Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thumbs down Dog has a torn ACL- What to do?

Ive been to two Vets and both recommend surgery. TPLO surgery, they cut the tip of tibia off and pin on an implant. It doesn't sit well with me.

If you read the internet on the subject there is a few dozen websites dedicated to not having the surgery and just letting it heal.

My dog is 70lbs (should be 55-60) and we have her on a serious diet, after 3 weeks she is starting to walk on it (barely). The surgery is expensive but I dont really care about the money, I just want the dog to be healthy.

Any experiences with either route that you would care to share? I am really tormented on this decision.

what is dogs age?

what would the dog like?

you should seek my guidance, seems like all others concerned with status instead of dogs
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Moar cookies

We waited, didn't change. Ended up doing TPLO on both knees. Once recovered, it bought him several pain free years.

If you do surgery, PT is key. First knee we were strict w PT and recovery was quick. Second knee we slacked a bit, and recovery took a good bit longer.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

personally i wouldnt subject a dog to surgery like that
    Zone Controller

Zone Controller

DD really??? Your not funnez dood. The guy is serious and you are suggesting he put the dog down trying to be cute. Go troll Newschoolerz.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I have an 85 lb lab that tore his ACL when he was six. We did the TPLO and have had no problems with it. If you are diligent in the recovery stage, everything turns out fine. The recovery is a lot of work, keeping them still and very gradually increasing walks. Massage, ice packs. We were able to start swimming him after 6 weeks I think. You cannot let them have any sudden bursts, so it means on leash for a long time. And the first few weeks are little more than a walk no farther than just to poop.

It took about 6 months for him to really have full normal activity, and a year by the time his leg looked strong like the other. He's 9 now and doing great.

I'd do it again. It was expensive and a lot of diligence in recovery. But he's my buddy and worth it.

I got no advice, just vibes.

Diet is a good idea regardless, that has to help.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I did tplo for our last dog. Right knee at age 8. Left knee at age 11. She died just before turning 14. Very worthwhile surgery. Her quality of life was excellent once recovered. Do the PT.

Unfortunately, my current dog just presented with a partial tear. We've got him on leash-only outside time to keep him from running for two months. Doc said there's a chance it will knit itself back together if it's not too stressed.

Good luck with your pup!

Dhelihiker, this is a highly successful surgery. Just find the most experienced tplo doc in your area and you should have no worries

Dog has a torn ACL- What to do?

I was given similar counsel about doing the surgery versus "healing." I can't speak to the latter as we just went with Vet recs. Mine had both rear legs done and she's happier than ever. Due to her age and otherwise amazing health, we went with the "sure thing." If money isn't a dispositive factor, your outcome seems a lot clearer if you go the surgery route. We were told the prognosis for full use and longevity was exceptionally high.

Your dog is fat. Cut his food and ease up on the cookies. They're not people, they eat what we give them when we give it to them and they love it no matter what. Dropping weight will improve every orthopedic problem he has now and every health problem he's headed toward down the road. Solid evidence shows that if he's not fat he'll live longer and be healthier.

Do the surgery. There are several different surgeries, just do the one that the surgeon you like has done more of.
    It won't heal or get better on its own. Your dog will be happier with it. Will always wonder why you hate him without it.
    Now that he's blown one, he's much more likely to blow the other. This is a great reason to fix the bad one now, because even though he can get around on three legs, he'll suck balls on two legs later. And start saving.
    Vibes. Dog expenses suck and it sucks to see your buddy hurting.

I've done both on a 70lb lab. Paid for the first one and got pet insurance. Second one happened and 80% was covered. Both knees are now bomber, smiles all around. FWIW-

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Your dog is fat. Cut his food and ease up on the cookies.
    FWIW, cutting food isn't necessarily the only option. My golden must have a super slow metabolism, he was only eating 2 1/2 cups of senior food a day, and still went from 75 to 95 when we had a kid and his exercise dropped. There really wasn't much food to cut! But I finally put him on the science diet prescription diet food, he now gets 4 cups a day and over the last year+ he's back to that 75 or close to it. Highly recommend that stuff.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Dog has a torn ACL- What to do?

Attention all!

That wasn't meant as a joke. Personally I've never heard of dog acl surgery. I don't condone any major surgery on animals.

Dogs don't know about ACL surgery, subjecting them to it for the owners ultimate benefit is borderline abuse

I was being earnest. If dogs have had many successful acl surgeries fine. Go with it. If anything else is the case I stand by original comment and should never have been CENSORED. My comment wasn't offensive whatsoever, I used proper medical terms and had respectful ish tone.
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Attention all!

That wasn't meant as a joke. Personally I've never heard of dog acl surgery. I don't condone any major surgery on animals.

Dogs don't know about ACL surgery, subjecting them to it for the owners ultimate benefit is borderline abuse

I was being earnest. If dogs have had many successful acl surgeries fine. Go with it. If anything else is the case I stand by original comment and should never have been CENSORED. My comment wasn't offensive whatsoever, I used proper medical terms and had respectful ish tone.
    it came off as an attempt at humor, which it was not. Which is why is was quietly edited.
    At least here you are trying to make a point, however bizarre.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

My dog tore ACL in 2006, I got her a TPLO surgical repair. She was 4 y.o. at time, lived to be 12 with much more mobility etc than if I'd confined her to a bum knee w/o repair. Biggish dog, shepherd/chow mix, 65-70 lbs. I'd say if the vet surgeon is familiar with TPLO and not doing first (or first dozen) it's worth the $$/hassle.

some similar info here with my experience with my old dog who had 2 acl surgeries....
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...nar-w-ACL-Tear
    Altho we didn't do any dog PT- they never even mentioned that to us but this was also 8 or 9 yrs ago now
    Good luck!

Attention all!

The fact that you have never heard of it just shows your ignorance on the subject. And subjecting a dog isn't just for the owner's benefit, it's for the dog's benefit, so that the dog can continue to enjoy life (as many have, for years) in the way that dogs do.

And good god, your comment was the definition of offensive. I get that you're a constant troll, but that type of offensiveness hasn't been your style. I do, however, agree with you on one thing. Your comment should probably not have been edited by someone else, you should have had the guts and decency to do it yourself.

missed it

hmmm, maybe DD will do a little research next time before spouting off

^^^^ meh

im not a vet or an owner of a 2300$ dog. i suppose some wish to protect their investment. I simply have a different relationship with animals. I dont use them to boost my status or ego. I dont think that extreme surgery is for dogs. Glad to have prompted "the hand"
    Zone Controller

knee surgery doesn't really seem extreme when I have a dog for the purpose of hiking, running with me etc. Broken knee means they aren't going to be able to come, which means I'm out a security guard and buddy. A surgery for a grand doesn't seem like that much considering most dogs are acquired for free and the time and energy spent making them good trail dogs.

Vibes. Your going to need surgery and she will most likely also blow the other ACL. My sis-in-law is a vet and my fur niece has had all kinds of surgery. She also told me something like at least 90% of dogs that tear one tear the other. :'( vibes.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

^^^^ meh

im not a vet or an owner of a 2300$ dog.
    clearly...and not sure why cost is such an issue with you...do you have a $10,000 dog or something? $2300 dogs not good enough for you? It's a dog, not an investment tool.

i suppose some wish to protect their investment. I simply have a different relationship with animals. I dont use them to boost my status or ego.
    In my house, the dog is a member of the family. I'm pretty sure many others in this thread feel the same way.

I dont think that extreme surgery is for dogs.
    What extreme surgery? TPLO has a success rate in the 90th percentile, better long term success rate than ACL work on people.

Glad to have prompted "the hand"
    troll's badge of honor...wear it well