in flat counties won't notice, until they ride technical terrain or fun trails or until they ride a 26 and 29 side by side.

There is a reason the brands are trying to fix 29ers, because a lot of the people that bought one became fed up quickly.

I'm not quoting you to pick on you. But Evil and other brands know the 29er is a tough sell for those who already had one. IMO Evil should have come to the table with a 650b, because this year a handful of frames are available in that size with fancy linkages and carbon. This is the year to make that move and they missed it. Even they knew it was a gamble, hence why they are already backordered on frames. 29 is too risky a proposition now ... There are very few 29er frames coming into the stores stock for riding around here.

But obviously there is more mellow terrain in other places and less to give up in performance.

Look at that latest 'scientific study' claiming 29er is fastest wheel size! Look at the trail ... What a joke! That trail would be easier than the easiest beginners trail around here.

Put those studys on trails that serve each wheel size best and I'll put my money on the one that suits the terrain.

Enduro has gone 650b. Even if the riders could possibly go faster on a 29er, which they can't, they would not bother because it would suck the fun out of racing.

Bike mag bible tests are done on average terrain, almost any bike can compete with any other bike regardless of frame geometry, wheel size or weight on those trails. I love it when they throw in to their review, "heck, we loved that bike. Even if it had no suspension at all we would still love it." If they are on trails where no suspension at all could win their vote, then ... They drank some koolaid to like certain bikes more.

Yes, I bought a 29er, geometry same as Evil, it's a great bike on the right trails (xc and rough xc where rollover benefits). But it really sucks at delivering fun around here.

... Rant ended. That didn't all make sense. But it is my contribution to the wheel wars

OK, well, not completely ended ..

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/an...ng-821916.html

See what people are saying:

I also have trouble bunny hopping, but a friend of mine who is a really good rider can both bunny hop and manual.

I'm going to a shorter stem soon and will be spending some more time on learning it.
    I´m using a Stumpjumper 29 and do pretty much everything with it...the only con is that it turns slower than a 26 and it is impossible to do any manuals...
    Tough to manual - check.

Unless you are super tall the new 650B looks much better for all mountain. Freeriding sucks on a 29er in my opinion. I ride my 29er for mostly cross county riding and racing.
    Freeriding on a 29er - not.

To my opinion the switch from 26 to 650b isn't the effort,the difference between the wheelsizes is too small.(my opinion)
    That's the point. A small incremental improvement in traction and rollover is all that most people will ever want or need. 29er was an experiment gone wrong. And still going wrong.

... rant over. Whew.

Over to some other expert here ...

But perhaps the Evil one is a bit easier to ride and offers something new. Like they said about the Process 111:

VF: If someone is looking at the Process 111, they’re probably also eyeing the Process 134, the slightly longer-travel, 650b sibling. The two bikes can tackle a lot of the same terrain. What kind of rider would be better suited, then, with the Process 111?

CM: Good question. The Process 111 and 134 are equally capable bikes, they just do things differently. So it is a little bit hard to talk about pros and cons but perhaps temperaments?

134 – Intuitive, stable and responsive

111 – Aggressive, speed and responsive

Terrain also plays a role. If I lived and rode in Bend I would get the Process 111. Whistler? The 134. Santa Cruz? The 111. Bellingham? I would want both.
    Last edited by puregravity; 02-13-2015 at 04:32 PM.

I knew it.

"Even if the riders could possibly go faster on a 29er, which they can't, they would not bother because it would suck the fun out of racing."

No. They would ride whichever bike was fastest.

The MTBR-folk who you quote for not liking a single 29er's bunny-hop/ manual competence likely couldn't do one in the first place. But there I go making assumptions. Maybe everyone posting on MTBR in 2012 was a pro.