Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    haha did you learn this basic tenet is biz school, because it is fallacious -------- price point has nothing to do with quality you fool

look at beats by dre headphones, their entire budget is spent on marketing... to influence buyers into believing it is a "high quality" product via brainwashing

same with pharma companies that spend more money advertising and marketing than research and development

a product is worth whatever somebody will pay for it, and since rich bitches be paying for dumb stuff...industrious capitalists will exploit and corrupt the marketplace
    neither of those examples are relevant to dogs -- the market is completely different

you claimed price is somehow reflective of quality

i say you are completely wrong and just provided to case studies

a market is a market - they all function the same fundamentally
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I'm not sure puppy milling is that glamorous of a job haha-
    trying to elevate status is such a strange conclusion to jump to- maybe it's more that a person (perhaps erroneously) thinks that a more expensive dog might be more trouble free than a pound dog? seems to be the more likely situation.
    Or my mother still frigging talks 50 yrs later about wishing her family got a St Bernard when she was a kid instead of their black lab. I'd guess it's more that some people just get a special place in their hearts for a certain breed of dog and so they seek that out.

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    I'd guess it's more that some people just get a special place in their hearts for a certain breed of dog and so they seek that out.
    ding!
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Sacramento, whatchya got?
    Lots of options in the Sacto/UCD area. I have a call in to a local surgeon who knows all the N. California surgeons to get the best recommendation. Unfortunately he was in surgery when I called, probably doing a knee. If you want to drive to Ventura, my guy is great, but there are good options in your area. I'll let you know.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    ding!
    You are getting the dog you want, and DD is a dick...why is this thread hijack still going on?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

maybe it's more that a person (perhaps erroneously) thinks that a more expensive dog might be more trouble free than a pound dog? seems to be the more likely situation.
    actually the opposite is true, read up

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/ma...d_paradox.html

furthermore, dont try to claim that vanity and status are unrelated to multi thousand dollar dogs... or any dog for that matter
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    You are getting the dog you want, and DD is a dick...why is this thread hijack still going on?
    hahahaha because people are stupid and i am saying a lot that is correct, folks just like lying to themsleves
    Zone Controller

I'd go ACL repair if homework says it's a good option and the means are present. And, I hope Binky's new pup lives a long and healthy life. I'm with DD on much of the rest.

hahahaha because people are stupid and i am saying a lot that is correct, folks just like lying to themsleves
    The only thing you have said that is correct is that people are stupid, and I use you as exhibit A.

iscariot

actually the opposite is true, read up

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/ma...d_paradox.html
    umm that's why I intentionally added the 'perhaps erroneously' bc I actually understand while it may seem more intuitive, it's not the case. But then again you probably are not interested in a level headed response

umm that's why I intentionally added the 'perhaps erroneously' bc I actually understand while it may seem more intuitive, it's not the case. But then again you probably are not interested in a level headed response
    gothca, but i think you were confused from the jump. of course puppy milling isnt glamorous, its down right vile. It remains lucrative and all you need to start gaming people is a boy dog and a girl dog

status is what buyers seek through the acquisition of expensive breeds...
    Zone Controller

No I totally got it from the get go as I was a pre-vet major, am aware of the problems with over breeding etc
    Sure maybe some people earn their living puppy milling and I agree that is a shame but I guess I just don't understand the status elevation thing you keep talking about. I mean the folks that show dogs etc I can see having that status symbol but for your eveyday joe...I could think of a thousand better ways to elevate my status than being a fancy dog owner.
    Maybe it is so, but I just don't see the draw. Like when they go to the dog park or are walking and someone says they have a cute dog or something and Dhelihiker is going to get all Smails on them- oh mmm yes this is fifi fritz blah blah blah or blah blah blah. Nobody has ever given a shit whether my dogs are pure or not- just well behaved etc.

The "expensive" breeder We got both our goldens from refused to sell to one family who had been on a puppy wait list for months, Because "commoditizing bitch" didn't like how purchaser's children played with the pups (or behaved with people) during her mandatory visiting times required before becoming approved by her as owner of one of her dogs.

We got to hang out with sire and dam of both our dogs and visit breeders home. She was chair of state breed association. and specialized in breeding healthy (and champion) hunting dogs. No puppy mill.

Digideath clearly doesn't know shit about dogs.

Or it would seem people.

I'd let my dog bite him. Maybe even encourage it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Digideath clearly doesn't know shit about any of the things he spews on endlessly about.

Especially people.

Just a tad of adjustment to more reflect reality.

iscariot

The "expensive" breeder We got both our goldens from refused to sell to one family who had been on a puppy wait list for months, Because "commoditizing bitch" didn't like how purchaser's children played with the pups (or behaved with people) during her mandatory visiting times required before becoming approved by her as owner of one of her dogs.

We got to hang out with sire and dam of both our dogs and visit breeders home. She was chair of state breed association. and specialized in breeding healthy (and champion) hunting dogs. No puppy mill.
    So, canine peerage and heraldry. Did the dog come with a coat of arms?

No I totally got it from the get go as I was a pre-vet major, am aware of the problems with over breeding etc
    Sure maybe some people earn their living puppy milling and I agree that is a shame but I guess I just don't understand the status elevation thing you keep talking about. I mean the folks that show dogs etc I can see having that status symbol but for your eveyday joe...I could think of a thousand better ways to elevate my status than being a fancy dog owner.
    Maybe it is so, but I just don't see the draw. Like when they go to the dog park or are walking and someone says they have a cute dog or something and Dhelihiker is going to get all Smails on them- oh mmm yes this is fifi fritz blah blah blah or blah blah blah. Nobody has ever given a shit whether my dogs are pure or not- just well behaved etc.
    Ya ok. I got you. I see A LOT of people in mpls, Chicago, jackson that use dogs as fashion accessories, social support systems and just used and discarded like some toy or gadget. People in urban areas most certainly use dogs as status symbols; just as they do with cars, watches, clothing, diamond rings and so on.

Homeo sapiens would be nowhere without the help of canines and I have great respect for pretty much all creatures.

Apologies for being more aggressive than usual. It feels good sometimes.
    Zone Controller

Or it would seem people.

Not unlike the GSD breeder I bought boy Cosmo (RIP) from. Current GSD is a rescue.

In addition to screening the client carefully, she is a member of and breeds to the standard of the SV (German GSD assn.), which means, among other things, that both sires and dams are SV papered, have the equivalent of OFA good hips and elbows and both have to have schutzhund certificates. That is a lot of training and is a good indication of temperament and trainability. The number of years they are allowed to breed is also restricted. So much for every expensive dog is from a puppy mill.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Or it would seem people.

Ya, great story. Just how naive are the British?

Your lame example perfectly illustrates my point.

Also there is not much money in goldens. Those golden creams tho, those are some juicy margins there boy.
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Not unlike the GSD breeder I bought boy Cosmo (RIP) from. Current GSD is a rescue.

In addition to screening the client carefully, she is a member of and breeds to the standard of the SV (German GSD assn.), which means, among other things, that both sires and dams are SV papered, have the equivalent of OFA good hips and elbows and both have to have schutzhund certificates. That is a lot of training and is a good indication of temperament and trainability. The number of years they are allowed to breed is also restricted. So much for every expensive dog is from a puppy mill.
    Goldens aren't expensive and neither are German shepards if that's what you're talking about
    Zone Controller

Zone Controller

you claimed price is somehow reflective of quality

i say you are completely wrong and just provided to case studies

a market is a market - they all function the same fundamentally
    you're not wrong, but you're not right either

i don't think anyone here supports puppy mills so i'm a little baffled by your enthusiasm to call out everyone for supporting them.

you call people names and throw blanket statements about both them and their responses; and then you expect them to support your bland generalizations?

Spending 2300 on a dog is bad for all.

Does that work for all
    Zone Controller

Goldens aren't expensive and neither are German shepards if that's what you're talking about
    Both of which are far more likely to come from puppy mills.

Stick to topics you know something about, like your navel or wanking off.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Both of which are far more likely to come from puppy mills.

Stick to topics you know something about, like your navel or wanking off.
    I disagree. No incentive to mill a standard golden. Golden creams are milled like crazy
    Zone Controller